Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New world record steel  (Read 12707 times)

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: New world record steel
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 10:39:32 AM »

You don't need to kill a fish to get a mount on the wall.
If you take measurements and decent pictures from several angles any respectable taxidermiest can build a high quality replica that is identical to the true "stuffed" version.
I am qualified to make this statement because I killed a 15lb 4oz rainbow trout (stillwater) and had it stuffed.
Every time I looked at it I regretted having it done (it's now in my brother's basement) and certainly never killed another trophy.
In my opinion this would be the dumbest reason to kill a fish.
A fresh hatchery looks good on the BBQ though.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 11:05:46 AM »

WTH?

It's fish that was killed not a child! ::) ::) ::)

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 11:51:28 AM »

From the freshwater fishing regulations:
It is illegal to: Waste the fish you catch. If your fish is not suitable for eating or if possession is illegal because of quotas, size limits or  closed seasons, return the fish quickly and gently to the water.

Simple enough.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 12:34:57 PM »

It is illegal to: Waste the fish you catch. If your fish is not suitable for eating or if possession is illegal because of quotas, size limits or  closed seasons, return the fish quickly and gently to the water.

Simple enough.

Not really. Does that mean that if I am not to eat the fish, I can't wall-mount it?
Wall-mounting a trophy fish is not wasting it, IMO.
However, the above wording (from the BC regs) could mean that unless you are going to eat the fish you keep, you shouldn't be harvesting it. Hmmmm....

Anyway, the fish that originated this thread was legitimately caught in Washington State (Hoh river), and Wa. regs do not mention anything about suitability for eating. You don't have to eat your fish if you don't want to, but you can still keep it. Now that's simple enough.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 01:29:02 PM »

Simple enough.

All the taxidermists that i deal with, will save all the meat if requested.

Buster

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 01:38:57 PM »

The reg's basically say that the fish may not be kept if it is not "suitable for eating".  The reg's do not say the fish must be eaten. (-;

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »

You don't need to kill a fish to get a mount on the wall.
If you take measurements and decent pictures from several angles any respectable taxidermiest can build a high quality replica that is identical to the true "stuffed" version.
I am qualified to make this statement because I killed a 15lb 4oz rainbow trout (stillwater) and had it stuffed.
Every time I looked at it I regretted having it done (it's now in my brother's basement) and certainly never killed another trophy.
In my opinion this would be the dumbest reason to kill a fish.
A fresh hatchery looks good on the BBQ though.

Don't kid yousself, replica is never the same....  Yes they can try their best to mold it out clostest to the real fish but its not REAL....  The best in my opinoin that i seen for replica mount is made by Advance taxidermist, ON. But so what its just a piece of art work that looks like what you caught. When it came to a true skin mount, everything is there, you got a missing scale, little beat up tail, all the charters of that fish will be there. And to the end its your fish not some kiind of fiberglass mold painting.  

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 02:35:05 PM »

It never ceases to amaze me that there are so many bleeding hearts in this bloody sport of ours. ::)

For those of you truly concerned with the welfare of wild steelhead in Washington state, start writing letters to their legislators to change the regs.
You can start here and take it from there: http://wdfw.wa.gov/

[/quote]

Well put Milo, there are some pretty conflicted fishermen out there. Somehow it is okay to do what we do to fish (hooking, fighting, reviving, releasing), but bonk one when it is your legal right and now you could possibly be....what?? I just don't get it.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 04:54:39 PM »

Who said it was wrong for the guy to bonk it????  Helps if you read the posts instead of having a knee jerk reaction.  And just because somebody practices catch and release themselves doesn't mean that 1) they think any different of anyone that DOESNT, and 2) automatically qualify them as a bleeding heart!!  Myself I have zero problem taking a fish or two for food now and again.  To me I'm more surprised to see that washington allows retention of wild steelhead. 

