Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2009?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon  (Read 211465 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon
« Reply #525 on: September 16, 2009, 07:25:23 AM »

Hi everyone,
I am new to Pink fishing. Is SPin N Glo good for Pink fishing? I mean just change the spinner or spoon to a Spin n Glo. Did anyone have experience of this?
The answer is yes.   Personally I prefer them to spoons because I get better hookups - I have been experimenting with the small pea sized ones colored red/yellow.   I crimp on a large split shot about 18 inches above the spin and glo just to get it out.

(Slow retrieves work best for me)

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #526 on: September 16, 2009, 08:41:05 AM »

Pinks jumping around Canoe Pass, South arm Fraser on Sept. 13 for those that not had witnessed this event.  Still a lot of pinks holding out in the Strait.  A beautiful calm day out on the Strait.
Enjoy!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo57BMZYxvU

WestEast

« Reply #527 on: September 16, 2009, 08:45:41 AM »

well i was fishing in the fraser river just east of the golden ears bridge from about 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock on sunday and even though the pinks were rolling and jumping all around us, they didn't give our offerings a second look. water visibility was very poor, and i can only surmise the fish couldn't see the spoons, jigs, and spinners we were chucking. the incoming tide was pushing them up the river, and they were'nt interested in eating. no-one around us was catching anything either. so, as a fraser newbie, i think it's only realistic to think that successful pink fishing should only be attempted in relatively clear water, and when the tide has stopped running. maybe later on in the late afternoon/evening, and further east on the river past mission. any comments from the veteran fraserites? thanks.

I was just west of Barnston Is. drifting with the schools at that time. Like you, they just were not interested in anything we tossed in front of them. Spoons, spinners, jigs, flies... fast, slow, surface, deep.... nada. I think they were just not into any feeding on that journey. At the same time, I read reports of non-stop takes in Richmond and upper river around the Vedder and Peg Leg. Maybe they are programmed to fill up at the mouth, focus on their journey mid-river, then start munching again prior to entering the breeding streams.....  ???

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #528 on: September 16, 2009, 09:38:33 AM »

Pinks jumping around Canoe Pass, South arm Fraser on Sept. 13 for those that not had witnessed this event.  Still a lot of pinks holding out in the Strait.  A beautiful calm day out on the Strait.
Enjoy!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo57BMZYxvU

Oh what a beautiful sight - I hope we still have a couple of weeks of fun  ;D

Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

ejeffrey

« Reply #529 on: September 16, 2009, 02:40:17 PM »

Was out at No. 5 Rd in Richmond today at lunch. No takers, but I did see a lot of fish - the most I have seen in days. Must have been a large school moving up. Saw 1 landed.

lineBroke

« Reply #530 on: September 16, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »

went there three times this year and not a single nibble.....just no luck there.....headed to the Peg yesterday, decent crowd , lots of pinks, lost one.....landed three in 4 hours....cheers.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #531 on: September 16, 2009, 03:45:13 PM »

I went to Peg Leg and only saw BB'rs, were do you guys fish for pinks?

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #532 on: September 16, 2009, 04:30:51 PM »

I went to Peg Leg and only saw BB'rs, were do you guys fish for pinks?

There's a several hundred yard stretch to the right (upstream) from the BB area.

You are working the main part of the Fraser there, not the side channel.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #533 on: September 16, 2009, 04:50:38 PM »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #534 on: September 16, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »

Way to go ! Thanks "scales" for sharing the vid with us....pinks jumping about...I think this Pink Fever (as Rod's homepage describe's it) is into it's 3 rd wk now..... We've seen many days with the pinks jumping like that & trolled "you name it" right threw those packs of jumping pinks  without a hit ???? Nevertheless getting a fish was secondary as just witnessing the sights was pure joy. ------ Wierd though how at times fish will hit & other times "no way." 

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #535 on: September 16, 2009, 07:27:26 PM »

when pinks come off the hook and you can't land them then you really should move to a smaller hook. before even fishing you have to sharpen the hook as well. the next time you get a hookup it could be a spring or coho(when open) and the last thing you want is a hook with a dull point. Also when the fish does take the hook set it hard by arching back the rod and then loosen the drag allowing the fish to run. it only takes a few minutes for the salmon to tire out and then to net or pickup with your hands.good luck. :)

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #536 on: September 16, 2009, 09:00:13 PM »

Out at Deas from 3-7 with only one bite, nothing to the shore.  There were a few fish jumping but not many people caught any.  It seems the commercial openings are really affecting the fishing in the lower fraser.  Do these commercial openenings usually continue for the entire run of the pinks?  Or will we get a few more good days of fishing?

Derek Mcl

« Reply #537 on: September 16, 2009, 09:42:46 PM »

Nice thing about fly fishing is that you can "strip set" the hook, which really drives the point home if the fish takes the fly.  If the fish misses the fly, you have only moved it a few inches and the fish can take another run at it.  If you life the rod tip, you will remove the fly from the strike zone and/or the water.

funpig

« Reply #538 on: September 16, 2009, 11:03:11 PM »

Yesterday, I had seven fish on and landed 3 all in about 15 minutes.  Today, I went to the same spot, stood on the same rock, fished the same tide at about the same time in the evening, used the same lure, cast and retrieve, and not a nibble.

minsyoo

« Reply #539 on: September 16, 2009, 11:07:24 PM »

i was out in richmond, didnt see a single fish jump, didnt get a single nibble. and then it started pouring rain, so wasn't the best day. :-\

but,

i'm gonna be out there again and again  ;D