Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2009?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon  (Read 211535 times)

searun17

• Old Timer
Re: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon
« Reply #210 on: September 02, 2009, 09:17:43 PM »

Decided to go to check out brownsville bar tonight,i didnt fish but just sat back and watched the 20 or so guys flog it ,i only saw 1 fish on the beach and in the time i was there i didnt even see one fish rise,but it was interesting anyway watching the circus of tangled  lines and the one guy in the middle of all the spoon fisherman that decided it was a good thing to bar fish for sturgeon. ;D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:22:02 PM by searun17 »
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Derek::

« Reply #211 on: September 02, 2009, 09:17:56 PM »

i spent 2 hours today at on the south arm  around no5 rd. 2-4pm
definately fish to be seen jumping and surfacing close to shore, but i got skunked again.  One hit, no hook ups. I'm using a gibbs pink coloured spoon with a slow to medium retrieve speed.
Heard someone caught 2 pinks down the road from me, but I had no luck.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #212 on: September 02, 2009, 09:25:18 PM »

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #213 on: September 02, 2009, 09:37:10 PM »

Are there any areas that are better for fly casting down near the mouth of the fraser, 3 road and downstream?  Just don't want to hook any joggers or dog walkers.  Also is it possible to even catch a pink on the fraser on a fly or are they just too far away from shore?

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #214 on: September 02, 2009, 10:01:53 PM »

went to the south arm in richmond.  From 6:30pm to 8:30pm.
Many people were fishing.
Saw hudreds of fish jumping.
had 3 hits, go 2 landed. both on Buzbumb.
it was nice to see fish finaly move in.
It's getting exciting :)
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #215 on: September 02, 2009, 10:44:05 PM »

Are there any areas that are better for fly casting down near the mouth of the fraser, 3 road and downstream?  Just don't want to hook any joggers or dog walkers.  Also is it possible to even catch a pink on the fraser on a fly or are they just too far away from shore?

If you can roll cast 25-30 feet you'll do fine.  They are often within 5-6 feet of the shore.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #216 on: September 02, 2009, 11:00:05 PM »

Great to see that the pinks are travelling up river in good numbers...so people fishing from the shore can have some excitement.................. & yous definately deserve it as most have been patient for the last 2 wks or so.....We went out to the mouth of the Fraser R. today... & noticed the pinks were on the finder from the port of Steveston all the way to the mouth.  Unfortunately for us we got one fish on but lost it after a good fight (45 sec or so...) The spinner had an older hook & it was not that sharp....(little rusty) ........... We seen fish all over surfacing....jumping....down 20-30-50 ft.... Tried various pink lures...hootchie....spoons....made up a hook with pink wool................... Really what I should do is bring a casting rod...with a very sharp hook (buzz bomb) & cast into the surface pack...... Nina congrads ...PIC worth a 1000 words...( I 'd bet the house Rod took the pic)...... But ya know what it was such a great day on the water....it was like glass out there (mind you one tug came up river with no tow & it had some SUPER BIG WAKE WAVES...KINDA EXCITING TO SEE THEM COMING AT YA...) also sunny ...warm...no winds ...high tide...great sun set.... seen lots ( a real lot) casting from the shores of Gerry Pt Park... The pinks are coming your way(up river)....... should be good for at least another week or so in the Richmond area. :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 11:01:57 PM by arimaBOATER »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #217 on: September 02, 2009, 11:56:09 PM »

hey anyone know if peg is accessible with a van right now thinking of heading there on thursady with a buddy who has never caught a pink before let meknow what you guys think

thank

Peg is crossable only for 4X4. All other cars have to park before the channel. It is a shallow crossing but the gravel is too soft to cross by non 4X4. Saw a sedan had to be towed by a 4X4 after getting stuck.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #218 on: September 03, 2009, 12:01:36 AM »

I saw that also, did you have any luck that day?

noxcape

« Reply #219 on: September 03, 2009, 12:01:55 AM »

thanks steel look  like we are walking lol you see any fish out there

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #220 on: September 03, 2009, 12:40:04 AM »

As somewhat expected, the first big wave of pink salmon entered the Tidal Fraser River yesterday during the last two hours of the incoming tide. Fishing should only get better in the next week or two. You should be able to catch them anywhere along the river as long as your tide timing is correct.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=140

Note the smaller average size of this year's fish and difficulty of hooking up on the soft bites.

noxcape

« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2009, 12:41:19 AM »

ok here is a question do i have to time the tide for places like peg leg and stuff in that area

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2009, 01:24:54 AM »

The further upstream on the Fraser River, the smaller the tidal influence is. Tidal influence can be felt all the way up in Hope at times, so it is definitely advantageous to time your outing with the tide.

noxcape

« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2009, 02:05:01 AM »

thanks for the info rod

CYR

« Reply #224 on: September 03, 2009, 07:37:25 AM »

Spend a quick hour on south arm last night just before dark, certainly lots of fish is jumping, no taker for me tho.