Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is happening there?  (Read 14770 times)

Nucks

Re: 2008 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition upda
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 06:30:35 PM »

Could someone enlighten me as to what the "abutment" hole is?
Sure, I can do that for you. It's just below the hatchery before the river turns hard away from the road and it narrows up and fish get funnelled through. It's like fishing in a barrel. It will be easy to see as it will be lined shoulder to shoulder with people that say they are fisherman but in fact they are not. This people are your typical meat fisherman that use a power winch and a meatstick to haul in there most often foul hooked fish. Ok, I'm being polite, they are usually snagged in the back, bonked, and then stored in their camper right behind them. Who knows how many fish they stash away in one day? You will notice that english is not the most commonly used language at this hole and are not your class A citizens of British Columbia. 

The same can be said for the hole just below the Vedder Crossing. How those fish pass that gauntlet is beyond me! Wilson road is getting like this as well. When will the  insanity stop?

Gawd, personal ethics have sure gone down hill. There has to be some way to get around this. My suggestions are for stiffer penalties, more of them and possibly having the Vedder go to a "tag" system. Similar to fishing classified waters, you would have to buy a tag for your licencse that is specific for the Vedder. I'm sure this would alleviate the gong show from happening on the easiest access holes.

Don't mean to be so negative but if you were to go out on the Vedder and drive around checking out these more popular holes, I'm sure you'd agree.

Thoughts???

Nucks

Re: 2008 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition upda
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 07:10:03 PM »

Sure, I can do that for you. It's just below the hatchery before the river turns hard away from the road and it narrows up and fish get funnelled through. It's like fishing in a barrel. It will be easy to see as it will be lined shoulder to shoulder with people that say they are fisherman but in fact they are not. This people are your typical meat fisherman that use a power winch and a meatstick to haul in there most often foul hooked fish. Ok, I'm being polite, they are usually snagged in the back, bonked, and then stored in their camper right behind them. Who knows how many fish they stash away in one day? You will notice that english is not the most commonly used language at this hole and are not your class A citizens of British Columbia. 

The same can be said for the hole just below the Vedder Crossing. How those fish pass that gauntlet is beyond me! Wilson road is getting like this as well. When will the  insanity stop?

Gawd, personal ethics have sure gone down hill. There has to be some way to get around this. My suggestions are for stiffer penalties, more of them and possibly having the Vedder go to a "tag" system. Similar to fishing classified waters, you would have to buy a tag for your licencse that is specific for the Vedder. I'm sure this would alleviate the gong show from happening on the easiest access holes.

Don't mean to be so negative but if you were to go out on the Vedder and drive around checking out these more popular holes, I'm sure you'd agree.

Thoughts???

Apparently I'm wrong, little confused but everything still applies.

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 07:17:26 PM »

I count 26 beaks in the pic

Nucks

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »

Yup, half of them will have tackle boxes, coffee grinders, and most likely showed up at 8:00am and snaked their way between the people that were there at 5:30am.  :-\

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: What is happening there?
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 07:37:20 PM »

Please keep the discussion objective otherwise. If we intend to start the tongue and cheek talk and labelling people based on where they fish, how they dress, then we should not be having this discussion at all.

If people want to bring a tackle box and coffee grinder to the river, then they are entitled to do so without being judged. What is being judged here is the action of certain individuals who are not following the regulations.

There is a big problem, start developing solutions and put forward them to those who can make a difference so there is progress, otherwise it'll just be another snagging thread like last year, and the year before.

Tee

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 07:51:18 PM »

The weather forecast calls for periods of rain from Thursday onwards. Hope this will help spread out the fish in some of these areas.
I only fish on days that end with "y".

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 07:52:34 PM »

I agree with Rodney. Too often people get labelled as beeks just because they are using coffee grinders, wearing yellow raincoats or fishing a particular piece of water. Just because you're using $400 fishing rods, reels etc. does not preclude you from snagging.

Nucks

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »

I agree with Rodney. Too often people get labelled as beeks just because they are using coffee grinders, wearing yellow raincoats or fishing a particular piece of water. Just because you're using $400 fishing rods, reels etc. does not preclude you from snagging.

This is true........they're everywhere and seem to multiply every year at an exponential rate.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 11:33:40 PM »

they should just close the river from the bridge down to there, as the cultus sockeye are sure to stack up in those holes before moving up.

