Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best SMALL SUV for driving the Forest Service Roads  (Read 19415 times)

ja

Re: Best SMALL SUV for driving the Forest Service Roads
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 09:07:09 PM »

Thanks for the feeback all.  bbronswyk2000, I know a small truck would be the way to go...but next car up to change is the wifes, and she wouldn't go for a truck... :P  Tadpole, thanks for the suggestion on the Tracker/Samurai, haven't looked into that one.

YetiHunter

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 11:17:11 PM »

I have a Subaru Outback and love it. Gets good gas mileage, has great traction and enough room for me and the dog to sleep in. It actually carries as much as my Cherokee did.
It is a little short on clearance and needed a skid plate but it handles most gravel roads really well.

BOWHUNTER

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 11:31:16 PM »

I would say if its only used for gravel roads, really anything will do, if you are looking to get some clearance make sure to have a close look at the jeeps, although they may not be built as well as the imports they sure are good outdoors, I have driven Cherokee which did very well in snow and mud with no problems except gas milage, I have driven a RAV4 which has terrible clearance but sweet gas milage and very smooth ride, and I have driven a Jeep Liberty, it has tonnes of power average gas milage and can go anywhere off road,

My new truck is a Ford Explorer Sport trac, I had to settle for a midsize as it needed to fit in my garage, it seems to give me the best of both worlds SUV and truck, I love it and it does well off road too although I would have to pull off the running boards if I needed to hit a hard core trail

Johnny_5

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 08:14:56 AM »

I love my diesel Jeep Liberty.  They don't make them anymore, but it is an awesome little vehicle.  Mileage is great, tons of torque for climbing, and its really quite small for getting down tight roads.  Clearance isn't the best, but that's what skidplates are for.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 12:29:28 PM »

it depends about how much time its going to spend off the road I own a Jeep Tj and its great for 4x4ing, its got a short wheelbase which makes it great at going through cross ditches and the 4lo is decent. The reason I like the jeep is because of the solid axles it has compared to almost all of the current or newer SUV's they have independent suspension and they are pretty weak. A sloid axel with a a truck style suspension is way stronger; That being said it depends how much your going to use it right. My jeep is great for the snow, mud, climbing hills but its terrible for normal day stuff. It has literally no trunk, the seating in the back is shitty and its not the best for loading things into. You can take the back seat out but even then its really small. The Inline 6 is really great, and has a lot of power in the lower RPM's its not as low as a diesel but its a lot better then the new JK 3.6L If your going to be off road quite a bit I would suggest something stronger that you know can take it better then other vehicles because there would be nothing worse then to have part of your suspension, drive shaft or axle break in the woods. I personally think 4 runners are great for the fact that they have lots of cargo space and creature comforts but are capable off road vehicles. I would just put some thought into how much your really going to be off road. There's guys that put 6inch lift kits on their Dodge pickups and they never see the mud once and unless you really need it what would be the point. Get a decent vehicle that suits your needs the best put some good tires on it like bfg All terrains. You will sacrifice fuel economy for some of the better 4x4 and stay away from ford suv's They have tinny little axles and the suspension isn't designed to take the beating
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 12:32:05 PM by awurban@msn.com »

janders

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 01:10:52 PM »

the outback is a good choice and its a nice city car too. Good clearance and AWD. And you can fit a boat on top :D

Sinaran

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 04:08:02 PM »

You gotta luv the Nissan Pathfinder!!
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Hello

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »

I have run all kinds of 4x4s from jeeps and landcruisers too quads and Suzukis.  I can honestly say that my 4 door Suzuki Sidekick was the best and cheapest of all too run.
Too little to break anything, use hardly any gas and can go anywhere anything else can go. 

Drive a Dodge diesel 4x4 now and I really miss the Suzuki on the side roads.

Sandhead

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »

I have a very special Subaru Outback with a H6 boxer engine. It goes everywhere and even pulls my 18 foot Lund :)
I miss my old Dodge Raider (Mitsu Montero) that thing went places i couldnt go with my subaru like Norton lake....

Cant go wrong with a Subaru though... especially the H6 models
Ain't no HO like a COHO

Bhinky

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 07:58:18 AM »

I have a Honda CRV, it takes me everywhere. Gas Mileage is great, have never been stuck in the snow. I have taken it up the road to Jones Lake no problem. The seats in the back fold flush and I can get a foam mattress back there.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 10:17:16 AM »

I have a 2008 Forrester which can handle most rough roads pretty darn good. Use to take 4 wheel drive pickup type trucks, but once your on a really rough road you kick the snot out of them. Repair bills get pricey and in the end your better off walking or using an ATV. At least you can get drive home that way. I think the Honda's and other ones are all pretty good too I just prefer Subaru.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 10:25:45 AM »

You should take a subaru for a 24h test drive.  You may have no intention of buying new but you'll get the feel of the AWD and how capable it is.....they have REALLY nailed it.  I can't tell you how many times I was amazed by how well the impreza performed in snow, slush, mud, gravel, washboard, etc....just amazed.  Their AWD has been kick my friend since 02 i think....not sure if they have changed it since then but it really is worth a test drive on some FSRs...i think you'd be suprised.

bcguy

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 10:48:12 AM »

I love my Jeep YJ, it's never left me stuck, and is very reliable, I can get many places a larger truck cant get to, and turning around on a forest service road on the side of the mountain isnt quite as hairy as my old Chev 4x4.  Moving on to a Cherokee now though, fit more into it, but is still a solid vehical...and the 4.0L engines are GREAT
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »

I have a 1988 toyota 4runner, its 4cylinder and 4x4. Tons of space to put junk in trunk, In the summer months I lay a double inflatable bed mattress in the back, im 6' . 400k on the original 22-re motor. Its a good little truck.
The Bigger The Better!

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 02:34:14 PM »

Jeep YJ is my choice .This yj and I have been through some rough ground .