Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bite's on  (Read 3834 times)

bluenoser

Bite's on
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:24:47 AM »

Seeing as many of you fish various set ups do you find there is a different bite time when using different gear.

For example....for me while fishing with Roe the bite has been consistently between 7:30am and 9am....unless it's raining.

While throwing metal it's often right at first light and after that there seems to be no definete rhyme or reason when they hit.

What about fly fishing?

I used to fly fish exclusively back East but got converted to gear by some Roe throwing friends.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Bite's on
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 11:31:50 AM »

On the vedder, the bite on roe is usually off around late morning around 11:00 am.  Earlier for coho. The combination of lower light conditions and the fact that the fish have not seen anything all night (so they have forgotten what happened the day before) makes the morning the best time.  For Blades its pretty much first light for me.  I've had coho on the chehalis chase my spinner almost to the rod tip at first light.  From what I've seen, success on the fly is very much like what it is on blades (for the ponds in the vedder anyways).

Now of course there are exceptions to the rule.  If you are lucky enough to encounter fish that have not seen much during the day, you may hook plenty of fish in the afternoon.  This of course does not happen much on the vedder!  I hate to say this but most of the fish caught in the afternoon in some of the more popular deep holes where the fish are resting are probably flossed.  I once did an experiment by putting a jensen egg at the tip of my #4 hook and fished it in a popular pool with a ton of people on it.  I couldn't catch a thing yet everyone else with their 1/0 hooks and green wool were hooking fish left right and center.  Hmm, maybe they are attracted to the hook? ::)  Sorry didn't mean to turn this into a flossing thread.

Anyways, my fishing is usually done before noon and I either leave to go home or do some hiking to scout out more water to fish.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 02:52:28 PM »

Fish will bite in the afternoon, you just have to find some that have not been pounded and molested by beeks...

I'm having a hard time finding willing biters this year. I am flyfishing.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 07:43:09 PM »

You used to flyfish and now you bait fish ? Youre going backwards ! ;D
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:17:30 PM »

Roe in the morning, till 10ish.... Blades later in the day, post 10ish, basically.....  But it all depends on the water conditions/color/speedof water.  Also has a lot to do with the weather.  Sunny/Cloudy/overcast/raining.  If cloudy, raining, deeper water with moderate speed you can stick with roe a bit longer if not all day.  If sunny, slowerish water, not really overcast, you may need to go smaller, or a blade......basically..... ;D

For example, on Sunday I got both my Coho on Blades.  Both were after 11 am.  Today, I got all my Coho on Roe, nothing on a blade.  Lost one first light, then nothing for a while and then got a Wild and both my hatchery fish today after 11 am, as I said on Roe. But they were in deeper water and I can take a stab that they hadn't seen much all day considering that I didn't really see to much fishing pressure below me in the general area. :)  SO who knows......
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 08:24:24 PM by DMW »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

hotrod

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:20:13 PM »

Fish will bite all day if you can figure out what works!    ;D ;D

Hotrod

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 08:22:14 PM »

Just switch to fly fishing and you do not have to worry about bait  ;D

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 08:55:15 PM »

Fish will bite all day if you can figure out what works!    ;D ;D

Hotrod

Precisely !

scute

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 07:51:58 PM »

find blades seem to work better with some sun to"light them up"great when sun is high in the sky for stealhead and salmon

Sinaran

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:56:32 PM »

if we knew the answers to this question, it wouldnt be called fishing anymore,  it would be called catching thats what we all love about it, the fact you can be slamming them one day and be totally skunked the very next, creatures with peas for brains are as unpredictable,  almost as unpredictable as trying to figure out women
and as predictable as women, when u have the right tool, u would please them(the fish) nicely.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

bluenoser

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 03:14:55 PM »

Maybe a step backward for me...flyfishing to bait....but bait fishing is fun...although my hook up ratio is low...2 or 3 hook ups for every 10 bites.

Fly Fishing for Atlantic salmon was similar to what it is for Coho I imagine....I know they fight almost the same....lots of aerial acrobatics.

Most common Flies used in my home rivers back east were the Dark Montreal and Green Cossaboom....wonder if they would work on Coho.