Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which do you prefer? why?

Culcutta
Daiwa

Author Topic: Culcutta Vs Daiwa level winds  (Read 8581 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
Culcutta Vs Daiwa level winds
« on: June 16, 2009, 09:28:14 PM »

Im looking to buy my first Level wind to use in the fraser. I was hoping this poll can help me make my decision. Also what type of rod would you recommend? I currently fish with a centre pin and have minimal experience with level winds.

Thanks for the feed back! :)

glx

• I'm a llama!
Re: Culcutta Vs Daiwa level winds
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:11:16 PM »

I cant speak for the Luna but you cant go wrong with a calcutta 400B or the 400TE.  I have used both and have no complaints. 

Ill take some heat for this, but stay away from abus. 

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 10:19:53 PM »

Iv owned two lunas, and loved them. I guess other people love them just as much because my first one was stolen.
Have not used a calcutta before, but have used a half dozen abus, so this is what I have compared it too.
The Bigger The Better!

lude98r

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »

Ive got several calcutta reels and I would highly recommend them 400 te nice

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 10:50:05 PM »

Abus-are great for people who like to work ion their own reels, simple to service and if you're using it in the Muddy Fraser it'll need servicing.

Shimano Calcutta-more parts some of them plastic but still a proved design not rocket science to service one.

Daiwa-not as popular for a few reasons one is sales another is service-send one to Mikes you could be waiting months to get it back.They are a more complex design but will still stand up to the mud and grit if cared for properly.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 11:46:45 PM »

I cant speak for the Luna but you cant go wrong with a calcutta 400B or the 400TE.  I have used both and have no complaints. 

Ill take some heat for this, but stay away from abus. 

X2

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 07:13:13 AM »

Why stay away from Abu?

lapa

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 10:28:09 AM »

I would recommend Luna 300

lude98r

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 10:47:43 AM »

Why buy good gear if you dont use it?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 10:49:25 AM »

Abus-are great for people who like to work ion their own reels, simple to service and if you're using it in the Muddy Fraser it'll need servicing.

Shimano Calcutta-more parts some of them plastic but still a proved design not rocket science to service one.

Daiwa-not as popular for a few reasons one is sales another is service-send one to Mikes you could be waiting months to get it back.They are a more complex design but will still stand up to the mud and grit if cared for properly.

Sam basically nailed this one.

I've worked on a lot of different reels doing basic parts changes. Abu's are easiest to work on, then shimano, then diawa lunas, and then Penns.

The Shimano Calcutta 400B is a downgrade from their old Calcutta series. They have more plastic, and cheaper metal parts. Plus they went up in price.They also only come in a right handed model, because as I was told by shimano "Left handed reels are old technology."

The Calcutta TE (Total Efficiency) series however is still a great reel and has not changed much since it's introduction to the shimano lineup. I however find the design a little bulky and definitely heavier than it needs to be.

The Luna's (of which I own two) come in both left and right hand models, are not bulky, have an easy to access centripedal braking system. However to change any other parts on the reel is a pain.

Remember taking good care of any reel will extend it's life and save you money on parts.

umpo4

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 12:26:32 PM »

I have been a field tester for Diawa, and Shimano for years and find many of these comments amusing,,,,,I.E. "easy to repair" "easy to get at"..............Now if you buy the best possible product,,,there is NO need for repair. I now have  used Calcutta 300te and 400te for springs on the Fraser aprox . 4 years / seasons ,,,,,the drags are still like sink and cast like bran new...............
Diawa has a poor drag system for big fish requirements ,,,they still have not really perfected their ceramic washers so tend to become sticky/grabby after just a few good runs. You can't have that on good fish. 
Abu's are a joke for lasting quality but are priced for the entry level buyer as long as you carry extra  levelwind  Pawls in your pocket.
The TE line of reels  NOT 400b or the older models is the way to go ,,,however a bit spendy... Like anything " you get what you pay for..................

speycaster

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 02:35:31 PM »

For a long time i collected Abus, every thing from 1500s to 10,000 series all from the sixties and seventies . All made in Sweden, i probably have 80 or 90 in boxes, they all had to have the tools and the case. Have a lot with the original boxes. Fished lots of them for salmon, steelhead and sturgeon, service them and clean then and they are a fine reel. Abuse them and it does not matter which company it is the product will break down. Most people do not take care of their equipment so suffer the consequence and then scream about crappy reels that they bought. If you think that is a lot of level winds you should see my collection of fly rods and reels. ;D ;D

pinkwool

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 04:12:45 PM »

Abu's are good but for their purpose. 5000's and 6000's are not designed to cast 4oz on the Fraser. After 3 - 4 seasons you will get handle holder coming lose from aluminum side plate. 7000's are better for that but are much heavier and don't cast too far. For Daiwa you can easily get ceramic pawl, ceramic bearings and carbon drag upgrades from Mike so it will perform as required to catch those powerful Fraser Springs.

speycaster

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 07:05:03 PM »

i have caught lots of springs with 6000 Abus, and you do not need to throw 4 oz, 2 and under is plenty. The only time i needed a 7000 or 10000 was bar fishing or sturgeon fishing. ;D

roeman

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 08:22:43 PM »

If you think that is a lot of level winds you should see my collection of fly rods and reels. ;D ;D
So what is your point, thought the thread was about level winds......but we are all jealous....
Are you fishin or catchin