Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best SMALL SUV for driving the Forest Service Roads  (Read 19417 times)

ja

Best SMALL SUV for driving the Forest Service Roads
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:57:22 AM »

Would like to get the feedback of those of you that own or have driven in a small SUV to get to a fishing spot.  Which one do you think can best handle gravel, pothole, somewhat rough forest service roads?  I'm not thinking true off-roading conditions, but FSRs that would make it difficult or hard on regular cars.  RAV4? CRV? Forrester? Escape? Rogue? other?  My concern is that most of these small SUVs are based on small car platforms and therefore couldn't handle rougher conditions much better than a regular car.  I'm looking for something that isn't going to develop "creaking" sounds in normal driving conditions after taking it on FSRs a few times. Look forward to any experiences!

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Best SMALL SUV for driving the Forest Service Roads
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:41:18 AM »

i have a buddy that has a CRV and he really likes it alot. the real time 4wd is a nice feature as well. I used to own a small truck (mazda B2200) and it was just fine going everywhere, i would imagine the new small suv's would be better built.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

camtheman

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 10:13:40 AM »

nissan makes a good product but a toyota forerunner would be your best bet

ja

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 11:18:10 AM »

I've heard very good things about the Nissan Xterra and no doubt the H3 would perform great, but I'm thinking something a bit more car like, especially when it comes to gas mileage  :)

scuntor

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 11:24:15 AM »

I would say the Liberty or Nitro would be the most truck like platform. They also have the option of locking in actual 4x4 not all wheel drive.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 11:54:40 AM »

if you want good gas mileage then take a look at the Ford Escape. it was compared to those little cars and came out very well. just look at the reports
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

scuntor

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 11:59:10 AM »

Escape/Tribute are good an gas with the 4 cyl, front wheel drive. All wheel drive with the V-6 is much harder on gas. I have a Tribute and its a good vehicle but I'm not sure how it would hold up to constant forest service road use.

Robert_G

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 12:00:56 PM »

I used my Bronco II for years. Never gets stuck and it cost nothing so you can take risks if you want.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 12:58:24 PM »

For a smaller sized 4x4 I dont think you can go wrong with a forester.

Last winter we would watch the cars getting stuck on Rupert street hill, one particular day there were a couple cars stuck halfway up the hill and a little subaru at the bottom just wasnt going to wait. The guy drives as far up the hill as he can then he cuts it over the curb and drives up the sidewalk plowing through at least a foot of snow, 100 metres later he turns back onto the street and continues on. I just looked at my wife and said "we gotta get one of those things!".

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 01:01:15 PM »

If you're looking for a small SUV get a subaru impreza or forester.  They are amazing, I owned an '03 impreza hatchback.  I would take one of these or a forester over a RAV, Pilot, Highlander, or CRV ANY day.  Amazing winter and wet performance too. I feel like i should sell them I liked it so much...I miss my impreza :(  my brother owns it now but they are selling bec. he got a commuter car.  

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 01:08:49 PM »

Depends on how many kilometers you intend to put on it on the gravel roads.  Most forest service/ logging roads are littered with potholes, and spots with that washboard effect, especially on corners.  That is going to be hard on a vehicle especially  the lighter SUVs like an Escape, Liberty or Jeep Patriot to name a few. Start putting the kilometers on vehicles like that and they just aren't meant to take that kind of pounding on a regular basis. Not to say the 4x4 trucks are bullet proof, but the Toyotas and Nissan overtime will provide you with a reliable means of getting to those fishy spots, and a means of powering out in case you get stuck.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 02:10:01 PM »

Why an SUV? Why not a small pickup? Just asking.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Piranha

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 03:57:35 PM »

I used to have a Honda Element 4WD. Fun vehicle to drive and can handle rough roads and steep inclines. Everything inside is waterproof. Seats convert to a bed so no need for a tent. When traveling I had a single mattress that fit in the back when the rear seats were folded up and the front seats moved up.  :)

Spooner

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 04:50:54 PM »

I love my 2002 X-Terra . They're built on a Frontier pickup frame and go almost anywhere. They tow pretty well too(small trailer ,boat)
The only draw back is the gas milage $$$$ OUCH!!
 But for what you save off the MSRP compared to a Toyota you can afford to play.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 05:13:42 PM »

hej Ty
 What about Suzuki Samurai or Chev Tracker(same vehicle). It is a little four banger on a real frame and good clearance for off roading.