Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it too early to fly fish for Stave Chums  (Read 6968 times)

fish_on

Is it too early to fly fish for Stave Chums
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:04:46 PM »

Is it still early to bring out the fly rod for chums at the Stave?

Tx

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Is it too early to fly fish for Stave Chums
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 09:58:58 PM »

The Stave River chum salmon fishery should pick up any day now based on the Albion chum salmon daily catch numbers. I spoke to a couple of guides who I regularly correspond with yesterday and they reported finally seeing a good presence of chum salmon in both the Fraser and Harrison River in the last couple of days.

fish_on

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:31:10 PM »

That's encouraging as I'm thinking of trying next few days. It's nice to hook a few of those fiesty chums on the fly. Thanks Rod.

Tomas

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 11:10:50 PM »

Guys,

Any suggestion where to go on Stave? Don't really know the area. Thanks

Tomas
---
Tomas

boscheefish

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 06:40:50 PM »

the stave is very small, if you look at it on google earth, i fish mid way, but have caught fish from mouth to dam.

watch out for rising waters

cheers
long live the vedder

Tomas

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 09:51:04 PM »

Thanks. Any suggestions when it comes to fly? Never fly fished for chum.

Cheers,

Tomas
---
Tomas

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 08:59:11 AM »

Thanks. Any suggestions when it comes to fly? Never fly fished for chum.

Cheers,

Tomas

Hi Tomas, I have only tried on two occasions and I know there are others on this forum with more experience but I did get one just by tying some colored wool above my hook.  (Tried red and Chartreus - Chartreus seemed to work better).

I used a sink tip line and a 12lb leader (3 feet) with a 9wt setup -  it worked on the Squamish.  I may try the same thing on the Stave this year if I can find a spot not too close to everyone else.

Tomas

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 04:12:51 PM »

Thanks Fishseeker,

Which size hook? Does Stave get too busy?

I was on Vedder today. Wasn't that crowded but from all people there was only one chum that I could see.

Tomas
---
Tomas

fish_on

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 09:14:35 PM »

Nothing too fancy Tomas. Any green coloured patterns. Wool works for me.  However, I was there yesterday for 3 hours using the ghost tip but did not connect. There were quite a few fish surfacing on the far side. Saw three chums on the rocks. Then the heavy rain came, time to leave the flow. Oh well, till next trip.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 08:32:41 PM »

Nothing too fancy Tomas. Any green coloured patterns. Wool works for me.  However, I was there yesterday for 3 hours using the ghost tip but did not connect. There were quite a few fish surfacing on the far side. Saw three chums on the rocks. Then the heavy rain came, time to leave the flow. Oh well, till next trip.

Hi Tomas,  the hook size was a short shank between a 3/0 and 4/0.   To be honest, I don't know what size is best I just got advice from  people ad Pacific Angler before I went out.    I am still learning myself.

I also can't tell you much about the Stave because I haven't seriously fished it but I went out there in November last year when the last chum were in - just to take a look.    I was quite amased by the number of people and by the way many people were just standing there snagging old chums in the pools near the car park.  That just doesn't seem like fishing to me.

Looking to go there within the next two weeks in the hope that the chum will be going strong then and still in reasonably decent shape.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 10:13:36 PM »

I'd stick with size 2 or 4, down to size 8...

You are talking flies, right? Even for gear, 3/0 and 4/0 are too big.

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:15:31 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Tomas

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 01:28:05 AM »

Thanks guys, some really good advices here, I truly appreciate it.

Any other suggestion when it comes to fly line etc? I use floating line before, I guess it wouldn't work on Stave, sinking line? Also leader 8-10lb?

Does tide effect Stave a lot? Which part is the best for fly fishing? A lot of questions ....

Once more, thanks a lot.

Tomas
---
Tomas

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 12:37:04 PM »

In my experience the Stave is one of the best local flows to flyfish, if you can get away from the crowds of snaggers.  Try slower waters and you might even find some coho.  This will keep you away from the snaggers too. 

I have always used floating lines and longer leaders with weighted flies.  Smaller muddlers and green wolly buggers can be good.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 12:41:56 PM »

Another thing that helps avoid snagging them in the fin or tail when the fish are in thick is to either use circle hooks or to bend the point of the hook slightly toward the shank with a pair of pliers.  I haven't found that this leads to fewer successful hookups from legitimate bites, and it prevents having to battle a fish hooked in the fin or tail with fly gear.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 12:45:43 PM »

Another thing that helps avoid snagging them in the fin or tail when the fish are in thick is to either use circle hooks or to bend the point of the hook slightly toward the shank with a pair of pliers.  I haven't found that this leads to fewer successful hookups from legitimate bites, and it prevents having to battle a fish hooked in the fin or tail with fly gear.

Thanks an excellent piece of advice.  It seems so obvious and I have never thought to do it.  Will remember this when I head out again.