Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, July 12th 2009  (Read 2055 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, July 12th 2009
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:06:36 PM »

With some fresh bugs in hand after the event in Stevenson yesterday I too make a quite trip to the Vedder as I heard rumours there was some chinook around.

After leaving the Leaf Mobile on Peach Road I quickly saw fisherforever landing a rainbow on his fly rod. As I reached the first hole I was going to try he trotted up and we had a good visit while I made a few casts with a nice looking bug, that failed to attack the attention to even a smolt let along a red chinook. We move back downstream and I tried a spot from atop the Rotary Trail. While FF received a call on his cell phone a smolt enjoyed breakfast complements of the bug. Was nice to see the Maple Leaf Drennan move ot5her than too many pikeminnows on a river trip last week,

As I slipped another tasty morsel of a ghost shrimp on FF hung up from his call "miss one he says", "no just a smolt" I say as I make my next cast it to see all but the tail section of the bug gone. The little bit of bait and the red wool are enough for another pull down and I am battling a "11 incher". I ask Gord if he could slip, not fall over the steep incline and release the fish as I did not of course want to hoist the fish up 15 feet on bank and then throw it back down to the water after I had removed the hook. Gord was so good to do the honours and he got his morning exercise doing it. I shot a small video clip of the procedure hoping of course FF did not made a fishing blooper in the process. ;D

That was it as I decided to head home as had to pickup one grandson to take to church with me.

I met a chap on the way out that seemed to know what he was talking about, "give it another week, I tend to believe him. Anyway a nice little trip visiting with FF, on a lovely Sunday morning ,on the Vedder.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 03:11:45 PM by chris gadsden »

Every Day

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, July 12th 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 03:51:15 PM »

Went to Lickman Road for a quick little fly fishing excursion with my friend and uncle.
Only managed 4 fish on dries in the 30 mins we were out.
Saw another 2 dollies killed at Lickman today, one quite large at around 4 pounds. I really wish people would read the freaking regs. Gotta start bringing my cell.
Other than that didnt see any fish roll today at all, unlike the last 3 days.
Springs and socks are both starting to show up... might start taking the drift rod out with prawns every morning before work  ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Chilliwack River, July 12th 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 04:37:24 PM »

The sockeye are rolling, but nothing was biting today. Lots of people bouncing the train bridge, and one red taken at first light.
The Bigger The Better!

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 05:20:58 PM »

Was fishing a spot on the lower this morning around 10:30 or so. Within five minutes of fishing, saw a chinook roll right infront of me. No luck hooking it though, one solid bite was all i could get. Later on as i tried, another guy fishing a little ways up from me, hooked a 14ish lb doe. I helped him pull it out of the water and after writing it down on his lisence and cleaning it, he was on his way. I drove to a spot mid river that i fished a lot this year for steelhead. Mostly wanted to just scope it out, see if it changed much through the high water. As i walked the bank, making a few casts, i found an area that had two springs jumping numerous times. I was out of roe as well as time but made a few attemps to entice a bite. Nothing today, but I'll be back there another day.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 07:14:54 PM »

a few hours on the river for me, really good to get back out on the flow. Lots of little future steelies landed but no Chinook, did not even see any roll. However there were a few lulls in action, which made me feel like some larger fish had moved into the pool. All in all it was a great day on the river.

skunked

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 09:35:36 PM »

took my 2 nephews out for there first time fishing down to the vedder both caught and realeased there first fishes.both are super excited to get out fishing again too. was a great day on the flow

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 09:56:40 PM »

Was fishing a spot on the lower this morning around 10:30 or so. Within five minutes of fishing, saw a chinook roll right infront of me. No luck hooking it though, one solid bite was all i could get. Later on as i tried, another guy fishing a little ways up from me, hooked a 14ish lb doe. I helped him pull it out of the water and after writing it down on his lisence and cleaning it, he was on his way. I drove to a spot mid river that i fished a lot this year for steelhead. Mostly wanted to just scope it out, see if it changed much through the high water. As i walked the bank, making a few casts, i found an area that had two springs jumping numerous times. I was out of roe as well as time but made a few attemps to entice a bite. Nothing today, but I'll be back there another day.

Are you sure those rolling fish werent sockeyes? There were quite a few around.
I believe I was fishing across from you in the lower around noon today, Im assuming because you were wearing the same waders that are in your display picture...
The Bigger The Better!

yakideath12

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 12:02:07 AM »

Does ghost shrimp works on spring? never try that before. ???

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 07:19:40 AM »

The one i saw in the morning roll, i didn't get a great look at but within an hour a guy just up from me, same run, pulled a spring out. Could of been a sockeye, but there were chinook present for sure. At the other spot, they were definately spring, i got a really good luck as one came pretty far out of the water, not just a roll on the surface.

Yeah that was probably me you saw. That was the only spot i tried yesterday morning that had people across. That spot defiantly has some potential, didnt fish it too long though.