Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barkley Sound, June 15th 2009: Sockeye salmon opening  (Read 1052 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Barkley Sound, June 15th 2009: Sockeye salmon opening
« on: June 15, 2009, 01:06:50 PM »

Opened today as scheduled...

This morning's report:

The Inlet was HOT this morning! Most of those in the know were limited regardless of angler numbers on board prior to 7 am! Sweet! Shallow fish, many jumpers, and the sounders ringing like sleigh bells! Bit of a Gong Show at the ramp though. When I went by before 5, there were NO parking spots left, and the launch line-up was lengthy. Upon the return pass, there were still a few disgruntled boaters waiting to get into the water, as the Lucky early-birds were attempting to get their rigs out of the water. Definitely pays to be EARLY! With that type of show already underway, imagine what a cluster**** it will be should the FN center be placed there, eating much of the available parking, access to the cleaning station, and restricting traffic flow! EEEEK!  :o
Thankfully that hasn't happened.... yet...

I wandered down to Papermill, expecting the usual masses to be in full swing. I was surprised upon my arrival to find only a small handful on either side. I watched somewhat intently as I BS'd with a few of those I know, and over the course of 2 hours but 3 were hooked and one landed amongst the dozen or so anglers. Even the FN netters slowly wandered off downstream or pulled their boats off the water after a spell. River temp is over 17 degrees, and if that warms even a small bit now, the fish will become even more reluctant to wander in. Good news for Inlet anglers as that will cause them to school up out there in accessible areas. Didn't even set up my rod this morning, being quite content to simply watch.

So, it has indeed started. Appears the Best Bet is out on the Inlet for now. From the reports, numbers out there are very good, so one can well expect some success!

Time to get out & ENJOY Folks!

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Re: Barkley Sound, June 15th 2009: Sockeye salmon opening
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 11:33:48 AM »

Been a day or two since that report...

The Inlet continues to be ON FIRE! Quite a lot of sockeye abound, and limits are being achieved literally in a matter of moments. Yesterday AM (as in FOUR that is) we set out. Upon dropping the gear we were limited for 4 Ladz in 22 minutes! Blistering FAST. And, the fish are now starting to school up in good numbers right close to town. Yesterday's foray cost a whole 12 clams for fuel! ;D

The ultralights are really shining this year, in fact we've pretty well given up on the hootchie show and flipped over to straight light trout rods with light spoons - six of these at a time! Man-O-Man does it ever get the adrenaline ROARING when all six go off at once!! :o

Anyway, just a brief update: It is GOOD and getting even BETTER each passing day! If you can get here, it very much is Time To PLAY!!! ;D

Cheers,
Nog