Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swimming in Fraser  (Read 15310 times)

arimaBOATER

Re: Swimming in Fraser
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 02:10:47 PM »

Not worth the risk to swim in the Fraser River.... pollution plus under tow currents.... 3 or 4 teens a few yrs ago went over to Steveston Is. on low tide.... when they wanted to return the tide had come up.... so they decided to swim the very short distance across... more than one of them drowned... Also in Steveston harbour I know of 2 guys in recent yrs either fell off their boat or went for a swim ??? 2 guys drowned... Yes Ja like you posted there was a teen who decided to go swimming with his friend up there by #5 or 6 Rd Richmond last year & he drowned. They found his body a few days later...... ------------ But talk about doing dangerous things on the Fraser R --- last summer a young couple with their 2 very young girls ( looked like 4 & 5 yrs old) were in the middle of the channel on high tide... with ships tugs etc passing by them within 60 ft !!!!!  They were in a 8ft aprox. size air boat with plastic oars. ---- We went over & slowly towed them closer to Steveston Is. or I think some people call Shadey Is. ---------The man resisted the tow at first as maybe he did not trust me ....possibly tow him too fast (my guess)  Returned to him & said "You can trust me" ....then he gave me a line.........................  But swimming in the Fraser in most areas is just not worth the risk.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 02:13:05 PM by arimaBOATER »

UFV_Poor_Fisher

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 02:20:17 PM »

i remember one of my friends years back swimming in the fraser river off of wellington bar...aheem...he might even be on this forum somewhere....i believe he may have swallowed abit too much fraser water that trip...never the same since...lol...

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 02:44:49 PM »

Having waded the Fraser a bunch I don't remember many places where I would want to swim, not the pollution issue so much as the currents there are some heavy fast cold currents in some places and you don't know how strong they are until......... :o

shortfloat

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »

Every year i do a tonne of wading and swimming in the Fraser without having any issues in the Chilliwack area. In fact i have done so my entire life.  Obviously you need to pick and choose the spots to due such a thing, common sence has alot to do with it.

odesseus

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 03:27:54 PM »

I would stay above the outflow pipe in Mission (that's from a sewage treatment plant). However even at Scale Bar the water smells bad so I wouldn't be swimming anytime.

NFM

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 06:45:46 PM »

The Tides in the lower fraser are very big and there is alot of current, it may look like its ok from the surface but there are many many undercurrents and such that it would be stupid to do such a thing. Last year we were on the lower fraser during a native fishery watching them pick there nets and one of the fisherman fell off and was drifting with the current very fast .During a big flood or ebb tide no person is strong enough to beat the current. So I recommend NOT swimming. The man was rescued from another fisherman. The boat he fell off was no bigger then a 14ft lund .pretty stupid imo

coho_killer

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 08:44:27 AM »

Just remember reading an artical in the local rag a few years ago about a fisherman fishing the upper fraser targeting sockeye ad waded into the water with no waders on, he had an open wound on his leg that got really badly infected! They showed a pic of it in the paper and it got to the point it was similar to flesh eating disease!
Wild fish don't do drugs!

spey

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 05:39:30 PM »

I'd be more worried about currents than pollution, Ive never hesitated to dip into the Fraser on a hot summer day.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 06:04:10 PM »

Humans are the stupidest animal on earth, they on purpose dump their excrement into the water they need to drink. They destroy the air shed they need for breathing, then they they destroy the land they need for food crops. The sooner they become extinct the better off the earth will be.

Although I do agree with you on most of your points, I challenge you to find a better way to dispose of treated sewage or better yet tell me exactly what is wrong from taking drinking water from a source such as the Fraser River.
Actions speak louder than words.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 08:55:09 PM »

Unless your name is Michael Phelps I would leave the swimming to swimming pools.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 02:41:40 AM »

A few years back I swam off wellington bar and a few other bars around chilliwack. I didnt think too much about it.. I am still alive but I guess it will probably be a few years before all the chemicals from farmers, greenhouses and our waste water will affect me if it was going to lol.

Johnny_5

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 07:22:36 AM »

The currents are way worse than the pollution.  Most of the brown colour is not pollution, its natural sediment

fishnjim

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 07:44:27 PM »

i aggree...currents would scare me more than the pollution.  most of the brown is natural sediment.

dflyer

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 07:54:30 PM »

I definitely would not recommend swimming in there because of the currents.  Some areas may look safe on top but I am sure its not safe underneath!

UFV_Poor_Fisher

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 12:30:19 AM »

A few years back I swam off wellington bar and a few other bars around chilliwack. I didnt think too much about it.. I am still alive but I guess it will probably be a few years before all the chemicals from farmers, greenhouses and our waste water will affect me if it was going to lol.

hey awurban...the wader on that trip i wqas talking about that hasn't been the same since was Hutch...its matt, hows it goin?? been hitting the lakes or the vedder lately??