Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will you be attending the annual Boxing Day Steelhead derby?

Yes
No
Maybe

Author Topic: 2008 Boxing Day Vedder River Steelhead Derby  (Read 50667 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: 2008 Boxing Day Vedder River Steelhead Derby
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2008, 10:51:13 AM »

Well we never made it out as the snow was flying this morning. Hope all that went had some good luck. I was really looking forward to trying my new islander out. I guess it will have to wait.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2008, 11:09:36 AM »

Well we never made it out as the snow was flying this morning. Hope all that went had some good luck. I was really looking forward to trying my new islander out. I guess it will have to wait.
You most likely made the right decision as we are getting snow here in Chilliwack too. Of course it will be a bit dangerous out on the river as well with all the snow and ice.

I hazard to guess they will be very few steelhead brought in, I will say 4.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2008, 11:13:04 AM »

Take a walk from your place and fish ;) I miss that river

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2008, 11:16:40 AM »

I just phoned the clubhouse and there is 3 fish weighed in with the largest 7.5 pounds.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2008, 11:27:31 AM »

Take a walk from your place and fish ;) I miss that river

yup that is the plan, an easy 5min walk even in the snow  ;D

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2008, 02:12:46 PM »

So... how has it finished.  Should be pretty much over by now.  That may have also been the last fishable day for a long time.  It is still snowing pretty good over here in surrey, but that snow id supposed to turn into a lot of rain.... and the temp is supposed to warm up... that won't be good for the river. 

So much for my 6 weeks off... I have made it out 3 times.  If it isn't the cold, it's the snow.  If it isn't the snow, it will more than likely be the rain which now messes us up for a while... :'(

I really hope I'm wrong..... I would like to make it out even tomorrow... but were would I park other than teh lower river? If the river isn't out!!! ???

Rant over.  I hope everyone that made it out gets home safe and sound.  Congrats to everyone that got a fish as well. ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

river walker

« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2008, 02:39:20 PM »

the snow will soak up the rain for a few day's im sure .  If the freezing level stay's lowish im sure we will be ok.  Plus there are many others that will be good to fish .
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2008, 03:12:33 PM »

I forgot how many I saw, I believe was 6 fish... biggest 13.5lb the rest of the fish were on the smaller side, 7-9 pounds. Was a good day for me and a couple other guys who I fished amoung, Ill post later. Im surprised there wasnt more fish weighted in.
The Bigger The Better!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2008, 03:18:31 PM »

How many were weighed in last year ?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2008, 03:27:05 PM »

2008- 6
2007 -  fish
2006- 4 fish
2005- 11
2004- 13
2003- 10
2002-  7
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 03:48:45 PM by BigFisher »
The Bigger The Better!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2008, 03:40:34 PM »

weather conditions kept alot of guys in this year
Fish killer 101

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2008, 05:51:38 PM »

wade got another one today. too bad it wasnt the biggest!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2008, 06:46:07 PM »

I did not make it up to the derby for the results as my wife wanted to join the Boxing Day crowds, she said it was a fun outing. ::) ??? Well at least I had a nice cup of Tims. ;D

I thought someone that did get to the clubhouse would have posted us some final results by now. :o

All I could find out was there was only 6 fish entered for the 170 odd anglers that entered. Of course all the snow and slippery conditions on the river and the roads kept the participates at all time low for the last few derbies.Top fish was around 11 pounds. Also Wade last year's winner caught a small one.

Hopefully someone that was there at the end of the derby can give us a better report than I, maybe with a picture or two?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2008, 07:10:34 PM »

Sorry no pictures....

6 fish weighed in. I think all of them were above 7 pounds, mostly 8+ so a close derby. All the fish were relatively the same size.
Not many people up there at all this year compared to previous. Only saw around 150 people at the club house if that even.
Took a look at the prizes and silent auction items, and unless they had more stuff hiding somehwere the derby has gone quite a ways downhill since previous years.
Normally we stay for the auction and prizes, etc but this year we decided to leave only about 15 mins after getting there.

Looked like a fun day out anyways with not too many people around.
No idea who won because we left before anything happened. Hopefully next year has a better turn out.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2008, 07:15:08 PM »

I did not make it up to the derby for the results as my wife wanted to join the Boxing Day crowds, she said it was a fun outing. ::) ??? Well at least I had a nice cup of Tims. ;D

I thought someone that did get to the clubhouse would have posted us some final results by now. :o

All I could find out was there was only 6 fish entered for the 170 odd anglers that entered. Of course all the snow and slippery conditions on the river and the roads kept the participates at all time low for the last few derbies.Top fish was around 11 pounds. Also Wade last year's winner caught a small one.

Hopefully someone that was there at the end of the derby can give us a better report than I, maybe with a picture or two?
I was there and it was a fun derby. After 4 years of trying I finally caught my first ever steel but unfortunatly it was wild. The fish was around 14 pounds and slipped out of my hands before I could take a pic so I will just have to get another one ;D Chris summed it up well but the river conditions were exellent to my amazment :o I will have to get out again before it's back to school :P
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 08:01:03 PM by Steely »
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'