Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jacks??  (Read 4519 times)

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
Jacks??
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:46:35 PM »

What exactly is a "jack" spring or coho?  Are they just as good to eat?   Are they counted as your chinook, coho catch or is there a special distinction as far as your liscence?
Thanks.

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Jacks??
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:01:52 PM »

Technically, it's a pre-mature spawner.  For the Vedder, you can keep 4 jack springs, or 4 jack coho.  I think you can still only keep one chum on the vedder, regardless if it's a jack or not.  You'll have to check the regs for other systems. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 11:04:56 PM »

They are excellent eating.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 12:46:09 AM »

Size definition of jack chinook and coho salmon varies between systems as each population 's genetic makeup is unique. This leads to differences in management and daily quotas between systems.

Take coho salmon for example, fish in the Capilano River are considered as jacks if they are under the length of 30cm, while the same definition is used for Stave River's fish that are under the length of 35cm (probably for most Fraser Valley systems too, but most systems do not have restrictions on number of jacks and adults in a daily quota).

For chinook salmon, the size definition is not only watershed-specific, but also season-specific. Chinook salmon that bypass the Fraser River in the summer (until August 31st) are mostly Interior region bound. For these populations, fish that are under the length of 50cm are considered as jacks. For fish that are returning after August 31st, they are considered as jacks if they are under the length of 62cm because fish from fall coastal runs are larger.

For the Chilliwack River system, there were thoughts that the adult size definition should be different for the summer red chinook run and fall white chinook run. Currently the adult size definition is above 62cm for both runs.. The concern was that the summer run fish maybe smaller, so some of the adult fish are in fact under the length of 62cm. This means, if an angler keeps 4 red chinook salmon that are under the length of 62cm per day on the Chilliwack River, he or she may in fact be keeping four adults, not four jacks. In the end, I cannot exactly remember the conclusion, members of the UF SFAC agree that the adult size limit should remain the same for both runs. One reasoning is that escapement number is being met for hatchery brood collection (obviously that has not been the case for this year until the fishing boundary change). The other reasoning is that by having two different adult size definitions, anglers may mix the two up from time to time, which does not exactly make sense since the two adult size definitions are used for the Fraser River.

Jack chinook salmon do not have to be marked on your license when they are caught. Only adult chinook salmon have to be and you are only allowed to retain one adult chinook salmon per day. Jacks are also counted as part of your daily aggregated quota of four salmon.

Daily quotas and size limits for these in the Lower Mainland streams can be found at:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Freshwater/region2_e.htm

For the Chilliwack River system, most of the info can be found at:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=18458.0

maverick

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:19:12 AM »

A friend of mine has taken several jack spring from the Vedder and has said they are excellent fish for the table.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 12:24:06 PM »

62 cm is not 22", it's 24.4".  This by defalt defines jacks as being under 24.4", which you may keep up to 4

What I am getting at is that most systems or states define an adult differently. 

I haven't heard of a jack chum either, but that's not to say it isn't possible. 

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 03:17:16 PM »

62 cm is not 22", it's 24.4".  This by defalt defines jacks as being under 24.4", which you may keep up to 4

What I am getting at is that most systems or states define an adult differently. 

I haven't heard of a jack chum either, but that's not to say it isn't possible. 
I hadn't heard or seen of one either untill two weeks ago. I caught what I thought was a cutty or small jack turned out to be a chum with full colouration and hook jaw. This fish was 1-2 pounds and was released but it was a definate shocker. I caught another one after about 2 pounds so there must have been a school of them. Sorry no pic's :P
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 06:29:42 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

JACKS ARE  BAD EATING, YUCK, I WOULDN'T WANT TO CATCH ONE!!!!!

::) ::) ::)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 06:36:53 PM »

Jacks are male fish, that are 1 year younger than the returning class of fish.
Most fish that return to the Vedder all hatched in the same year.
Jacks hatched one year later.
Vedder chinooks are all 4-5 year olds and jaks are 2-3 year olds.
The obvious giveaway is the size of the fish.

wolverine

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 06:43:10 PM »

I wish that the full age group fish bit and fought as well as the "jacks and jills" that come back a year early. The early returning have saved the day more than once for me.

bc roller

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 02:02:03 PM »

i have read that the jacks are natures insurance policy. in the case of a bad returns of regular age fish, the jacks can/will fulfill the spawning duties. my question is , when a jack fertilizes an egg , is the offspring a full term fish or another jack? anyone know.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 04:23:01 PM »

Jacks do not produce Jacks. They produce regular sized fish. All a Jack is doing is diversifying the gene pool by adding genetics from a different brood line. You are indeed right that they are Mother Natures insurence policy to make sure that the females get fertilized.

Nitroholic

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 11:19:36 PM »

My ideas of jacks are they are natures "insurance" as someone above mentioned. Correct me if I'm wrong but they are 2 year male fish.

bc roller

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 01:55:48 PM »

why would a jack carry the genetics  of a full term fish?  don't you think it would carry its own genetics, the genetics of a jack.  do you suppose that full term fish/ full size fish would carry the occasional "jack"  gene in its load of milt
is there such a thing as a hatchery coho jack ?

bc roller

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 01:57:35 PM »

yes i believe jacks are 2 year fish