Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swimming in Fraser  (Read 15315 times)

Bhinky

Re: Swimming in Fraser
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 11:22:21 AM »

CLENCH EVERYTHING.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 12:14:19 PM »

Are you nuts???That river is so polluted.Try standing in it with no waders on and see what happens to youre legs,You will get a rash.

I have worked on log booms on the Fraser for close to 25 years,  arms in the water all day long,  fallen in plenty of times,  jumped in plenty of times on hot summer days ( always with a PFD on of course ), never got any sort of rash ! No glowing green skin,  no third nipples growing !  It's certainly not a fresh mountain stream,  but it's not as bad as you make it sound.  I also grew up beside the river and swam in it lots as a kid,  no issues !

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 06:53:30 PM »

Are you nuts???That river is so polluted.Try standing in it with no waders on and see what happens to youre legs,You will get a rash.

I have worked on log booms on the Fraser for close to 25 years,  arms in the water all day long,  fallen in plenty of times,  jumped in plenty of times on hot summer days ( always with a PFD on of course ), never got any sort of rash ! No glowing green skin,  no third nipples growing !  It's certainly not a fresh mountain stream,  but it's not as bad as you make it sound.  I also grew up beside the river and swam in it lots as a kid,  no issues !

Good point, while there may be some raw sewage that gets into the river after a hard rain via storm drains the effluent that flows into it normally is treated-someone already pointed that out but it's worth repeating.

I rarely use waders in summer as the water close to shore is quite warm, launch a skiff in shorts @ Deroche all the time and I've never had a rash nor do I know anyone who has.

captainzippy

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 09:48:59 PM »

Don't do it it's cold as well  as polluted. Remember that Sienfeld episode about shrinkage ;D

dspot

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 10:58:52 PM »

I know in the lower fraser the currents can get extremely strong... I wouldn't risk it. I know there's been a couple of deaths there in the last little while.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 06:55:08 AM »

Just a little advice on wading the Fraser when the water warms up.Wear wading boots.You can not see the rocks and it is not good to slip and fall in the current.Based on my experience.
Riverman

nosey

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 07:43:41 AM »

When I was  a kid swimming out to Carey Island was a right of passage in the summer, all the kids on my road did it at one time or other, it was cold and scary out there in the current but none of us drowned, you learn realy quick that you can't fight the current if it wants to pack you downstream you just reivaluate your place of departure from the water. I'm guessing that being raised on a farm and being knee deep in cow poop at least once a week raised my tolerance to fecal matter. I'm sure that there was more pollution in the river back in the 50's anyhow, at that time every community along the river from New West to Prince George dumped their raw untreated sewage directly into the river and thought nothing of it and the pulp mills and other industrial complexes just dumped everything with no regulations whatsoever. If you are not a strong swimmer with experiance in swimming in the current I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and if you happen to see a bit of toilet paper or a sanitary napkin floating by you while you're out there, oh well, keep your chin up.

deepcovehooker

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 03:40:34 PM »

I WOULD NOT EVEN STICK MY TOE IN THE WATER.  PESTICIDES FROM ALL UP THE VALLEY ARE IN THE WATER.  YOU MAY EVEN BE ABLE TO MORPH INTO SPIDERMAN AFTER A SWIM.

Davis

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 07:14:06 PM »

I like to forgoe the waders in summertime when casting for salmon on a scorching hot summer day,quite refreshing to feel the cool water rushing past my legs,I constantly dip my ball cap into the water and put it back on to keep cool,and yes on occasion swim in the mighty fraser around the Chilliwack area! Can't wait for those hot summer days casting for salmon and getting into the water to cool off! Have never gotten a rash or any other medical concern from the waters of the Fraser. My answer... yes go swim in the fraser and enjoy,but be careful with the currents,one doesn't want to get swept away,respect the river and it will respect you.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 08:16:56 PM »

I WOULD NOT EVEN STICK MY TOE IN THE WATER.  PESTICIDES FROM ALL UP THE VALLEY ARE IN THE WATER.  YOU MAY EVEN BE ABLE TO MORPH INTO SPIDERMAN AFTER A SWIM.

the majority of people eat them....

dspot

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2009, 09:27:54 PM »

eat what?

Pretty sure he means the fish out of the Fraser.

captainzippy

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2009, 08:12:26 PM »

eat what?

Pretty sure he means the fish out of the Fraser.

I sure hope he doesn't mean toes

fishinfever

• fishing is REELality
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 07:51:59 PM »

If the river is so polluted why would fishing even be open at all.
 Its true the fish don't taste the same as WCVI  but that is because they are
heading upriver to spawn.
 Currents would be big concern.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2009, 08:30:12 PM »

PESTICIDES

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2009, 10:41:15 PM »

I think i would rather swim in my toilet......wait a minute if i swim in the fraser i will be swimming in everyone's toilet ???