Why not from Vedder Crossing and down to Fraser confluence.  As low water fish will stay in various pools, oh and may be rest of the river as Chilliwack Lake sockeye move through entire system.   ::)

my reason being, they often hold up in those 2 pools around the bridge before making the trip up sweltzer creek and its more likely they will be repeatedly abused...

and the chilliwack lake strain is doing very well compared to the cultus lake run and it comes in earlier but is still around now. it doesnt need as much as help as the endangered cultus fish do. but i guess you already knew that judging by your post  ::)
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 11:59:24 PM »

they should just close the river from the bridge down to there, as the cultus sockeye are sure to stack up in those holes before moving up.

Why not from Vedder Crossing and down to Fraser confluence.  As low water fish will stay in various pools, oh and may be rest of the river as Chilliwack Lake sockeye move through entire system.   ::)

my reason being, they often hold up in those 2 pools around the bridge before making the trip up sweltzer creek and its more likely they will be repeatedly abused...

and the chilliwack lake strain is doing very well compared to the cultus lake run and it comes in earlier but is still around now. it doesnt need as much as help as the endangered cultus fish do. but i guess you already knew that judging by your post  ::)

Interesting you say the Cultus sockeyes hold up in the pool just below Vedder Crossing.  The way those 'snaggers' fishing by dragging bottom it'll most likely hit a spring not sockeye.  Look where people has been reporting sockeyes been caught.  It's usually in the shallower pools and runs not in the deep pools.   ;)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Holy CRAP.  I feel angry and sad looking at that picture - those fish don't stand a chance!  Talk about "running the guantlet"...

One more reason I enjoy going for a hike when I get to the Vedder - get away from those crowds.

screeminreel

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 12:39:57 PM »

hey, Tex..
On Sunday, after the river clean-up, I was fishing with milo and banny and had a guy with gear land a chum and a large spring by dragging it onto shore, then seeing if it's worth keeping, before deciding to let it go.  The spring seemed to take forever to revive, but he did make it.  Shouldn't they be deciding before they drag it to their car if they are keeping or not?  I know some people can tell what kind of species they have on before seeing the fish by how the fish is fighting (or lack of a fight).  I liked banny's approach of using lighter leader so when you know you have a fish on your fly-rod that is too big for you to land properly, you just lean back and snap it off...on purpose (I've used that excuse before, but it's usually when i've done a long distance realease).

Milo, I thought the idea of turning a fish over to settle it down was just for trout?  Am I wrong on that?

Bryan

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 12:57:48 PM »

hey, Tex..
On Sunday, after the river clean-up, I was fishing with milo and banny and had a guy with gear land a chum and a large spring by dragging it onto shore, then seeing if it's worth keeping, before deciding to let it go.  The spring seemed to take forever to revive, but he did make it.  Shouldn't they be deciding before they drag it to their car if they are keeping or not?  I know some people can tell what kind of species they have on before seeing the fish by how the fish is fighting (or lack of a fight). 
Bryan

Hey Bryan,

Yes, of course they should be deciding WELL ahead of dragging it up to their car.  lol  I can typically tell what species of salmon I have at the end of my line before seeing it, but not always.  They key is to be wearing a pair of waders so that you can get into water deep enough to safely tail the salmon in such a way that it's not bashing off of rocks or filling it's gills with sand.

As an additional FYI, if you're thinking of breaking a fish off rather than landing it, you're better off pointing your rod directly at the fish and clamping down on your reel than leaning back to break your leader.  Leaning back could also potentially break your rod, whereas pointing your rod at the fish puts all the stress on the line and won't damage your rod at all.

Cheers!
:D
Tex

Banny

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 01:12:19 PM »

Ya thats what I was doing, I know enough to straight line them if I want to break them off :)

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 02:36:33 PM »

hey, Tex..
On Sunday, after the river clean-up, I was fishing with milo and banny and had a guy with gear land a chum and a large spring by dragging it onto shore, then seeing if it's worth keeping, before deciding to let it go.  The spring seemed to take forever to revive, but he did make it.  Shouldn't they be deciding before they drag it to their car if they are keeping or not?  I know some people can tell what kind of species they have on before seeing the fish by how the fish is fighting (or lack of a fight).  I liked banny's approach of using lighter leader so when you know you have a fish on your fly-rod that is too big for you to land properly, you just lean back and snap it off...on purpose (I've used that excuse before, but it's usually when i've done a long distance realease).

Milo, I thought the idea of turning a fish over to settle it down was just for trout?  Am I wrong on that?

Bryan

yeah they might revive but will they survive before spawning ? hard question ! thats the only reason i always let people to take my spot and i go away to other spot
dont wanna watch those kind of acts
hardware == fish