Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help for trout fishing rig  (Read 3447 times)

CanadianDavid

Need help for trout fishing rig
« on: April 15, 2009, 05:07:06 PM »

Don't  laugh me, I am new to this.
I bought power bait from tackle shop, it is kind of colorful sticky powder in a small bottle. My question is how I can put this stuff on my hook then?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Need help for trout fishing rig
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 05:46:04 PM »

I prefer the nuggets. The regular stuff don't stay on the hook.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 06:08:51 PM »

when i used to use that stuff i also liked the nuggets better however if you mold the gooey stuff onto the hook it will stay on pretty good until it gets quite wet.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

camtheman

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 07:15:19 PM »

with  DRY  hands scoop some out with your finger and roll it into a ball with your palms put it on the hook starting with the hook tip and slide it up to where you want it
if you have problems with it coming off wrap it in spawn netting before putting it on the hook

CanadianDavid

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 08:40:59 PM »

Thanks you guys for the help. I will try trout fishing this weekend

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »

Make sure you give other baits a go as well. Store-bought bait like Powerbait can be pricey. Dew worms, deli shrimps, krill can work just as well. Some people also use marshmallows when using a bottom rig, since its buoyancy keeps the baited hook off the bottom.

CanadianDavid

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 11:15:30 PM »

Make sure you give other baits a go as well. Store-bought bait like Powerbait can be pricey. Dew worms, deli shrimps, krill can work just as well. Some people also use marshmallows when using a bottom rig, since its buoyancy keeps the baited hook off the bottom.
Thank you Rodney, I was asking the tackle shop staff, they told me the power bait is best for trout. I will also try other bait you suggested too.
Thanks!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 05:11:33 PM »

Since you are new at this (as you say), perhaps I can share with you the terminal setups:

Power baits or any floating baits - best is to use sliding weight (such as 2-3" of pencil lead) stopped by a swivel. Use light leaders (4-6 lb) and a small hook. Make sure you test your bait before cast to see that it floats insted of sinking. With all the weeds at the lake, you need the bait to float above the weeds. There is no need for float for this set up. Just watch for a bouncing rod tip for a hook up. The bait you bought is the paste form. It is effective, but quite messy to use. Most people buy the power eggs type, which is quite durable like plastic egg. You can add some scent to it (after in the water too long) by dipping the eggs in some scent oil (like Procure etc.)

Small spinner, spoon or twister tails - cast out and retrieve slowly as long as it does not touch the weedy bottom. Need longer leader than bait setup. The chartreuse twister tails are quite effective. Polish your spinners before to make sure it shines brightly. Probably the most exciting method to fish, because you can feel the strike of the fish directly.

Sinking baits (such as shrimp, roe, worm) - probably best fish with a float/bobber. Cast out far enough so that your float sits up. If it lies flat, you are fishing too shallow. Many fishermen will fish shallower with this setup by shortening the leader and set the lead close to the float. I don't like to fish this style much, as the wind can cause havoc with the float, and also you have to glue your eyes to that float all the time.

Float with flies or twister tails - instead of using baits, use flies/tails instead. Drag the float slowly if no bite, to create action in the flies or twister tails. Try to use smaller or transparent floats. I have some transparent egg shape floats (bought from US Walmart) which can take water and so it can be casted without weight, which will make your flies more lively. This method is a good substitute for flyfishing if you cannot spend the money on the fly gears but like its effectiveness.

Lastly, true flyfishing of course, probably the most effective method, but unless you have a tube/boat and the expensive equipments or ready to wade out with safe backcasts, don't bother.  ;D

Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:28:02 AM by Steelhawk »

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 07:51:14 AM »

Float with flies or twister tails - instead of using baits, use flies/tails instead. Drag the float slowly if no bite, to create action in the flies or twister tails. Try to use smaller or transparent floats. I have some transparent egg shape floats (bought from US Walmart) which can take water and so it can be casted without weight, which will make your flies more lively. This method is a good substitute for flyfishing if you cannot spend the money on the fly gears but like its effectiveness.

Most tackle vendors carry the adjust-a-bubble floats which are very similar to what you are describing except they are a tear drop shape.  They can be filled with water to aid in casting and are clear so they are not easily seen.  For fly fishing with them put them on backwards (narrow part first) to make the wake smaller when reeling in.  Works well on a very slow retrieve with a fairly long leader.  Adding fly flotant (comes in a tube) helps to keep the fly above water if your using a dry fly.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 07:53:46 AM by Eagleye »