Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 168966 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

A bit of fresh snow this morning and a very strong NE wind with some drifting snow. Not a good day to be fishing the Chilliwack Vedder in my mind.

hue-nut

• Old Timer

very cold, windy this morning, no action for me with very few anglers out. Visibility is great throughout the river.

fishgod

Very cold - Vis mid river about 3ft seemed to color more around noon.  wind made for very difficult fishing.
Always pray to the fishgods everyday.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Confined to home with a cold so did not get out to look but strong winds most of the day, -8 last night.

arsenaul1

lookin to come back from the island on friday and fish the v with my buddies on sunday. tried the cowichan a couple of days ago, it was super cold in the morning when we were drifting some nice water about mid river but we didnt hook into anything, we were using little corkies with a spin and glo with splitshot and float - which was suggested to us by island outfitters so i know we had the right gear just that the steelhead gods decided it wasn't the day when we would both catch our first steel. hoping to give it another shot this weekend, think i should stay out here and try the cowichan or come over and hit the vedder? will ocnditions and fish numbers be improving witht the expected rain..thanks alot

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....

The water looked primo this morning when I drove over the highway bridge but it's mighty cold... Not sure where Dieter's post is coming from but the hatchery was only looking for 3 more males yesterday when I talked to them.  I guess some guys aren't having too much trouble finding fish...

A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

After being house bound with the cold I had to get out for a coffee at Tims this morning.

On the way back drove along the canal area, saw a few fishers out braving the wind and the cold. Water conditions were good.

Also saw a fire truck in the process of putting out a grass and brush fire at the base of the dyke road. Not sure if someone was trying to keep warm and the fire got away from them. :-\

hue-nut

• Old Timer

fished for about an hour and a half this morning for first light. water was nice, very very low. saw one beautiful 16-17 wild buck landed just before I left(wished I could of stayed :(). Most of the fish that i've been seeing lately have been wild and in the teens, anyone else seeing this? I've heard that lots of the native fish return toward the tail end of the season, maybe that's what it is.

hue-nut

• Old Timer

fished for a few hours today, 6 pound hatch bonked just before I got there, other than that there were no fish to be found. Water has a little more color to it. Weather was epic.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Even though we had some rain overnight the water was still Ok at first light. It has rained a fair amount since then so it is hard to say how long it will hold up.

rhino

• Old Timer

just got back from the vedder. conditions were great when i left about 3 pm.

Tee

Thankx Tee did you see anymore caught?

Yes, there was another one caught I saw and that was it.

By the way, when are you going to have smaller floats out for sale? I wanted to give them a try but prefer smaller ones.
I only fish on days that end with "y".

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Even though the snow level was down a bit today and the rain stopped for a few hours we are having heavy rain now so conditions could be iffy tomorrow, in the Lower anyway.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

Went out at just after 530pm and when I arrived at my spot the water was very cloudy, 1.5 feet vis... Threw on a larger offering, and worked down the stretch of river. Nothing for me or 3 other guys in the area.

Theres no way its gonna be nice for tomorrow morning.
The Bigger The Better!

fishgod

This morning mid river 1-2 feet visibility - no love - But the fish gods were smiling down on us for a change and it didn't rain or snow or blow -  That was a real treat. 
8lb hatch football bonked under vedder crossing bridge and weighed in at freds.  Caught on an orange gooey Bob
Always pray to the fishgods everyday.