Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lafarge Lake, April 14th 2009  (Read 2040 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Lafarge Lake, April 14th 2009
« on: April 15, 2009, 12:07:17 AM »

Went for a quick trip after work. Started around 7:00PM. There were quite a bit of shore fishermen but only 1 tube guy. Nice to see a tubeless flyfisher wade out a safe distance to cast his flies. Trouts were not reacting to spinners and twister tails today. Saw quite a few fish hooked around the platform by the bait guys. So switched over to it and caught 2 trouts in about an hour. Release the smaller one and took a fat trout home for dinner. Here is a picture of the flyfisher enjoying tossing flies in the middle of the lake without risking others. Way to go.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:10:06 AM by Steelhawk »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Lafarge Lake, April 14th 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 12:36:03 AM »

Didn't realize that the lake was that shallow.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 06:23:57 AM »

Ya steelhawk I was there too I seen that guy out there. I  also was surprised how shallow that lake is.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 07:55:09 AM »

the lake isnt that shallow. in that spot there is a long shallow area but it drops fast when you get to the end of it (be careful) and its also not that wide so i think it can only fit a couple people. there is also the other end of the lake where you can wade out quite a bit, i think there are the only spots you can wade far enough to get your backcast off the path.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:16:44 AM »

Yes, the lake has some shallow spots. Right now, the water is relatively high already, and yet there are still spots shallow enough to wade all out. There are sections which are as shallow as this shallow ledge off to the left of the newly built platform. And don't underestimate these shallow spots. The spot where the wading fly guy stands have yielded numerous big spawners by guys tossing spoons in the left corner of that new platform. The shallows are where trouts forage for food.

There are also good shallow spots in the beach side too, from the floating dock on the north side to the newly built stairway, it is very shallow. If you toss fly there, make sure you are out safe enough for the backcasts, because the concrete walkway behind is always flooded with park users.  On the east shore, towards the north east corner, in low water, you can actually see exposed flats extending way out and the area there is grassy in dry season. These are spots you can wade out safely to backcast. For new fly guys, when you wade out, don't rush the steps, just slowly move out with firm footing before you commit next step. Without current, it should not be an unsafe endeavour if you wade slowly. If still unsure, bring a wading staff to test the water ahead of you.  ;D If all else, bring a life jacket.... ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:00:40 PM by Steelhawk »

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 12:55:50 PM »

Very true.   I usually wade when I head out to Lafarge because I am too lazy to bother with the inflatable :)

One thing I didn't know was fishing in the shallows can be so productive.  I always seem to get them near a dropoff.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 08:24:43 PM »

Lafarge lake is up to 8m deep in some spots :o
I prefer the tube as i am sitting down and I can cover parts of the lake the shore fishermen\women can not

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 10:43:51 PM »

this link will give you some info on the lake along with a little depth chart to show the shoals and drop offs.

http://www.sharphooks.com/tripplanner.aspx?subpage=lakeinfo&lake=lafarge+lake&lakeid=56
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:42:15 AM »

well done lad, thats what i like to hear
crab cakes