Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, February 22nd 2009: Birthday present  (Read 2500 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Tidal Fraser River, February 22nd 2009: Birthday present
« on: February 22, 2009, 06:04:51 PM »

The weather didn't look so appertizing today, after so many sunny days that we had this month. I still talked myself into heading out for a few hours, it just wouldn't seem right if I did not fish on my birthday. ;D The wading jacket came out from the closet again and off I went to Garry Point at 2:30pm, just before the tide peaked.

Yesterday surface action had me tossing around the idea of using fry patterns just in case those were in fact what they were feeding on. I threw some fry patterns from last year into the box, just in case the big ugly leech did not work.

A couple of fish rolled once again just before the tide peaked. I missed a couple of hits, but overall it was a rather slow but relaxing day. At 5:00pm, just before I was ready to pack up, one bull trout decided to take the fry pattern just below the surface. I saw a big flash in the water as soon as I hooked it. It didn't seem bigger than the other ones that I have been catching, but it put up the strongest fight out of all the fish in the last several days. It took a few minutes, but it was not a problem on the 6wt rod.

Once I released it, it was time to call it a day as I was pretty wet and cold. It was a good birthday present from Mr Fraser. ;D Talked to a couple of forum members today as well. :)

coho killer

Re: Tidal Fraser River, February 22nd 2009: Birthday present
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »

Happy Birthday!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 08:21:25 PM »

Ditto

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 08:24:07 PM »

Happy Birthday Rod nice fish

Nitroholic

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 08:50:34 PM »

Happy B-Day!  ;)

I was wondering what size fly rod and real you are using. I'm thinking of taking up fly fishing and buying something like a 6-7wt setup.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:54:03 PM by troutbreath »
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 09:55:08 PM »

Thanks all. :)

I was wondering what size fly rod and real you are using. I'm thinking of taking up fly fishing and buying something like a 6-7wt setup.

I was using a 6/7wt. It's a pretty heavy setup for these fish but I chose to use it for casting the heavy flies that I was using in the last couple of days. Now that I am casting smaller fry patterns, I may downsize to a 4/5wt. Floating line, followed by just 4ft of 8lb test and 4ft of 6lb test as leader, nothing too fancy.

Nitroholic

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 10:31:30 PM »

Thanks all. :)

I was using a 6/7wt. It's a pretty heavy setup for these fish but I chose to use it for casting the heavy flies that I was using in the last couple of days. Now that I am casting smaller fry patterns, I may downsize to a 4/5wt. Floating line, followed by just 4ft of 8lb test and 4ft of 6lb test as leader, nothing too fancy.

thanks Rod, I'll have a look at Berry's tomorrow

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 10:42:15 PM »

Happy Birthday. Catching a fish on your birthday. Can't beat that. Have a great one.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 11:30:26 PM »

Happy Birthday Rod. Good to see you doing what you love to do on your special day and doing it well I may add. I think we may see a little bit more of the wet stuff over the next couple days and it may improve the fishing overall but besides that its just good to see someone out and about castin and catchin. Thanks  for the pics.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 12:45:02 AM »

Thanks. :)

The rain should improve fishing in the tributaries but it may change the water clarity in the Fraser. The water is so clear now so it has made flyfishing possible (If I can catch them... ;D ). If this surface activity continues for the next couple of months, then I don't need to drive to the valley anymore this winter. :D Hopefully these trip stories get people out even when steelhead fishing is slow because there are indeed many other fisheries that people can enjoy. :)

mykisscrazy

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 01:22:37 AM »

I'd also try sculpin patterns, as well as any other baitfish patterns - smelt for instance. What about krill?
When we used to beach seine (Spring before freshet) the North Arm -  used MacDonald Slough boat launch - there were fair numbers of Bull Trout in there on both the Richmond and Vancouver side all the way to the Knight Street Bridge. South Arm put in at Ladner and same thing found good numbers of Bull Trout from the Alex Fraser Bridge downstream to the tunnel. Largest if I remember correctly was around 12 pounds, most were in the 2 to 3 pound range - we caught way more Bull Trout than cutties before freshet. When we went back out in the summer - Late Aug we never caught any bull trout but a good number of cutties. Hopefully water clarity will still be good come April 1st!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 12:31:42 PM »

Thanks MKC. :) MacDonald slough/beach area should be another worthy spot to try out I think. The second between Alex Fraser and the tunnel has always been good too, I just prefer to drive five minutes from my place instead of 20. ;D Dump Bar at No. 6 Road has plenty of backcasting space for people who wish to flyfish, but it has more tidal current since there are no bays like Garry Point. Many options until freshet arrives.