Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waders and bad backs  (Read 9187 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Waders and bad backs
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:32:48 AM »

I can't seem to wear neoprene waders without having  bad back-itis and so much discomfort that the pleasure gets sucked out of fishing really fast. I have hip waders, but there are big limitations. Suggestions?
http://

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
Re: Waders and bad backs
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 11:38:17 AM »

1) "Advertisers' Specials and Announcements" is probably the wrong forum for your question, Nova.  lol
2) What is the problem with the neos?  Simply wearing them?  Or getting in and out of them?  If it's just wearing them, I can't imagine it's the wader's fault... that'd be strange, though I've been surprised before.  If it's getting in and out of them, you might want to look at a nice pair of breathables.  They're WAY easier to get in and out of, and some of them even have a zipper halfway up the front to make the process even MORE simple.

:D
Tex

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 12:09:15 PM »

Maybe your shoulder straps are too short.

I know mine were so Len @ Berry's gave me some longer cordura straps to sew on. you should feel little to no pressure at all once you have them on.

Best is to have neoprene straps though and Yes if I used them more I'd go for breathables much less trouble getting them on.

Also-how heavy is your vest?

Some people pack a lotta gear..... ::)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 04:54:05 PM »

I can't seem to wear neoprene waders without having  bad back-itis and so much discomfort that the pleasure gets sucked out of fishing really fast. I have hip waders, but there are big limitations. Suggestions?

have you considered it maybe your vest? it is unusual for waders to affect the back.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 06:00:20 PM »

get breathables.
your back will love you for it.
 neo straps are pulling you down, very hard on lower back.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 09:49:14 PM »

u could always get a back brace like my pops, 3 surgeries, i think 4 fused vertibrae and he's still trudging (somehow he can hike 5 hours for sheep in spences bridge, somehow! its hard for me, and i'm 16! ::) )
Fish killer 101

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 07:00:55 AM »

u could always get a back brace like my pops, 3 surgeries, i think 4 fused vertibrae and he's still trudging (somehow he can hike 5 hours for sheep in spences bridge, somehow! its hard for me, and i'm 16! ::) )

Thats because old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time.  ;D  But I will second the idea of a back brace.  I am thinking of getting one as a wading belt because my back gets tired and tender by the end of the day.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 01:40:30 PM »

Breathables will help a lot as they sure did for me.
My old neo,s were pulling on me as well as the straps werent long enough.
Most vests are poorly designed and dont distibute the weight across your shoulders evenly whiich also causes problems.
Try and pack light and sometimes a good jacket with a few pockets is all you really need.
I also find that im not in game shape until a week or two of chasing Steelhead and then the back strengthens/loosens up for the season.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 01:53:06 PM »

What kind of physical shape are you in?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 02:02:24 PM »

I've been battling a bad back for the past year or so but I've gotten to the point where I am now able to manage it.

In my case it was a lack of mobility in my back that was giving me grief. Basically my spine was being over compressed (much of it self inflicted at the gym) which was resulting in a lack of lubrication between vertebrae and the consequential pain. What I have learned is that with the right stretches before and after loading my back I can relieve the built up stresses and avoid over compressing my spine.

As was eluded too earlier, your vest may also be a source of your problems. I have recently switched over to a William Joseph backpack/vest combo. The difference with this is huge. Rather than putting all the weight on my shoulders (and consequently through my lower back), much of the weight is instead put directly on my hips.

Another product that I would recommend are 'core shorts'. Heres the website: http://www.coretection.com/testimonials.html

Basically, they are spandex like shorts that I wear instead of boxers, that give my lower back support. I wear them for everything. Hockey, weight lifting, fishing, hiking, work. Trust me, these things are worth their weight in gold.
Actions speak louder than words.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 03:59:56 PM »

Just be carefull not to cut off your circulation with belts or other things. That can make things worse. I get a sore back fishing but it's usually caused by static load. Meaning standing in the same spot for too long repeatedly casting ( also known as spot hogging ;D). Best thing to do is make sure every few minutes to stretch or move a bit to keep from stiffening up. Especially with age.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 04:54:40 PM »

Some great ideas here for sure standing on uneven rocks for hours on end doesn't do a person a lot of good.

river walker

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 09:50:29 PM »

i think it may have more to do with the vest. Got better when i swiched to the pintail style
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

Morty

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 10:57:10 PM »

I was having back problems for a season as well.  It finally dawned on me that it was my vest.  I've done two things now that have helped tremendously.

#1 i discovered that having lead and lures in the frontmost pockets was pulling my shoulders forward.  I relocated the weight within my vest - moved some of the heavier stuff like lead and lures more to the sides so the pull was more even between front and back.

#2 When I'm fishing near or from shore I'll take my vest off.  This also allows me more stability if I have to chase a fish downstream.

FWIW
Rick
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

hotrod

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 06:43:07 AM »

I've had a bad back for many years and find when I'm working out and staying healthy the back is all good!  I use a sachel bag by William Joseph when I'm on the river. Wearing a vest and having that weight pull down on me is just not fun for the back. I can imagine, that teamed with some waders with the shoulder strap to tight and you've got yourself a recipe for discomfort.I wear Simms breathables which are extremely comfortable and have no problems all day out there! I also keep my gear to a minimum when fishing and distribute the weight more evenly throughout my waders,bag, and jacket so I don't have the pressure all in one spot all day!   Works for me so I would suggest you change your gear set ups to what works for you!

Hotrod