Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2009?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon  (Read 211552 times)

funpig

Re: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon
« Reply #165 on: August 30, 2009, 08:15:52 PM »

fished river road in delta on incoming tide.  saw a few jumpers (1 every 15 minutes).  No bites

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #166 on: August 30, 2009, 08:50:14 PM »

went fishing early morning to end of #3 road in Richmond.
two other guys started fishing too.  Didn't get any bites, didn't see any jumpers.  It was quite dead!

Then went to the Triangle road.  Tried for couple of more hours.  Saw sum single jumping fish; mostly far from shore.  One came close to shore, but no bites.
No one else was fishing this section.

Then checked River road in Delta.  Some guys were fishing, and they said it was dead too.

Saw DFO checking on a commercial fishing boat.

No pinks :(  Where are they bitting???
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #167 on: August 30, 2009, 08:56:26 PM »

I went to Hatzic Flats today, lost of fish jumping even sturgeons to, but no hits only the annoying pike minnow. Also went to see whats happening on Peg Leg, a few fly fishermen, but it is BB'ers all the way down 2-3 meters apart for each other. I saw 1 pinks and 1 spring the 20 minutes I was there.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #168 on: August 30, 2009, 09:09:03 PM »

I went to Hatzic Flats today, lost of fish jumping even sturgeons to, but no hits only the annoying pike minnow. Also went to see whats happening on Peg Leg, a few fly fishermen, but it is BB'ers all the way down 2-3 meters apart for each other. I saw 1 pinks and 1 spring the 20 minutes I was there.

When you refer to the flats, I'm assuming you mean below Lougheed.   But were you working the section by the mouth or by the hwy?  I've read and heard that there's lots of black crappie in the lake.  Wasn't sure that there was anything in the lower.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2009, 09:46:58 PM »

Yes, there are TONS of black crappie in Hatzic Lake. 
We were fishing for Pinks today (and usually fish for Sturgeon) in an area that is located a couple hundred meters from Hatzic Lake, you take a right turn at a gas station after Hatzic (Huskey, located a couple hundred meters from Hatzic) and you go all the way down to the river, get out and walk a minute and fish. Lots of fish right now (Pinks and Sturgeons) caught a 50 pound Sturgeon a few weeks ago, might give it a go next week. ;D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2009, 11:33:43 PM »

Again it was full of action out at the mouth of the Fraser R. for pinks. They were all over the place.... At least 50 or more boats out there...I lost count.  They were not jumping as much as the day before but the finder showed alot of fish. In the 4.5 hrs we fished we landed two.... lost one right out of the net !!!!!!! Plus had at least 5 on but they got off the hook. Both nice size. Yesterday pink had no sea lice but today each fish had 6-7 each. ..... When we came back up river I noticed alot of fish on the finder (ALOT) RIGHT EVEN TO THE ENTERANCE OF THE HARBOUR. --- They were not surfacing but down about 20 ft or so---- BC Gov should see that there are alot of people interested in fishing & they get very excited when there is fish to catch. Boats need gas ... gas = tax.... people spending money on various things.... people fishing from shore spend money....Again a super day...high tide little breeze & sunny & warm. By the way my 84 yr old dad is the only one who has caught  the pink.... I keep losting mine ....& is he ever one happy guy !!!! Smile ear to ear. Memories for me when my dad goes from this world to the "bye & bye"(Heaven) So yous who may not have a boat ...use a buzz bomb or whatever & cast out into the river as on high tide they were plenty as I say on the finder right up to Steveston Harbour...my guess they are more up river from there as well.  :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:35:39 PM by arimaBOATER »

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2009, 04:17:43 PM »

Is Hatzic flats private property ??

steeleagle

« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2009, 04:41:23 PM »

The lake is private, is this what your taking about? The water level dropped about 10' since the first week of Aug, so the lake looks like the flats right now, lots of big shoals with water only a couple feet deep. or less in areas.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2009, 04:45:36 PM »

I saw a few guys catching crappie under the bridge were the drop in water has made a little beach, sometimes you can catch ALOT of crappie when the water is nice and high from that spot.

But the Hatzic Flats that I have referred to is a very famous Sturgeon fishing spot just a couple hundred meters from the lake.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 04:50:57 PM by BCfisherman97 »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2009, 04:46:52 PM »

Salmon come right into the lake

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #175 on: August 31, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »

Are the Hatzic flats on the banks of the fraser river ? Your not talking about the low water level of Hatzic Lake after the water has gone down .

UFC

« Reply #176 on: August 31, 2009, 08:06:32 PM »

Went to the Fraser today late afternoon in the Surrey area. Spent three hours chucking my spoons. I had one solid hit but wasn't paying attention and didn't set the hook. That was it, other than giving my arm a workout with all the casting.

I saw some sturgeon jumping, but otherwise I only saw one salmon porpoise. Still not much happening yet for pinks

samw

« Reply #177 on: August 31, 2009, 09:47:47 PM »

I checked the south arm at Garry Point and south end of #3rd yesterday AM & PM and again today at 7:00 AM.    No sign of pinks.   A few fishermen watching and waiting.

I tried Garry Point at 6:45pm tonight.  Saw about 20 people fishing.  Didn't see much action.  Talked to someone who had been there for 4 hours and he didn't get anything using a spoon.  Asked another person who was float fishing with baited hook and he wouldn't answer.  I guess he got bullheads only.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:49:52 PM by samw »

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #178 on: August 31, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »

Fort Langley gave up one 3 1/2 lb male to a silver/pink spinner... had a few hits but just the one that asked nicely enough to come home with me....
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #179 on: August 31, 2009, 11:26:10 PM »

Still ALOT of pinks at the mouth.... about 20 or more boats out there by 4pm. Seen a seal with one in it's mouth. Surprized as there is not a big number of seals about .... seen like maybe 3-4 seals all day long. Years past with this many fish about ya think ya see 10 or more ..........