Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question for Rod - fly fishing the tidal portion of the Fraser (d/s of Patullo)  (Read 3151 times)

mykisscrazy

I see that you fish a fair bit in the tidal portion of the Fraser for Pikeminnow, Char, Trout, etc. Do you ever fly fish those waters? I have spent some time in the spring before freshet, but no real luck...no pikeminnow bigger than 20 cm....and nothing else. Any pointers would be appreciated...No need to give locations as I do understand the relucatance to share that information. I usually try and fish a rising tide. Equiptment - 6 wt, various sink tips (usually an intermediate) and fry patterns...stuff that works when I am upriver or over on the Sunshine Coast (when I was living there).

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I personally don't flyfish in the Tidal Fraser River (I don't flyfish that much in the first place), but I see people doing it from time to time. There are two locations in Richmond where people do it with sufficient amount of backcasting space. One is at Garry Point Park, the other is Triangle Road behind Silvercity Riverport. They seem to be productive when the pink salmon are running through. I've also seen people doing it along Dyke and River Roads, but vehicle traffic behind you would be the primary concern. Water clarity is excellent right now, so I don't see why the fish wouldn't take a fly if they are around. Good luck.

adriaticum

• Old Timer

I see that you fish a fair bit in the tidal portion of the Fraser for Pikeminnow, Char, Trout, etc. Do you ever fly fish those waters? I have spent some time in the spring before freshet, but no real luck...no pikeminnow bigger than 20 cm....and nothing else. Any pointers would be appreciated...No need to give locations as I do understand the relucatance to share that information. I usually try and fish a rising tide. Equiptment - 6 wt, various sink tips (usually an intermediate) and fry patterns...stuff that works when I am upriver or over on the Sunshine Coast (when I was living there).

You can flyfish D/s of Patullo next year when Pink salmon arrive.

PS
I didn't tell you this.

mykisscrazy

Thanks for the reply.
Now I just have to find the time to head out and toss the fur and feathers about!

UFC

In addition to pinks, I've seen some guys do well around Maple Ridge for chum as well. Water clarity is key, and given water clarity is good right now, it might be worth a try.