Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surprized with the wildlife in Richmond.  (Read 7837 times)

arimaBOATER

Surprized with the wildlife in Richmond.
« on: March 29, 2009, 08:32:38 PM »

In the 10 plus yrs. that I have lived in the Richmond BC area (City of Richmond is in western Canada for yous who maybe reading this post from the USA or ???...be surprized what sites people find while web surfing) .....I've been very amazed at the amount of wildlife.--- Seen deer coyotes racoons rabbits herons swans ducks geese ...just off to the west last yr seen 5 or 6 Orca whales ( 2 miles north from the mouth of the Fraser River. Read another post recently about pink salmon being caught in Steveston Harbour off a wharf. (pt. of Richmond) .... Today which was an amazing Spring day with the blue sky & bright sun...was talking with my next door neighbour & we looked up to see 2 eagles... then "no" there's 4 eagles... well as it turns out we counted 7 EAGLES flying high above !!!!!!!------WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SIGHT!  Yes I'm surprized with the wildlife in Richmond & we're so close to ...in fact border a major city... Vancouver.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Surprized with the wildlife in Richmond.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:42:46 AM »

Those seven eagles have been circling above Southern Richmond for a few weeks now. Definitely a treat considering many travel far to see bald eagles.

This was taken a week ago.

Here's another photo from yesterday.

gman

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 04:08:40 PM »

I too saw those eagles over my house in Steveston. There may have been more than 7. Lots of eagles nests around Richmond too, with some having excellent views for photography and viewing the chicks.

I too have seen all the wildlife varieties you have mentioned. I see deer and coyotes from time to time in the area off #6 road on my way to work, but I know they are also sometmes  present in the farmland south of Steveston highway.

Just too add to your list I would include otters and beaver. A few months back while at Gary Point a beaver climbed out of the slough at Gary Point onto the trail a few feet ahead of me. Scared the heck out of me - those things are a lot bigger than you would expect! I've also seen beavers swimming in the Fraser itself. The otters I saw were in the larger sloughs (ditches) in East Richmond.

When I was a kid in Richmond many years ago there were occasional reports of a black bear coming into the blueberry fields. I guess they came over from burns bog in delaa. I don't think that happens anymore though.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »

Rodney Nice pics !!! --- About 2-3 yrs. ago seen two pairs of eagles that were "fighting for the rights" to perch on a big tree at the foot of Gilbert Rd. (at the main arm of the Fraser R.)-------- They were chasing each other ...displaying all sorts of great flying moves... even when they dived at each other near the tree I saw small branches & leaves falling to the ground. Must of lasted a good 5 minutes...like a WWE main event match.... finally a pair flew across the river & perched. --- The other pair then claimed their "prized" tree. Only if I had my camera that day----------------------------- gman you jogged my memory... I too seen a beaver..... in the middle arm of the Fraser R swimming up stream...( like you say it was "big") -------- Also should of included muskrat & big turdles ( ditch next to dyke) in my 1st "post".  ---------------ON A SIDE NOTE : These beaver really are hard wkrs.--- At 10 Mile Lake near Quesnel (1977) there was a small stream exiting at the south end... where beavers decided to build a dam. --- The stream looked more like a ditch but because of the beaver dam the stream barely got any water flow ... in fact there were just pools of water & 50% of the stream had no water at all. ---Then to my amazement  saw 100's & 100's of 16 to 20 inch rainbow trout in the pools.  They were sitting ducks for black bears ... also if they didn't get more water they would all perish...... So I went to the dam & for 2hrs  torn it apart. ---Remember sweating alot as it was hard work........Lots of water returned to the stream................ next day went over to check it out....... Couldn't believe it ... the dam was rebuilt & was as big & strong as before.....( thought it would take a week to rebuild)------ Beavers yes ...amazing wkrs... To me anyways ...get more of a "blast from watching nature" than some fireworks exploding in the sky in English Bay.  By the way this lake had alot of big rainbows even though lake was next to the highway....  remember like it was 5 min. ago... my fly rod breaking when I hooked into a 22in aprox fat rainbow...did net the fish even though in my hands was a max. 12inch rod & reel.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
http://

arimaBOATER

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »

Novabonker Hi ------ Really nice link...  Remember there was an eagle nest in Stanley park which they showed on the tv news.... After the big wind storm ...the clean up crews did not want to spook the nesting pair.......

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 12:40:08 PM »

Here are some pictures from near my house in Richmond a couple of weeks ago.  These were not taken with a telephoto.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:41:40 PM by VAGAbond »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 06:08:52 AM »

Novabonker Hi ------ Really nice link...  Remember there was an eagle nest in Stanley park which they showed on the tv news.... After the big wind storm ...the clean up crews did not want to spook the nesting pair.......

I believe it's still there. I'm going to the west end today and I might take a small detour to check it out.
http://

tommyflyfisher

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 05:43:09 PM »

I watched a pair of eagles build a nest across the road last year. Amazing! Also have seen a pair of coyotes than a few days later a pack of 4 running between the dike and ocean this spring.

YetiHunter

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 11:26:01 PM »

I've lived in Richmond for 5 years and can add coyotes and pheasant to the list. Also, my dog had an up close experience with a spotted skunk last year.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 02:21:31 PM »

YetiHunter --- Good man !!! Ya jogged my memory .... I too have seen skunks & pheasant on quite a few occassions ..... was doing an hour or so night bike ride a few nights ago & heard lots of frogs ....Blundell --- Francis area  ( neighborhood just east of Railway Ave)....most communities frogs have been wiped out.

Whitedevil

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 11:26:15 PM »

Great post...and we have to try our best to protect our environment!  Beautiful British Columbia!

dmocchi

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 11:38:45 PM »

I too saw those eagles over my house in Steveston. There may have been more than 7. Lots of eagles nests around Richmond too, with some having excellent views for photography and viewing the chicks.

I too have seen all the wildlife varieties you have mentioned. I see deer and coyotes from time to time in the area off #6 road on my way to work, but I know they are also sometmes  present in the farmland south of Steveston highway.

Just too add to your list I would include otters and beaver. A few months back while at Gary Point a beaver climbed out of the slough at Gary Point onto the trail a few feet ahead of me. Scared the heck out of me - those things are a lot bigger than you would expect! I've also seen beavers swimming in the Fraser itself. The otters I saw were in the larger sloughs (ditches) in East Richmond.

When I was a kid in Richmond many years ago there were occasional reports of a black bear coming into the blueberry fields. I guess they came over from burns bog in delaa. I don't think that happens anymore though.

Really deers in Richmond?? I wonder where they hide during the day........On a side note I have had a pair of hawks lurking around my parent's neighborhood for now about 10 years (garden city & williams). Every so often we'll here some commotion in the back yard, go out, and see a hawk/falcon trampling a smaller bird and flying off with it shortly after........Its quite a site to see.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 09:01:02 AM »

A friend swerved to avoid a deer many years ago coming back form the hockey rink in Richmond and totaled his vehicle.  ICBC thought he was nuts and making up a story.

I saw a beaver in Richmond recently and that was the first time I've seen one.

azafai

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »

yes, beautiful, like the rest of BC.