Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Mouth, July 18th 2009  (Read 1044 times)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
Fraser River Mouth, July 18th 2009
« on: July 20, 2009, 03:36:35 PM »

A client invited me out in his boat for the first trip of the season, so after some dusting off of the gears and pulling the rods out of storage, a friend and I helped my client launch and then we made the run to the mouth of the Fraser River.

With the lines down, dummy flashers and anchovies, we proceeded to troll here and there, enjoying the sunshine, waiting for the bite we hoped we'd finally get.  I went fishing with this gent twice last year, and no fish had graced the boat yet.

Suddenly, my friend points out - "why is that rod straight?" 

I looked over and saw the slack line, so I yelled at my client to get the rod (he'd drawn first fish).  He jumped across the boat and reeled like mad until the line was tight, and set the hook.  "Feels like a dogfish" he groaned.  I noted, however, that the rod was bent a lot more than a dogfish would manage, and I said as much.  The reel answered my thoughts with a screaming run - fish on!

After a decent battle (but nothing to write home about), we landed a nice 23lb spring.  Not completely chrome, but still very silver.  There wasn't another chance at a fish that day, but back at the dock we split up the salmon and were each enjoying our cut for dinner that weekend.  Mmm... freshly caught red spring!

Cheers,
:D
Tex

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser River Mouth, July 18th 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 08:25:09 PM »

Good on ya!