Advanced search  

Poll

favorite steelhead/salmon rod for rivers

levelwind
- 50 (48.5%)
center pin
- 53 (51.5%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: level vs pin  (Read 17892 times)

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: level vs pin
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 11:25:36 PM »

deffinetly the centerpin, will never go back, mabey forward, "roddy lights" anyone?

On the topic of reel prices, low cost=trophy, okuma, mid cost=raven, streamsides, high price=islander, milner, kingpin, adock lampton, custom's
Fish killer 101

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 01:24:56 AM »

good point YG however if you go vintage you can get reasonable prices around $300 or less on Hardy's and some others if you can find them  ::)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

gordc

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 08:52:54 AM »

Pin for sure.  I don't think cost should be much of an issue if you consider the life expectancy of the reel.  There's nothing that really goes wrong with a pin and it's not unsual for a properly maintained pin to last a lifetime of fishing.  They last forever where a level wind has several wearing/moving parts with the potential to cause grief and money.  Just my .02

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 09:20:15 AM »

hey all well as i have said before im new to this west-coast fishing and i got the abu garcia 6500 c4 and im happy... i dis have the odd birds nest... right when the fishing was good... of course...  but i hear all the rant on its the best and well  i wanna get into it... so is the okuma aventa vt1002 any good... well its pretty daum smooth and sexy at that... but how hard is it for fishing.... like casting...  can you kinda give me quick 101 of casting a centerpin....?
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 10:28:06 AM »

Centre pin is more specialized reel and is probably more fun.
With bait casters you can cover more water faster and there is more variety.
One thing that kills centre pins for me is the price.
Even though I can afford it, I can't sell myself on the idea that a steel wheel with a handle should costs $500.
And you have to spend that much to get a good one.
Because the market is so small these guys can charge whatever they want and get away with it.

Hey adriaticum,let me tell you one thing,if you ask any good centerpin user,they will tell you ,they can cover as much water and retrieved as fast as using a baitcasting reel (if you know how).plus there are a lot of centerpin reel price from low to high end stuff ,same as the baitcasting reel.Is all depend how much you can afford.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 11:07:37 AM »

Hey adriaticum,let me tell you one thing,if you ask any good centerpin user,they will tell you ,they can cover as much water and retrieved as fast as using a baitcasting reel

LOL, yah ok.

I'll meet you on any piece of water anywhere in the lower mainland and you can show me how you cover as much water and retrieve as fast as a level with a 4:1 ratio.  And you can bring your horse as well and show me how you can ride back to Vancouver faster then me in my pickup.

I've been on the major streams in the lower mainland and fished next to guys with cp's; and clearly I've never been blessed enough to meet a "good centrepin user" who could out cast or outretrieve me. or even my nephew who is 9. Where are you cp gods...err guys?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:12:07 AM by dennisK »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 12:24:43 PM »

Big, T

I don't think so, bud.
The physics of it is just not there.
Even my tiny low profile reel, 6.4:1 can zip that float back to me while the centrepinner is just warming up.

I'm not putting down centrepins. Who knows one day I might just break down and get one.
You can't beat the feeling of a good fish on a centrepin and you need to really tune your skill to be able to land a fish with practically no help.

But all those prior comments about it's worth paying a high price for a reel, because it last long etc..
C-pins are simple reels and I don't know why they cost that much.
They don't have some new technology in them, or new steel alloy that only they know about.
The cost probably comes from the fact that they might be hand made and takes a while to make.
So the cost is probably in the labour, materials are cheap.
I'm hoping someone will come along and automate the manufacturing process and the price will come down.
But if you think about it, centre pins are fairly local.
Not many regions of the world use them as much as BC.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:27:46 PM by adriaticum »

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 12:37:20 PM »

Hey adriaticum and dennisk
All i can say is we got difference point of view and thanks for the comment.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 01:26:39 PM »

Elitist gear has to cost a lot. 

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 01:52:54 PM »

Centerpin users are actually wannabe flyfishers who can't give up bait.  :D

;)

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 02:18:15 PM »

Fishing isn't about who can reel in the fastest. ::) Although when the retrieve matters like spoon or spinner fishing I use a baitcaster. However if you are drift fishing the centrepin is the way to go. No gears causing excess friction or drag during free-spooling. You can't beat the natural drift a centrepin.

The other thing is most river fisherman graduate and move up to centrepins once they've mastered the baitcaster. Fishing a centrepin is a challenge in comparison to using a reel with gears. And really, why wouldn't you want push yourself to be better and give yourself challenges?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2008, 02:19:11 PM »

I am open to a contest.
I will bring my stinky little Revo-S (the smallest baitcaster I've seen) and anyone can bring their centre-pins.
We can have a little reel off, if you'd like.
And to make it more interesting we can put $100 in the pot for the winner who can donate his winnings to say,
Seymour Salmonid Society or some other fishing organization of their choice.  ;)
Any takers?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2008, 02:23:46 PM »

Dijon, you are spoiling my fun!  ;D

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2008, 02:32:24 PM »

I am open to a contest.
I will bring my stinky little Revo-S (the smallest baitcaster I've seen) and anyone can bring their centre-pins.
And to make it more interesting we can put $100 in the pot for the winner who can donate his winnings to say,
Seymour Salmonid Society or some other fishing organization of their choice.  ;)
Any takers?

See if Merc will take you up on that.... he owns the biggest CP I have ever seen, that things sucks in line like no reel I have ever seen before,  looks like it is 10" in diameter lol  ... and while you are at it ask him if you can see his new lighter !!!
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008, 02:34:17 PM »

I am open to a contest.
Any takers?

Who cares who can cover more water. Isnt it about the "fun" factor? Unless you are meat fishing its all about the fun. Nothing beats playing a fish on a single action reel. When out on the salt I want to use the mooching reel no level winds for me. I mostly fly fish for every species but this year for steelhead I will be using both a fly rod and centerpin. Thats if I find the time to get out....

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family