Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, February 21st 2009: Luck out again  (Read 2402 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Chilliwack River, February 21st 2009: Luck out again
« on: February 21, 2009, 05:42:17 PM »

Fishing today is like a repeat of my last trip on Valentine Day. Went out early to check out the lower river. It was reported that a few fish were caught there around noon yesterday, so most of the crowd is now below KW Bridge as the water is really really low. Every one wants to have a crack at steelies supposedly stuck below by the low river condition. Drove along the dyke all the way to the H1 crossing. Strangely to say, at 7:30AM, I was considered late for the place as all the good spots already had many rods working on them. Saw no bent rods nor anybody sitting down. So I guess it is a slow morning there. Went up more to the train bridge area and spent about 2 hours in the general area. As far as I could see, there was a lot less fishermen in this area compared to KWB. But there was also no action also there. Bumped into an old friend who fished with me when he was a young lad but now a seasoned rod. We compared note and he confirmed that some hatchs were caught up river too lately.

So after saying good bye to him, up up & away I went. Arriving at the area where I had the last Valentine fish, I saw no body there. Great. But the river has dropped much more than last week and the good spot where I hooked the last fish is too shallow now. So back to steelhead hunting I used to do  when younger - walked, read water and casted. I must have walked half a mile casting to numerous pocket waters. There was no body home despite fishing some very good waters, and there was also not a soul where I ventured into. Finally, I was at a mini rapids and it looks promising. Casting to pocket waters near shore with no taker, I looked further out. I normally don't cast to rocks in the middle of the river with strong flow as I believe steelies will not go through the strong flow like a spring does, but on this day with so low a condition, any rocks in the middle are game. On one of those rocks with a nice rifle, the float disappeared. Wham the hook was set and a solid feel told me I had a good hook up and a good size fish though it fell smaller than the 14lb 14 oz fish on Valentine Day. The steelie went mad and dashed about with great runs. This fish did not jump though, just kept on going down in the fast water. Its power was much aided by the fast current in the rapids. I had to play really gentle to avoid snapping the line. Finally it tired out and when it came close, I could see no adipose fin. Wow, luck out again.  Bonk. The doe does have a seal mark in its belly but luckily the bite did not go through leaving only superficial marks. Weighed it with my scale at 12lb 9 oz.

Given the current river condition and the slow fishing, I count my luck in having a hook up and another hatchery to take home. Luck has lots to do with it when there are so few fish around. Many seasoned rods would cast the whole day to similar good spots and yield nothing. With a lone fish in a big stretch of water, you have to be at the right place and at the right time to be rewarded with a catch. If I had arrived half an hour late, that fish might have moved on and my day might be skunked.

My cell phone was out of power, so no picture on the spot. But bumped into one guy on the way back to my car and he took a shot for me. Hopefully when he sends me the pic soon enough, I can post it. But here is a shot of the cleaned fish at home.

This pic taken by a good Samaritan fisherman for me at the river, sent to me today

Water is in great visibility but low. Good luck and tight line.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:34:34 PM by Steelhawk »

yakideath12

Re: Chilliwack River, February 21st 2009: Luck out again
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:31:38 PM »

2fish but no pic for me  :-[ Not many actions going on

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:55:30 PM »

5:0 for me.  :(

I am done until the river goes up somewhat.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 07:27:16 PM »

I am done too for a few weeks. Will be on vacation to Asia by next weekend.  :( :)
Hopefully the river will rise more when I come back.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 10:41:35 PM »

Hey Steelhawk, thanks for the report and pic. I have'nt been out since the steelhead derby so its nice to read of a little bit of success
for fellow fishermen. Enjoy Asia and we'll see you upon your return. Thanks again.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 11:32:35 PM »

Thanks Athezone. Just trying to fill the void left by Chris not posting his famous daily steelhead journals.  Either fishing is way less exciting than prior years or he has seen enough negatives thrown at people's report - the last being the 'sin' of trying to kick a run-away hatchery back to shore.  ;D  Or that one should not lift a wild steelie out of water for a quick picture.  ;D  Seriously, just want to share some good news amidst the dismal report or the lack of any report on the river.

Dieter, you can have my spot & Milo's. All the best and make sure you post your catch for all to enjoy.   :D

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 10:32:44 AM »

Well searun17 and I where out today as well and what a beautiful day to be out on the water. Unfortunatly we did not connect with any steel even though we hit some great low water holes todays and where surprised that we did not connect. If there where any fish there I am sure they have been stung a few times before and where not going to fall for it again. I did get to feel the temp of the water when a slip on some rocks crossing to a spot and I can tell you it was cold. Luckily did not go right under and I did not get too wet but wet enough. Funny thing was that about an hour later at a different run searun did the same thing but in a deeper section and once again we had a good laugh and decided that we should call it a day to get home in time to see the Canucks beat the Leafs. No fish but the Canucks did beat the Leafs so it sure ended great  ;D

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »

thanks for the reports guys, beautiful fish Steelhawk! seems like we may be getting some rain soon here, we had a little bit here in Abbotsford.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 04:55:02 PM »

Well searun17 and I where out today as well and what a beautiful day to be out on the water. Unfortunatly we did not connect with any steel even though we hit some great low water holes todays and where surprised that we did not connect. If there where any fish there I am sure they have been stung a few times before and where not going to fall for it again. I did get to feel the temp of the water when a slip on some rocks crossing to a spot and I can tell you it was cold. Luckily did not go right under and I did not get too wet but wet enough. Funny thing was that about an hour later at a different run searun did the same thing but in a deeper section and once again we had a good laugh and decided that we should call it a day to get home in time to see the Canucks beat the Leafs. No fish but the Canucks did beat the Leafs so it sure ended great  ;D

Go go Canucks!  With Sundin now on this side of the fence, curious to know which team Chris is cheering for in that game.  ;D

umpo4

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 12:17:26 PM »

The water temp really isn't the problem,,,,,,, Thursday it was 38 F at 10am and 40 F at 3:30. I use only hadw. and got a wild fish mid day. The old thought of spinners or spoons in warm water is bunk, I caught fish at temps of 36f. We did hit 5 different spots all good water and finally got the little buck from a new channel. There just isn't very many fish around............