Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carp fishing  (Read 8900 times)

Nick78

• overtackled & underfished
Re: Carp fishing
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 09:07:12 PM »

I would join you guys. Moved to Canada last year and the salmon season was a great new fishery for me! Got lots of information from that site here and finally a bit success. Time to give something back if I can or maybe learn something new...TerryD ;D The Brits are crazy about carp and there's a huge industry for that fish, later swapped over from that Island to all the other european countries. I think a carp fishout with some nice guys is a good idea!

fish tracker

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 10:40:35 PM »

Aren\t carp usually full of toxins from the water quality from which they are usually found?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 10:57:55 PM »

Yea I wouldn't be eating them that's for sure....
Heck I can hardley bring myself to touch them  :-\

Nick78

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 11:46:04 PM »

I got a simple solution for you ED, DON'T FISH FOR CARP! ::) Back in Europe it's a typical lake fish, so no toxins or whatever. Do you got the same problems TOUCHING a salmon or Steelhead? Those fish swim in the same waters or tributarys here as all "your" salmons, trouts, steelhead or sturgeon do. Even better, most of those fish come from the sea where most of all the toxic stuff flows into... Just think about it next time before you post mental cupcakes like this here... Cheers!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 01:52:15 AM »

Terry is in Chilliwack, which has a few places where carp fishing exists. If you guys don't know where to go in Chilliwack for a fishout, talk to Nick at Chilliwack Dart and Tackle about it and he'll let you know where this can be done. Nick works there on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, but phone ahead as he sometimes is out of town doing tagging for studies etc.

Have fun. This is typically the time when we start carp fishing around here.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 07:51:13 AM »

Hey Nick....
Its not that they have toxins or whatever you're thinking that I don't like touching them.
They are crazy slimy, they wreak, but I'll continue fishing for them because they put up one hell of a fight.
1 more thing, just because they come from the same waters doesn't mean anything. Carp eat EVERYTHING (including the stuff on the bottom you don't want to know about), Salmon and Steelhead don't, in fact they don't even eat when in freshwater  ::)

Headshake

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 03:16:31 PM »

Any carp grounds closer to North Vancouver?

Also, at hatzic lake there are so many weeds, how do you fish without getting hung up every cast?
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!

Nick78

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 09:16:46 PM »

Thought your post was based on the one before yours,ED... Sorry about that! I was a bit rude. But carp don't eat everything, they just filter worms or organic stuff like that out of the mud by sucking it in and spit everything out again that's inedible.

coho_killer

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 11:08:26 PM »

Yea I wouldn't be eating them that's for sure....
Heck I can hardley bring myself to touch them  :-\

No kidding you fish the same waters the carp live in dont ya? fraser? If there are hella toxins in carp i'd hate to see whats in the trout and salmon we catch! All they are is a big gold fish, a fish is a fish is a fish dude! touching a carp is no different than any other slipery fish that swims i find it hard to beleave that all your reports i read of yours Everyday you are scared of touching a goldfish lol you call yourself a fisherman ;)

CK
Wild fish don't do drugs!

coho_killer

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 11:13:56 PM »

Hey Nick....
Its not that they have toxins or whatever you're thinking that I don't like touching them.
They are crazy slimy, they wreak, but I'll continue fishing for them because they put up one hell of a fight.
1 more thing, just because they come from the same waters doesn't mean anything. Carp eat EVERYTHING (including the stuff on the bottom you don't want to know about), Salmon and Steelhead don't, in fact they don't even eat when in freshwater  ::)

Salmon and steelhead dont eat when in freshwater? Really since when? I tryed to say that once and had several members try to prove me wrong! Maybe the members were not from this site but apparently word on the river is they do eat in freshwater i cant prove that myself but i'm sure someone can!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 07:23:55 PM by coho_killer »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 11:43:56 PM »

Well... Salmon will not eat.
The only ime they do is out of agression, and it's more of a bite and spit it out thing.
Cut open a salmon stomach and see what you find, NOTHING in every single one.

Steelhead on the other hand will eat.
Kelts are the most likely candidates, but you wouldn't eat those things anyways.... I hope  ;)

And I rarley fish the Fraser, but all fish come through there so it doesn't matter where you fish.
As far as carp go, have you ever touched one? They are twice as bad a salmon and they actully wreak worse than a white.

coho_killer

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 08:39:53 AM »

Well... Salmon will not eat.
The only ime they do is out of agression, and it's more of a bite and spit it out thing.
Cut open a salmon stomach and see what you find, NOTHING in every single one.

Steelhead on the other hand will eat.
Kelts are the most likely candidates, but you wouldn't eat those things anyways.... I hope  ;)

And I rarley fish the Fraser, but all fish come through there so it doesn't matter where you fish.
As far as carp go, have you ever touched one? They are twice as bad a salmon and they actully wreak worse than a white.

Dude i've been hooking carp since i was 12 years old and i will tell you what, carp do not smell half as bad as a stinky white spring when u get more experience at catching them u will know the difference son! ::)   For you to say that just proves your inexperience with carp and white springs there is a big difference and you havent a clue!
And as for the salmon stomaches being empty all the time dude how old are you?  I can almost prove all what you have said as wrong but i'm not here to prove anything! :D ;D  But you report alot more than i do times like this i wish i had the pm option!

CK
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 07:23:05 PM by coho_killer »

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 09:38:09 AM »

I would just like to add that some Europeans really like eating carp and they catch them from all sorts of waters.  We English do not like eating carp as they don't taste very nice for a start and there's much better fish for food to be had.  Sea fish around our coasts have a tendancy to have higher levels of toxic heavy metals in them and some will not eat shellfish at all as they are filter feeders and tend to absorb the most, although I can't count on the scientific accuracy of this myself. 
Personally, I very much prefer to put them back to fight another day and provide more great sport.  They are a great fish and should be respected as such.

chummer

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 11:49:08 AM »

I have been dedicated to carp fishing for a long time in my life. Feeding on vegetable, aquatic insect and worms, they are not aggressive at all and very weary. Some people believe they are pretty smart. They know what they should eat and examine carefully before taking. Being able to survive in a bad condition does not mean that they eat bad food to become toxic. In some countries, they are known to be very healthy food material even medicinal. Carp is difficult to catch in winter however the meat quality is best with sweet taste during late December till February. As the weather warms up, the body lose fat and taste becomes plain and yet muddy. I never eat carp caught during April to October.           

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 01:45:14 PM »

When you see posts like Everyday's it just shows how spoiled we are here. We have trout, salmon, steelhead, halibut, cod etc etc. All very good tablefare. In other countries they are not so lucky and eat what fish they do have. Do you eat lobster, crab? They eat more junk on the bottom of the ocean and yet we here on the west coast love them. Go to the east coast and many will not eat them because of what they eat.

Carp are a great sport fish. I have been fishing them for quite a few years now. They do have a smell and are slimy but not so bad that you cant handle them. If its that bad than dont target them. You should respect these fish just as you do any other BC sport fish.

I also agree with coho_killer that white springs ( especially the jacks ) stink way worse than any carp. The white spring smell has to be one of the worst smelling fish.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family