Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surprized with the wildlife in Richmond.  (Read 7838 times)

eat_sleep_fish

Re: Surprized with the wildlife in Richmond.
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 09:26:36 AM »

I was fishing at Garry Point earlier this year on a cold dreary day, and this little guy swam just a few meters in front of me.  I think it was a beaver, but my girlfriend thinks it was an otter.

On the way back to the car, I noticed this seagull who had a broken gimpy leg, but it still was managing to stand on one leg on top of a lamp post and balance in the wind

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 09:41:06 AM »

That sure looks like a beaver to me.  As well they are very thick in comparison to an otter or muskrat.  You can see it's tail behind it in the second picture.  I wasn't sure what I saw was a beaver until it confirmed it with multiple tail slappings.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »

It's definitely a beaver. I think it's quite unusual that you'd see one in the salt water as they normally are only found in fresh water.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

dmocchi

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 11:17:57 AM »

Wow......talk about being in the right place.....  8)

eat_sleep_fish

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 11:55:54 AM »

One time, I was fishing the Chapman lake up near Smithers.  We arrived at the campsite early evening, setup camp and were just sitting around.  It was a very clear calm night with a full bright moon with hardly a ripple on the surface, so we decided to go out night fishing in the little campsite bay.   Me in the belly boat, and another in a canoe.  As it cooled a layer of mist settled down and it was very eerie, and I lost sight of the canoe and was starting to lose sight of shore.  I kept fishing while working my way back, and suddenly... KERSPLASH!!  A beaver that I hadn't noticed that had been swimming by slapped it's tail on the water a few meters besides me, holy cow did I jump.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »

Here are some pictures from near my house in Richmond a couple of weeks ago.  These were not taken with a telephoto.

Those are snow geese. I was in Westham Island in Delta yesterday and I saw thousands or even tens of thousands of them in the grass fields and flying and landing in the area.

dmocchi

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 01:20:07 AM »

Those are snow geese. I was in Westham Island in Delta yesterday and I saw thousands or even tens of thousands of them in the grass fields and flying and landing in the area.

WHile on the subject of the unstoppable propagation of nature.............Friend of mine told me that the newly created Garden City pond now contains fish......Sunfish or crappie presumably that are being fished by some older gentlemen.......Anyone can verify this??? (This park is located on Garden City and Granville in Richmond)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 01:42:53 PM »

The snow geese are just stopping by, it's not really "unstoppable propagation"... just a mass migration.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 12:35:01 PM »

i've lived in Richmond all my life and i've come across all kinds of animals...i find it refreshing myself...you can add opposum to the list.

the most shocking experience i've had was actually along 8th ave (White Rock) driving towards Abbotsford...i came across a pair of what looked to be wolverines.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 04:02:55 PM »

Once was walking on the dyke very close to where the SKATING OVAL is now & seen a beaver swimming up river...looked exactly like the one in eat_sleep_fish_ 's posted pic.

Today was talking to a chap & he said the other day near #5 & River R. (not far from the tunnel) he saw an eagle with a still alive rabbit in it's tallons ...as it flew only a few feet above the surface of the Fraser R.  (brought it's catch over to the south side of the river)  Poor rabbit...but that's nature.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:09:45 PM by arimaBOATER »

dmocchi

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 03:54:47 PM »

The snow geese are just stopping by, it's not really "unstoppable propagation"... just a mass migration.

Sure...But my quote was in refence to the myriad of posts, not just the 'goose' sample. The subjective approach you could take thus is binary. Humans encroaching on nature, vice versa or a reciprocation between the two. My statement is simply alluding to the fact that when you think about it, its quite amazing that we can experience these animals (ie. geese, beavers, deers? ect.) in such approximations. And to extend this notion, the ability of nature to adapt or perhaps tolerate human influenced changes to the physical environment.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »

Sure...But my quote was in refence to the myriad of posts, not just the 'goose' sample. The subjective approach you could take thus is binary. Humans encroaching on nature, vice versa or a reciprocation between the two. My statement is simply alluding to the fact that when you think about it, its quite amazing that we can experience these animals (ie. geese, beavers, deers? ect.) in such approximations. And to extend this notion, the ability of nature to adapt or perhaps tolerate human influenced changes to the physical environment.

I see.  I am pretty sure humans have cornered the propagation market.  It has been a long time, and will be a long time until nature encroaches on human development.  I don't really think introducing sunfish or crappie into a manmade pond in Richmond qualifies as adaptation :) I know what you're getting at, however I think a subjective view favoring nature encroaching on human territory is a stretch at best.  Cheers.