Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, July 4th 2009  (Read 3587 times)

Robert_G

Re: Chilliwack River, July 4th 2009
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 07:17:56 PM »

A 20lb steelhead is most likely not 2 trips to the ocean but in fact 3 or 4 years at sea eating more to grow that big. Most steelhead in the Vedder will be 2 fresh/2 salt life cycles and the larger ones stay out longer and therefore wiill most likely be 2 fresh/3 salt oir 2 fresh/4 salt life cycles.

I have no idea where you got that information from.
Biologists say that even in the best systems, only 30% of Winter Steelhead GO to the ocean a 2nd time. The percentage that actually RETURN a second time is even less.
As for a 3rd or 4th cycle....the percentages dwindle to almost 0.
Unless you're fishing in the Thompson, Kispiox, Kalum.....or other Skeena Tribs...a 20lb steely is going to be a second cycle return. Vedder river fish just don't get that big in one cycle.

speycaster

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »

What he is saying is that the fish spend 2 years in freshwater and 2 years in the salt, 2 years freshwater and 3 years in the salt and a few exceptional fish spend 2 years in freshwater  4 in the salt.

Robert_G

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 06:15:32 AM »

Definetly a misread on my part. My apologies...but a few years back I remember reading an article (think it was in BC Outdoors) on the Vedder Steelhead, and it was mentioned that most large fish (20lbs +) were 2nd cycle fish...and that most streams other then the one's I mentioned earlier were that way as well.

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 09:17:57 AM »

i had a dream on sat night that there were dead steelies in the coquitlam river.. Everywhere!
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find