Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2009?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon  (Read 211538 times)

top fuel

Re: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon
« Reply #285 on: September 04, 2009, 08:21:46 PM »

at new west earlier just looking along sapperton trail saw about 6 of 7 pinks landed.

UFC

« Reply #286 on: September 04, 2009, 08:38:59 PM »

Went to Surrey mid-late afternoon. A huge school moved through but I could only manage one short hook-up. I threw everything at them but couldn't hook up as for some reason they didn't appear interested in biting. I joined some buddies for the evening in Fort Langley area. The last hour we had multiple double headers and all four of us limited. Tons of fish moving through and a great evening for us!

funpig

« Reply #287 on: September 04, 2009, 08:58:01 PM »

My son got two this evening in south arm.  It was looking very quiet, very few jumpers and then we got two in about 15 minutes and then it died off again.  It's my Dad's 80th birthday so he was happy when we brought one over to him.

gcal

« Reply #288 on: September 04, 2009, 09:18:12 PM »

My first time ever fishing for Pinks!  Thanks to this forum, I learned a lot before heading out. 

I was at shore by Richmond's #3 pier.  I got there around 11:00am,  (few people there) and caught my first ever Pink at around 2:00PM (more people) and then caught my second one, around 5:00PM (packed with people by now).   During this time about 6 other pinks were caught.   

Both mine were caught with Crocs about 5-10 feet from shore.  I was surprised that they really do come so close to shore.  I wanted to cast further out, but then...  I thought, Rodney wouldn't steer me wrong, and I persevered.

One was a female 19" and the other male was 20".  Sorry, I don't have a scale.

I did change the hook to size #2, as Rodney mentioned in his blog.  But with one fish, I left the standard Croc hook intact.  I think it is a 1/0 size.   

I had a great day fishing!  Thanks to Rodney and this forum for all the help.  I'm learning more every day.   

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #289 on: September 04, 2009, 09:58:37 PM »

Good to see that advices from my personal experiences were able to generate some success :) but I on the other hand have not been able to hook a fish in two days now. :-\

Nina on the other hand hooked four and landed two tonight. Both were pretty fresh females.

Lots of fish moving through South Arm in Richmond between 6:30pm and 8:00pm tonight. The early morning high tide should produce very well now, have a great long weekend everyone.

rides bike to work

« Reply #290 on: September 04, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »

fished a nice peice of calm water up near chilliwack today the water was teeming with pinks I hucked pink streamer flys at them for about two hours than switched to myspining rod and threw crocs than pink fox at them for another hour but could not get one to bite the water was a bit muddier today but there was no lack of fish they were risinging with in afoot of me Quit aggrivating any tips on how I can get these things to bite?fast reatrive slow sink it deeper smaller bigger presentation?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #291 on: September 04, 2009, 11:35:27 PM »

Nice fish Nina......you've now tied my dad as he has 3 pinks. (I think ya have 3 now) Rod says he's not got anything for 2 days & I know how he feels....ALSO as "rides bike to work" said in his post.... is exactly what's been happening to me !!! Changed my lure so many times.... size of hook...trolled surface ...trolled deeper etc... We stayed closer to the Steveston area today... along the island ... 2 passes Gilbert to 3 RD then across river to the south shore...& there were alot of fish on the finder & saw activity on the surface. If our finder is working properly...there were just so many fish showing at times........ But all in all the 1 hit I got WAS ONE I'LL REMEMBER... on the finder it showed 5 fish & then all of a sudden my rod goes crazy.... so I immeadiately put the main motor on neutral & also did thwe same to the kicker (I keep the main on the very lowest with the aid of the kicker...result $60 worth of fuel we can go out 4 outings !!!) Back to the story.....1st my rod goes crazy... then it just stays bent...so I thought I may have hooked the bottom (snagged up) ...then all of a sudden ... line goes screaming out of my reel...then my leader snaps ............. all in all last maybe 60 secs. It was a BIG fish....Spring I guess ???  I lost a spinner that I've owned for alot of years...so that "kinda" hurts a bit.... Lure had 5 orange cone shaped things with a spinner blade which revolved around...Seen ALOT of sport fishermen(ladies) on shore & over at Gerry Pk. If ya heard an Elvis song.... that was the boat we were in....a few boats were hitting these same waters..... BUT a great day to be out on the water !!!!

jon5hill

« Reply #292 on: September 04, 2009, 11:45:39 PM »

Let the good times roll..

Aurora

« Reply #293 on: September 05, 2009, 12:01:48 AM »

Rod says he's not got anything for 2 days & I know how he feels....

Rod was too busy netting fish for Nina  :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #294 on: September 05, 2009, 12:21:03 AM »

Netting, bonking, cleaning, packing... watching people laughing because she was catching while I wasn't... :P The rest of September better be better than this. :o

jon5hill

« Reply #295 on: September 05, 2009, 12:47:58 AM »

Netting, bonking, cleaning, packing... watching people laughing because she was catching while I wasn't... :P The rest of September better be better than this. :o

I think you should get her to start taking care of the after-catch business so you can toss a line out. They come up in droves, and we all know that nothing beats a double hitter.. except a triple!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #296 on: September 05, 2009, 01:08:20 AM »

I think you should get her to start taking care of the after-catch business so you can toss a line out.

Jon, I don't plan to fish alone in the future. ;D

All jokes/whining aside, after experiencing good pink fishing for few seasons, it's not a big deal if I don't connect with a fish once awhile. :)

RJD

« Reply #297 on: September 05, 2009, 01:45:57 AM »

I went on my first ever pink expedition today (south arm). I landed a 5lb female, and had a few others on the line. They were jumping all over the place from 5-6:30pm where I was. Pink croc was working well for me. Grilled the fish I caught for dinner tonight - it was great!

Thanks for the tips posted by Rod and others on this board. I grew up fishing for trout in the BC interior, and didn't know where to start with salmon fishing down here.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #298 on: September 05, 2009, 04:32:17 AM »

Like all good fishers.....He's llieing... ::)
Take the T out of Morton.

barnun

« Reply #299 on: September 05, 2009, 08:29:54 AM »

skunked again yesterday, timing the tides as usual but seemingly just in the wrong spot at the wrong time, not many jumpers..this is in the coquitlam area. Think im going to head back to my old haunts on the south side of the river from the past seasons, atleast i have a strong history of success!