Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will you be attending the annual Boxing Day Steelhead derby?

Yes
No
Maybe

Author Topic: 2008 Boxing Day Vedder River Steelhead Derby  (Read 50674 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Boxing Day Derby
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 10:02:21 PM »

I just checked into this, the Boxing Day derby is a go as the Chilliwack Fish and Game Protective Association has two people now organizing it.

Any idea where they will sell the tickets.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 08:33:24 AM »

Here are the rules for the derby.

CHILLIWACK FISH & GAME PROTECTIVE ASSOCIATION
65th ANNUAL BOXING DAY VEDDER RIVER STEELHEAD DERBY

RULES
1.Entry Fees:
a. Chilliwack Fish & Game Club Members, Juniors (17 and under), Seniors over 65 ………….$15.00
b. Non-members ……………………………………………….$25.00
2.Registration ends at 10:00 am on the Derby Day at the Chilliwack Fish & Game clubhouse. No ticket sales on Derby Day other that at the Fish & Game clubhouse.
3.All participating anglers must have their ticket punched at one of the designated punch stations on the morning of the Derby, before proceeding to fish. ONLY ONE TICKET MAY BE PURCHASED PER ANGLER and those who weigh in a fish must present both their punched ticket and their valid and legally filled out fishing license to validate their fish’s place in the contest.
4.PUNCH STATIONS WILL BE LOCATED AT:
a. LICKMAN ROAD 6:30 am to 8:30 am
b. TAMAHI BRIDGE 6:30 am to 8:30 am
c. THE CLUBHOUSE 6:30 am to 10:00 am
5.For the purpose of this contest, fishing will be on the Chilliwack / Vedder River from the confluence of Slesse Creek and downstream to the Hwy. 1 Bridge.
6.Fish must only be caught in the Chilliwack / Vedder River on December 26, 2008, during the contest.
7.All fish must be legally caught and all contestants must display good sportsmanship at all times. The Chairman reserves the right to disqualify any contestant for poor sportsmanship.
8.All fish must be caught and landed by the contestant alone. No snagged fish.
9.A fish shall be a clipped, HATCHERY steelhead of 5 lbs or over and must be 50 cm in length or over. There is a ONE FISH LIMIT.
10.When a contestant catches a fish, he or she must proceed to the weigh scale at the Fish & Game clubhouse and weigh in the fish. In the case of a tie, the first fish weighed in will be considered the winner.
11.Fish weighed in do not become property of the Fish & Game Club; however, they may be donated for the annual Fish & Game Dinner.
12.In the case of a dispute, the Chairman’s ruling will be final. Any protest must be in the hand of the Chairman, in writing, by 2:15 pm Derby Day.
13.All trophies and prizes will be awarded at the clubhouse at the close of the Derby. Not more that one prize will be awarded to any one contestant.
14.If cancellation of the Derby is necessary, it will be announce from the clubhouse at 9:00 am on the Derby Day, by the Chairman.
15.IN THE EVENT THAT THE DERBY IS CANCELLED, it will be held the following Sunday. The same format will apply; any exception will be announced at the clubhouse upon Derby cancellation.

TROPHIES & PRIZES
1.Trophies will be awarded in the following order:
1. Heaviest fish weighed in (King Fish Trophy)
2. First fish weighed in
3. 2nd heaviest fish weighed in
4. 3rd heaviest fish weighed in
5. 4th heaviest fish weighed in
6. 5th heaviest fish weighed in
7. Heaviest fish by a club member
8. Heaviest fish by a lady
9. Heaviest fish by a junior
10. Heaviest fish by a senior
11. Smallest fish weighed in
12. Hidden weight fish
2.Trophy winners will be given their CHOICE OF ONE PRIZE in addition to the trophy in the above order.
3.Trophies will only be awarded if there is a winner in that category.
4.Prizes remaining will be awarded by draw. Only punched tickets will be eligible to claim draw prizes.

DISCLAIMER
The Chilliwack Fish & Game Protective Association would like to point out that it is the Derby participant’s responsibility to obey all laws, speed limits and to conduct themselves in an orderly fashion. Safety should be the participant’s primary concern during driving to fishing destinations or to the weigh in station. The Chilliwack Fish & Game Protective Association in no way assumes any responsibility for the participants, their actions, or the results of their actions.

GOOD LUCK AND SAFE FISHING!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:51:04 AM by Rodney »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2008, 05:48:25 PM »

I will be there like usual, hopefully I will catch a decent fish this year.....

TH

Better bring a big net then!!! :D

Paul D.

Re: 2008 Boxing Day Vedder River Steelhead Derby
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2008, 02:09:21 PM »

Hi everyone! I'm Paul, the Derby Chairman.

Here's a little inside info, just for the members of Fishing with Rod!  Whoever has the King Fish will have the choice of a King Pin Reel - value $850 or a Sage rod model 3113 - value $599.  Nice top prizes eh! :o  I hope to see many of you out there on Boxing Day.  The weather is supposed to warm up a bit by then and it should make for a great day of fishing and fun! :)

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 03:25:12 PM »

I assume there will also be a silent auction at the clubhouse?
MERRY CHRITMAS EVERYONEMERRY CHRITMAS EVERYONE
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 03:26:46 PM by eddy »

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »

they Kingpin reel sells for 600
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 04:54:08 PM »

they Kingpin reel sells for 600

Who cares what the price is, regardless of price they are some pretty nice prizes are they not? and the derby proceeds go to a good cause. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

The wife and I will be attending for our 5th year in a row, maybe this year one of us may even catch a fish,,,,,,, but Im not holding my breathe.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, 06:49:08 PM »

hey KP u should know about them ur pops said u guys own 4. Are they worth the money? Anways the prizes are sweet, but i think the glory comes to the lucky guy who can actually say, i won it.
Fish killer 101

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, 10:19:15 PM »

i got mine before the dollar tanked so it was a heck of a lot better than 600. and yes there worth it... better than kingfisher or islander
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2008, 12:41:06 AM »

The wife and I will be attending for our 5th year in a row, maybe this year one of us may even catch a fish,,,,,,, but Im not holding my breathe.

Wow so you got married?!?  Congratulations!!!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2008, 02:11:18 AM »

well we have a confirmation that i will be attending the derby, as the days pass and the derby nears i think of winter chrome. As a side note, i hope to find many a float coming down to me, that u all have a good time, and that u somehow don't hook the derby winner. Haha, common wat is a derby without a little competition. BAD LUCK TO ALL, cracked floats, frayed leaders, dull hooks, and freezer burned bait hopefully awaits you! LOL

have fun fishing!

KP we need to talk about the reel, any way i can contact u?
Fish killer 101

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2008, 04:55:32 PM »

15-20 cm forcasted for boxing day.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2008, 09:20:54 PM »

good this keeps normal people in, and the steelhead bums out, competition of the greats!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:38:19 PM by younggun »
Fish killer 101

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2008, 10:34:23 PM »

Lol I dont have a truck  :'(  Its ok... 25 bucks is a little much for me  ;D Im a cheap guy  ;)

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2008, 09:28:50 AM »

Lol I dont have a truck  :'(  Its ok... 25 bucks is a little much for me  ;D Im a cheap guy  ;)

why dont you just walk?