Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon travelling speed?  (Read 2840 times)

Morty

Salmon travelling speed?
« on: July 02, 2009, 11:20:16 PM »

Anyone have some reliable data on how fast our salmon move up the Fraser?  or How far they travel in an average day?
Do they keep moving, or do they hold-up from time to time?

With the implanted telimetry projects the past couple of years, and other tag data I'm hoping someone might know.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Salmon travelling speed?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 03:03:46 AM »

well i cant be sure if its the same school of fish but when i see pinks rolling like crazy at my work they are usually there when i hit the river out towards langley a couple-few hours later  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

glog

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:54:56 AM »

What I have noticed over the past 10 years is that during the sockeye season when the 1 day commercial openings  occur and you see the huge numbers of boats around the main bridges. it creates a gap in the fishing on the bars up around the hope area. It is usually approx 3 days from the time of the opening, the gap is about the length of the opening with the number of fish caught being drastically reduced.

At the chilliwack area it usually passes through about two days after the opening.

during the season we move around to avoid what we call the "commercial gap" as during the hight of the season it is very dramatic.
cheers

bcsixgill

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 10:05:21 AM »

A study conducted in the late 1950's showed that Fraser Sockeye destined for the Adams river averaged about 44 km per day.  Figure a little faster in the lower Fraser as they don't have the drastic elevation changes to contend with.

Not sure how accurate that study is but lets see if someones comes up with something more current.

umpo4

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 01:38:54 PM »

The Sockeye travel rate used to calculate all movement in Alaska is 24 miles per day,,,I.E. 1 mile per hour 27-7. That's buggyin..............  In the lower reachs ( estuary ,,,,tidal effected water)  Kings are almost at the same at about 18-20 per.
Therefore Lions gate to Mission aprox 2 days...... Tides have some affect as far as mouth of Harrison. They all begin to slow down from Hope up......
Have fun..............

umpo4

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 01:42:18 PM »

Tests have shown in the USA ,,,Steelhead travel aprox 3 miles per day & Coho nobody knows ,,,,they are a cat of a different color............Wild and hatchery fish move at diff. rates too.............

fish_on

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 10:05:02 PM »

Very interesting stats about travelling speed. Could someone enlighten on what part (near or middle) of the river and what height (bottom, middle or top) the different species of salmon travel...for instance do Spring travel in deeper faster flow?

I often wonder about this... as most stand in almost waist high at the Scale bar???

cheers, tight lines.

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 10:25:19 PM »

I was once told by a wise man that springs will generally travel in 5'-8' of water and through my experience that advise has held true. When I was at mountain bar today with westform the people above us pulled in 2 and the people bellow us pulled 1 and all 3 fish were caught bar fishing in the magic 5'-8' depth of water.

I believe that the water is faster in the middle of the river that by the edges but I'm not too sure about that ???

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 06:52:33 PM »

Fish are generally like us, they are lazy and want the easiest way upstream.  Large fish like springs don't mind a faster current as they can handle it but don't forget that none of the fish feed in freshwater so they need to conserve energy.  Most salmon will basically travel along the shoreline within a few feet of water as they move up along the bottom.  All fish will utilize deeper slots, eddies, and seams in the flow to save their own energy stocks.

rides bike to work

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 08:53:28 PM »

My old man told me to fish 5 hours after low tide so that you are fishing the rising tide in chilliwack that brings in the new fish.In my experience this seems to work.I also noticed the natives use the same schedual.

fish_on

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 10:57:48 PM »

Thanks TF and GHC. In light with what the wise man said, rather than casting the 3 oz bb way out in the middle, why not just cast 2 oz bb  to the 5' to 8' zone...conserve our energy too.   javascript:void(0);