Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2009?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon  (Read 211477 times)

funpig

Re: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2009, 10:46:15 AM »

I was also at No. 3 Road at about 4:30 - 5:30  pm.  It looked pretty quiet.  I saw only one jumper, one seal and no bites.  I figure on taking the dog and kids out there this afternoon.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2009, 12:50:32 PM »

I was chuckin the Fraser at the canal mouth on thurs from 8 thru 11ish, a few jumping and a seal but other than a beautiful morning, not much going on up there.... water in the canal looked low low low!

Walked around Fort Langley up to two bit and up to the end of river road thurs evening and saw some jumpers, one or two every three or four mins and a couple seals.... saw 10 or 12 people barring and chucking but nothing being taken home!

out at Fort Langley yesterday hiking in the morning from about 830 to 10ish near low tide, saw a few fin and a couple jump..... took out the rod in the afternoon for a couple hours from 2:30 to 5:00 up around two bit and saw nothing at all but one lonley hungry seal - wind picked up pretty good and the family was coming home so I left.... 
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

vapor

« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2009, 03:33:55 PM »

Man, its still pretty quiet out..

Was at No.3-2 today.. lots of people, no fish, no jumps.. I geuss its still too early?

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2009, 05:17:40 PM »

Went out to Duncan and checked out Poplar this afternoon for the incoming.  Spent about 2 hours at Duncan and saw a handful of jumpers and a few seals.  Most of the jumping was out in the middle of the channel, well beyond casting range.  There were under a doz people with no fish caught.  Just a sunny afternoon.   8)

mr.p

« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2009, 09:00:17 PM »

Out again this evening from 1730-1830.
Approximately 10 guys fishing along the dike.  I saw 1 fish hooked and quickly lost.
No risers.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2009, 09:36:57 PM »

Again between 3 and 2 road.  Saw some risers out in the middle of the channel, but no bites fishing the incoming tide until about 4pm.  One guy got one near the fising pier but it looked like even the seal was not eating tonight.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2009, 09:57:22 PM »

It's good to see so much perseverance and anticipation in this fishery. :) With so much effort expended yet little reward so far, quite a few people have been asking why they are so late. They are in fact not late, we are simply just trying to get them earlier this year. I usually start my search on August 15th as there are always some fish making their way into the river during the incoming tide at certain spots. I took a look at my notes from the past three seasons and would like to share those with you, so perhaps it could ease the anxiety slightly. ;)

In 2007, the bulk of the run didn't come through South Arm until September 5th or 6th. On the weekend of September 8th and 9th, we did pretty well along the south shoreline of Richmond, then September 10th was the best day.

In 2005, we had an excellent day along the south shoreline of Richmond on August 27th when a massive mix of pink and sockeye salmon came in with the incoming tide. We had a few dozen hook-ups that day. August 28th was a different story, not a single fish were seen. The fishery didn't pick up again until around September 5th.

In 2003, I found some good fishing in South Arm along Delta on August 30th and 31st, then the fishing died off. September 5th was when fishing really picked up along the south shoreline of Richmond in that afternoon during the strong incoming tide. After that, we had excellent fishing everyday, both morning and evening, until September 12th. In those seven days, it was easy to hook into dozens of fish per tide.

So, you can kind of figure out when the possible magic dates are around Richmond for this year... ;D

drock31

« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2009, 10:01:15 PM »

was out today along river road in delta.... No fish caught but a couple risers and a couple seals.

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2009, 10:12:57 PM »

Has anyone been to Peg Leg? I have heard thats pinks are going good there.
As of yesterday, odd one picked up, still early for the main run.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2009, 11:13:40 PM »

We were out at Sandheads (actually towards the s. lighthouse) & there is where the PINKS ARE RIGHT NOW... by the 1000's & 1000's....must of been 40 boats in a 1 sq mile. Only a matter of time that they start heading up river.... :) should add in ...that we lost two.... got 2 shakers...landed 1 pink. Another boat with 4-5 guys got 5.  I trolled a surface line with a pink spoon right where 100's of pinks were surfacing but they never touched it. The strikes we got our lines were down about 30-35 ft. Bite was on after 5 pm for us anyways. (Nitroholic's report was "right-on..."bang on the money"...)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:19:21 AM by arimaBOATER »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2009, 11:16:53 PM »

So where will you all be on September 5th?  :D

I was out today as well. Had the same results as all of you. A big fat skunk. Not going to bother tomorrow. I fished for two hours during the incoming today ( from 3:30pm-5:30pm ) and saw 2 pinks roll in that time.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2009, 12:06:28 AM »

It's good to see so much perseverance and anticipation in this fishery. :) With so much effort expended yet little reward so far, quite a few people have been asking why they are so late. They are in fact not late, we are simply just trying to get them earlier this year. I usually start my search on August 15th as there are always some fish making their way into the river during the incoming tide at certain spots. I took a look at my notes from the past three seasons and would like to share those with you, so perhaps it could ease the anxiety slightly. ;)

In 2007, the bulk of the run didn't come through South Arm until September 5th or 6th. On the weekend of September 8th and 9th, we did pretty well along the south shoreline of Richmond, then September 10th was the best day.

In 2005, we had an excellent day along the south shoreline of Richmond on August 27th when a massive mix of pink and sockeye salmon came in with the incoming tide. We had a few dozen hook-ups that day. August 28th was a different story, not a single fish were seen. The fishery didn't pick up again until around September 5th.

In 2003, I found some good fishing in South Arm along Delta on August 30th and 31st, then the fishing died off. September 5th was when fishing really picked up along the south shoreline of Richmond in that afternoon during the strong incoming tide. After that, we had excellent fishing everyday, both morning and evening, until September 12th. In those seven days, it was easy to hook into dozens of fish per tide.

So, you can kind of figure out when the possible magic dates are around Richmond for this year... ;D

very interesting post rod. They are like an alarm clock...every two years sept 5th an on wards for a 1 week or so.

Thanks for the info.

dspot

« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2009, 12:51:58 AM »

I've been trying for a few hours each day for the past little while on the South Arm, and managed to hook 3 pinks in total, all on the 28th. Most days I would see a few risers around here and there. Also tried the North Arm a couple of times, but all I got was a smallish pikeminnow. Rod, have you observed any similar patterns for the North Arm, or is it just mainly a steady flow of smallish schools from late Aug-Sept?

poncho

« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2009, 07:14:39 AM »

I've been checking the last few days with people down River Road in Delta from under the Alex Fraser Bridge to Deas Island and only 1 pink so far, despite their persistence. However, sturgeon fishing from shore under the bridge seems to be doing very well with a lot of guys having success, mainly using roe.

gman

« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2009, 10:20:11 AM »

Just got back from Browns bay North of Campbell River. The pinks are there in ridiculous numbers. They are being caught at all depths and on all gear while targetting springs. We would catch a number of them every  time we went out even when trying to avoid them. When we had the kids on board and targetted them we would get one on every few minutes. I'm sure most of these are on their way to the Fraser. :)