Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis River, November 10th 2008  (Read 3488 times)

jazzbass

• smoke'm if ya got'm
Chehalis River, November 10th 2008
« on: November 10, 2008, 10:06:46 PM »

Went down and parked at the hatchery at around 8:30 AM and got on to the river a few minutes later....  The river came up overnight and it was a bit colored but not too much to not be able to see wall to wall chum.. It took all day but we were able to catch a few coho and my last one was around 10 lbs and shiny as a dime.. A great day out.. Will probably try to make it out again on Friday.

bmynbr

Re: Chehalis River, November 10th 2008
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 11:22:10 PM »

Are you allowed to park at the hatchery?
And is there anywhere that you are not allowed to fish down there?

bmynbr

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 11:33:51 PM »

I know he said he parked there, but would hate to do it and get towed.  Does the main river not run past the hatchery anymore?

jazzbass

• smoke'm if ya got'm
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 01:33:34 AM »

We parked across the road from the hatchery... When I said that it took us only minutes to get to the river I wasn't kidding, it doesn't take that long to get down to water that we, as anglers, are allowed to fish. I wasn't concerned about my vehicle on the side of the road. I did not see any "no parking" signs so I wasn't concerned about getting towed.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 07:17:33 AM »

You can park virtually anywhere along the roadside outside the Chehalis Hatchery. You can park inside the hatchery from 7/8 am - 4:30 pm but must move you vehicle by closing or you'll be locked in as the staff will lock the gate. Walk through the parking lot and there is a path to the left of the facility chainlink fence that will lead you to the hatchery channel where you can see fish entering and to the river.

A warning ... do not wade this river during high water even though it looks as if it can be crossed. The Chehalis is a mountain river meaning it has a steeper gradient than most and the velocity of the water travels at a much faster volume. The river bedrock is unstable and loose with all the movement caused by repeated high water shifting it around meaning unstable footing. You can easily be swept off your feet .... it 's not worth endangering your life for a fish. It's a sickening feeling when you see the Search and Rescue fly overhead and a dive team swim past you looking for a body.
It ain't the roe bro'

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 08:54:18 AM »

Yes, listen to the warning.  I went for a tumble and float down the river in 94' ....it wasn't nice.  The river is very deceiving and powerful.  I have been on the Vedder and watch Search and Rescue pull a body out of the river across from a couple of years ago. Not a good experience.  Don't wear hip waders when crossing...! 

jazzbass

• smoke'm if ya got'm
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 02:09:05 PM »

Point taken. Methods will be readjusted and new tactics will be adopted.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 02:23:04 PM »

We parked across the road from the hatchery... When I said that it took us only minutes to get to the river I wasn't kidding, it doesn't take that long to get down to water that we, as anglers, are allowed to fish. I wasn't concerned about my vehicle on the side of the road. I did not see any "no parking" signs so I wasn't concerned about getting towed.

Yes people are allowed to fish that channel. I went the twice on the weekend, and I was sickened and didnt even take my rod apart. It was not a good impression on me as that was my first time on any of the northside rivers. People are bringing coho in by the sides, tail, head, anywhere is acceptable it seems and no one cares or says anything. The worst part is half those fish are not keepable and people are taking them for roe... funny thing is we got a bunch of roe from fish I though were unkeepable   ::)  If I ever get a job as DFO that will be the first river I hit undercover, that is sick  :'(

By the way... its not towing you need to worry about. You are very close to a reserve there and break ins are quite common apparentally. Dont leave anything visible in your car.... thats why we took our rods with  ::)

I know he said he parked there, but would hate to do it and get towed.  Does the main river not run past the hatchery anymore?

No... its like 3 feet deep in the deepest spot I saw... and we walked all the way to the end. Those fish have no chance, Im surprised at how many actually made it into the channel, which by the way probably gets fished when no one is looking....  :-\
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:13:29 PM by Every Day »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 03:40:10 PM »

Obviously the authorities doesn't care; otherwise they would pass a law prohibiting fishing from that channel.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 04:03:38 PM »

this is why less and less people post reports, constant flaming. and assumptions.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »

I agree with you- that is why I do not post much.

Feel like I need an attorney to read my post first.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 06:22:21 PM »

What do you suppose happens to those hatchery fish if those people don't take them?   :P

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 06:44:21 PM »

What should be done is to let them die in the river. Part of the whole chain of events for the ecosystem.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 07:06:29 PM »

What should be done is to let them die in the river. Part of the whole chain of events for the ecosystem.

Problem is, hatchery fish doesn't even have that opportunity.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:44:17 PM »

or sold to fish fertilizer plants dirt cheap, so much for the noble & high-price salmon which the rest of the world can only dream about
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:46:05 PM by Steelhawk »