Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: changing hooks on minnows  (Read 2130 times)

ion

changing hooks on minnows
« on: May 03, 2009, 10:36:21 PM »

Hi,
I'm going to change the hooks on some rapala minnows and maybe somebody can give me some advice;
1. what kind of hooks should i put? siwash i suppose but octopus also seems to be OK; rule of thumb for size?
2. what would be the proper orientation for the tip of the hook, having the shank straight behind the minnow, down, up, or to the side?
3. should i use the splitrings?

ion

Re: changing hooks on minnows
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:35:46 AM »

i've seen some minnows with the trailing single hook tip toward down, other toward up, and also toward a side (as you keep the hook shank straight behind the minnow). doesnt look to be a special concern for anybody; my concerns are:1 related to more snags (tip down) 2. missed fish (tip up or to the side). on a fox minnow i'v seen the hook without splitring, but some folks think that is better with split rings because is harder for fish to spit out the lure. if you target the corner of the mouth, wouldn't be better for the tip of the hook to be oriented to the side of the lure?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 10:29:34 PM »

Interesting thoughts on the orientation of hook and how the fish bites it Ion. I've thought about this quite a bit too and usually ended up with a headache. ;) Also take into account that some fish attack from the side instead of follow behind before committing.

For my crankbait etc, I've used two split rings and an octopus hook, which seems to work ok so far.

ion

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:00:53 AM »

with 2 splitrings + the hook gets easy in any direction + allows for a smaller hook + easier penetration
ty rodney