Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: English Bay, June 20th 2009: I have crabs!!  (Read 2076 times)

Trophy Fisher

English Bay, June 20th 2009: I have crabs!!
« on: June 20, 2009, 08:46:20 PM »

I’m near the end of my schooling at UBC with only seven weeks left until my I get my Bachelor of Education. I am specializing in Tech Ed (that’s wood, metal, drafting etc… NOT computers) and I spent 2 years at BCIT in Tech Ed training and am now in a 12 month  Bachelor of Education (B-ED) program. Since we have all had the same classes for 3 years now, we have all become good friends as you can imagine. While out at UBC, 3 of my buddies and I decided to go out into English Bay (just west of the Jericho pier) to do some crabbing. When we figuring out how to go about this crabbing business, I was on Craig’s List and saw an 11’ tin can for $200.00. I thought to myself that it would be a great little crabbing boat and when I was done at UBC I could sell it back for what I paid in the first place. So my three buddies and I all picked up traps and have been throwing the traps out a few times a week and let me tell you, we are catching our limit every time we go out. At the same time we have been catching some sole and big bullheads on light spinning tackle.

Cory is from Creston B.C. (the home of Kokanee beer) and has not experienced a lot of the wonders that the ocean has to offer. When we go out he suddenly becomes like a little kid at the zoo, in awe of all the wildlife and the big ships. This big star fish crawled into one of our traps and was the biggest one T.Y.(in the blue shirt) had ever seen and it was the first one that Cory had ever seen.

As you can see from the pictures, we were easily able to take home our limit in crabs that were way bigger than our measuring gauges. On Thursday we had the most difficult time getting the crabs out of the traps, the toughest out of all the times that we have gone out. All the crabs were in a fighting mood, and were out for blood. Good thing I’m too fast for those little fighters as I was able to get them all in the water bucket without being pinched once.

Anyway, the crabbing is incredible this time of the year and the small bottom fish have been a blast. My only word of advice to you is that if you decide to take your shirt off like me PUT ON SUNSCREEN (I look like a cooked lobster)

Tight Lines and Full Traps
Trophy Fisher

one more cast

Re: English Bay, June 20th 2009: I have crabs!!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 09:09:26 PM »

Ha, refreshing and fun fishing report ;D ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 09:10:45 PM »

Mmmmmmm fresh crabs. Nothing better :)

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:50:45 PM »

Nice catches.

Im finishing my B.Ed through UBC too. But in in the West Kootenay Program, even though in from Coquitlam.
we are done earlier than you though, (july 10th is our last day)

fishyfish

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 02:43:54 PM »

Do you park in the jericho beach parking lot and carry your boat down? How deep is the water you are in?

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 09:08:51 AM »

yes I park at the Jericho beach parking lot at the bottom of Tolmie ST and drag the good old tin can across the beach. We drop the traps about 200 feet past the drop off markers and I would estimate the water depth at high tide to be about 35-40 feet.