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 05:10:55 PM »

this is from the statewide freshwater reg's for washington state:

TROUT: The combined daily limit for an angler that fishes in both rivers and lakes on the same day is 5 TROUT. In the combined
daily limit, only 2 TROUT may be from rivers, except as provided for EASTERN BROOK TROUT.
BROWN TROUT CUTTHROAT TROUT
RAINBOW TROUT LAKE TROUT
GOLDEN TROUT KOKANEE
TIGER TROUT LANDLOCKED
GRAYLING ATLANTIC,
CHINOOK,
AND COHO SALMON
In rivers, streams, and beaver ponds: Min. size 8". Daily limit 2. When fishing with bait, all TROUT
(except STEELHEAD) equal to or greater than the minimum size are counted as part of the daily limit
whether kept or released.
In lakes, ponds, and reservoirs: No min. size. Daily limit 5. When fishing with bait, all TROUT
(except STEELHEAD) equal to or greater than the minimum size are counted as part of the daily limit
whether kept or released.
EASTERN BROOK TROUT
(EBT)
In rivers, streams, and beaver ponds: No min. size. Daily limit 5. Anglers may keep up to 5
EASTERN BROOK TROUT (EBT), but no more than 5 TROUT total, and no more than 2 can be other
TROUT species. In lakes, ponds, and reseviors: Count as part of the 5 TROUT daily limit.
STEELHEAD Min. size 20". Daily limit 2. No more than 2 STEELHEAD may be retained as part of TROUT combined
daily limit. STEELHEAD may be caught and released until the daily limit is retained.
WILD STEELHEAD RETENTION RULES: ONE wild STEELHEAD per license year may be retained
from ONE of the following rivers: Bogachiel River, Calawah River, Clearwater River, Dickey River,
Green/Duwamish River, Hoh River, Hoko River, Pysht River, Quillayute River, Quinault River, or Sol

I only posted this section because it the only part that is driectly for this situation. if you want to look it up yourself here is the link

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/2008/08_regs_2.pdf

now perhaps all you guys that are crying about him keeping the ONE wild steelhead he is allowed can drop your hissy fits and let it go. I myself would not keep that fish because of its sheer size and age (would taste gross i bet) however if it was bleeding and i thought it would die then i would have no problem killing it for consumption.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 07:19:35 PM »

The thing to remember about a fiberglass replica mount and a skin mount ,is that a replica mount is forever,a skin mount does not last forever as it eventually breaks down over the yrs.

Its only true to a point.. Yes, older style method for the skin mount do have a tendency to discolor, and start leaking oil over an extended period of time.. But the moden days skin mount method never have such problems.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 07:48:32 PM »

Yeah, whatever, you're all wrong no matter what position you took.  That fish is a boot.  :P

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2009, 09:45:43 PM »

American hatcheries release way more steel then Canadian. we consider gene pool, they want numbers. there is nothing to say that the steel in question was just a hatchery fish they do not clip. is that a possibility? at the end of they day if its a legally retained fish, then to each his own. I would have retained it if it was me.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 10:08:35 PM »

Please speak up if you witnessed this fish hooked.

Please speak up if you witnessed this fish played.

Please speak up if you witnessed this fish landed.

Please speak up if you witnessed this fish bleed.

Please speak up if you witnessed this fish bonked.

Please DON'T speak up if you want to whine about something you've only heard of second hand.

jeff

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2009, 11:57:34 PM »

Rod I agree with you all the way. I have been a member here for a little over a year and when I first joined this site I was pumped, I thought to myself what a great site. I learned a few things and got to see some really cool pictures of other guys posts of fish. Being a guy who works 40 to 50 hours a week monday to friday the only time I can fish is the weekends, and as everyone knows the rivers can change all the time so I would rely on this site for some help about what was going on the river for me to make a chocie about fishing for the weekend. But more and more now I am finding to much complaining and beaking off and getting on peoples back about the smallest things. I geuss what I am trying to say is lets all get along and help each other out and talk about fishing.
Enjoying the water..........