Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2009?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon  (Read 211523 times)

kaolinite

Re: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon
« Reply #225 on: September 03, 2009, 09:30:07 AM »

Got into a nice big fresh chrome humpty at the mission cpr bridge this morning still had the sea lice, good fun on a super small spincasting rod

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #226 on: September 03, 2009, 11:55:09 AM »

Quickly checked the Dyke road and the Triangle road this morning.
Didn't see any jumpers!! The tide was low and it was windy out there.
handful of guys were fishing in both spots and they had no hits/fish.
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

mattyo

« Reply #227 on: September 03, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »

Heading out to imabeek park under the Port Mann after work ;D. Anyone get some pink love recently down there. I'm talking about salmon!! :o

jon5hill

« Reply #228 on: September 03, 2009, 01:16:20 PM »

Hey guys,
This is my first year for pinks. I'm going to head out this afternoon but I'm new so of course I've got lots of questions.

Please pardon my ignorance with some of these things.  I've done some research but I haven't done rigorous on the internet, nor have I been to the fishing store recently to ask the gents for some guidance.

1. Does the fraser river salmon fishing closure include the portion of the fraser river around New West? I'm thinking of going down to the Sapperton area this afternoon and I'm unfamiliar with the bridges they refer to in the DFO statement so I'm not entirely certain where the boundaries are yet.

2. Are the pinks that far up the Fraser yet?

3. Does anyone have a link to a tide table for the tidal portion of the fraser river? I've read that it's ideal to fish during Flood tide when the water comes up as it brings in lots of fresh pinks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2009, 01:25:02 PM »

1. The closure involved the section between Hope and Aggasiz, which will reopen tomorrow. The entire Fraser River in Region 2 and Area 29 is opened for salmon fishing. Chinook, pink and chum salmon retention is permitted. Sockeye and coho salmon retention is not permitted. The area that you mentioned is perfectly fine for fishing and a good spot for pink salmon actually.

2. Pinks in the Tidal Fraser River (downstream from Mission) travel through with the incoming tide and they are constantly moving upstream without staging. There are fish everywhere in the river now when the tide is coming in. In the non-tidal Fraser, upstream from Mission, fish start staging at different pools when possible.

3. The first two hours and last two hours of the incoming tide have been excellent.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2009, 01:34:12 PM »

imabeek park,pretty funny, ;Dif you have not been there lately the beach line to the right of the boat launch is now covered with log booms and they are tied up pretty close to shore so there is very little river exposed for fishing,if you head left to wards the mouth of the coquitlam there is more open water.on another note the area around imabeek park i have found to not hold as many pinks and it is usually tough fishing for them their,i believe most of the fish travel on the south side of the river in that particular area.there are better places to find some pink love.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 01:35:47 PM by searun17 »
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

jon5hill

« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2009, 01:36:37 PM »

Thanks for the quick and accurate response Rodney!

I'm goin out there with a HUGE smile on my face today.

doja

« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2009, 01:38:58 PM »

imabeek park,pretty funny, ;Dif you have not been there lately the beach line to the right of the boat launch is now covered with log booms and they are tied up pretty close to shore so there is very little river exposed for fishing,if you head left to wards the mouth of the coquitlam there is more open water.on another note the area around imabeek park i have found to not hold as many pinks and it is usually tough fishing for them their,i believe most of the fish travel on the south side of the river in that particular area.there are better places to find some pink love.

I'd have to agree. I always saw fish jump on the other side of the river.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2009, 02:24:25 PM »

I have caught fish there during high tide in 2003, 2005 and 2007. I have also caught chum and coho there. Sucks that the log booms are there now as that was a good spot for plunking as well.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

DOdGER

« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2009, 02:33:31 PM »

Dif you have not been there lately the beach line to the right of the boat launch is now covered with log booms and they are tied up pretty close to shore so there is very little river exposed for fishing,if you head left to wards the mouth of the coquitlam there is more open water

It is pretty tight in there in general between the logs, the construction barges, and all the boat traffic. There is about  30 feet of beach directly down stream of the boat launch, but at low tide you can see its loaded with snags. Id say it would be a tough go unless you went at first light and could use the dock. Even then the crew boat for the construction is coming and going every 15 min or so.

mattyo

« Reply #235 on: September 03, 2009, 02:56:32 PM »

I've had some luck there in past seasons even nailing a jack spring on a pink croc ???. I think they have also dredged the bottom there for a deep channel for FRPD crews. Been down there about half a dozen times this year and nothing! I think I'm a bit early. ;D

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #236 on: September 03, 2009, 03:27:10 PM »

lets hope you come back with an even huger smile :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #237 on: September 03, 2009, 03:28:54 PM »

If the fishing is anything like yesterday evening's... :)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #238 on: September 03, 2009, 03:30:59 PM »

Note the smaller average size of this year's fish and difficulty of hooking up on the soft bites.

You should be fishing with us  ;D.....we haven't taken a fish under 6 lbs yet and the largest was easily over 8.  About 10 fish so far all males too....agreed on the soft bites...following your advice I've sized the hooks down today, maybe that means we'll find some smaller fish.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #239 on: September 03, 2009, 03:43:08 PM »

You should be fishing with us  ;D .....

Would love to ... where and when do I show up with my fishing gear?  ;D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!