Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2009?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon  (Read 211564 times)

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
Re: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon
« Reply #315 on: September 05, 2009, 09:05:52 PM »

on fire.....

mr.p

« Reply #316 on: September 05, 2009, 09:17:40 PM »

Out AGAIN for the high tide this evening. 
Fished the dyke around NO.5 rd. 
Managed only 1 rather large male during the hour or so I was there.
The fish seemed to be further out this evening. well out of casting range.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

mr.p

« Reply #317 on: September 05, 2009, 09:38:50 PM »

Forgot to mention....

two CO's stopped by No.5 rd and did checks for licenses and hooks.
Everyone seemed legal.

Great to see them out.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #318 on: September 05, 2009, 10:17:01 PM »

was out today from noonish to about 8pm along the Dyke road in Richmond.
As expected there were many people trying to catch a dinner :)

During this time only saw 5 fish landed; none was mine :( and later the DFO came for inspection.  Everyone seemed legal :)
It was a rather slow day, at least for me.  Wind, waves and short rain, but it was a fun day out.

Long live the PINKS!
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

fish_oholic

« Reply #319 on: September 05, 2009, 10:44:18 PM »

tried in the morning tide near alex fraser and afternoon tide at south arm..overall, today was a pretty slow day...picked up for 5~10 minutes and then all dead.. :-\

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #320 on: September 05, 2009, 11:00:58 PM »

Oh I forgot to mention:
I picked up a new spinning rod and reel combo from Walmart for my wife; it was her first ever fishing rod that she had and she was excited like a little kid after getting her fist bike :0)
I was really hoping, secretly, that she would catch a pink salmon with it today, but it turned out to be a slow day :(
I'll take her out fishing again tomorrow and I really hope that she will land one and get hooked into fishing like I did :)
But at the end of the day her casting was near perfect.
Cheers!
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

PinkCroc

« Reply #321 on: September 05, 2009, 11:14:19 PM »

I went to no3 pier this evening around 7pm. No hookups for me but I seen a gentleman pull out a pike minnow at shore. He screamed "baby salmon". Before I could say anything, he wacked it in the head, threw it in his backpack, and ran away.

lol.

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #322 on: September 05, 2009, 11:15:48 PM »

Been to the north arm numberous times this year with few fish seen, anyone catching there yet?

gheart008

« Reply #323 on: September 05, 2009, 11:42:47 PM »

Been to the north arm numberous times this year with few fish seen, anyone catching there yet?

I gave up on the north arm after two skunkages.  Moved to the south, and got my first of the season right away.

Nice healthy female to start the season out, with a decent amount of roe to go along with it.

Now I know why Ikura costs so much.  That amount took me over an hour to prepare!

Caught another one tonight, this time a male.

I'm 2 for 2!  Both times the fish were caught within the first 10 minutes of arriving at the spot.  Then nothing after that for 50 more minutes. :(

Was planning on staying out longer tonight (started earlier), but man did the rain come down hard.  Had to pack it in as it felt super dangerous to be standing on the rocks while pouring rain came down on your hard, making all the rocks around you super slippery.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:04:00 AM by gheart008 »

mattyo

« Reply #324 on: September 06, 2009, 12:03:18 AM »

Triangle road produced for myself and a few other anglers today! ;D its about time I caught a pink. The usual croc or lightning bolt worked today with 2 males landed and 3 does. Wonder what to do tomorrow :o

funpig

« Reply #325 on: September 06, 2009, 01:44:27 AM »

My two boys and I fished the south arm from 1:00 to 3:30.  When I got to the river, I saw a few guys leaving and they had limited out from fishing the morning.  We fished beside two guys who had landed 4 fish.  They said it was hot earlier but the bite was slowing down.  After about 40 minutes, my ten year old and I caught a few pike minnows(?) which we released.  I finally hooked a pink and handed my rod to the ten year old who had never caught a pink before.  I went down and tailed it.  After that there was no bites for about an hour, a bit of rain and both boys were getting a bit frustrated because of all the expectations.  There were lots of pinks passing through, but they were not interested.  Then, at about 3:00, the sun was out and the bite was on.  In about 15 minutes, my 13 year old limited out.  I was so busy tailing his fish and bonking that I couldn't even cast a line.  The ten year old then took over his older brother's spot and hooked into a pink all by himself, the biggest of the day.  Altogether, 6 fish (4 males and 2 does, I just chucked the roe because I have still have a bunch of frozen boraxed chum/coho roe from previous years.  How do you make Ikura?).  It turned out to be a pretty good day.  Conservation officers were out in full force checking licenses, catches and hooks.  We were using pink spoons.  We used three spinning rods, from a light 7 footer with 8 lb lline to an old 8.5 foot Hardy loaded up with thick 20 lb test.  Amazingly, 5 of the 6 were caught on the thick heavy line.  When the bite was on, the fish were not shy.  But just as quickly the bite was off.  Just as well, my shoes were covered in mud and I was up to my elbows with fish gut and blood.  Any more fish and I think our one garbage bag would have ripped.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 01:59:15 AM by funpig »

barnun

« Reply #326 on: September 06, 2009, 08:59:47 AM »

My two boys and I fished the south arm from 1:00 to 3:30.  When I got to the river, I saw a few guys leaving and they had limited out from fishing the morning.  We fished beside two guys who had landed 4 fish.  They said it was hot earlier but the bite was slowing down.  After about 40 minutes, my ten year old and I caught a few pike minnows(?) which we released.  I finally hooked a pink and handed my rod to the ten year old who had never caught a pink before.  I went down and tailed it.  After that there was no bites for about an hour, a bit of rain and both boys were getting a bit frustrated because of all the expectations.  There were lots of pinks passing through, but they were not interested.  Then, at about 3:00, the sun was out and the bite was on.  In about 15 minutes, my 13 year old limited out.  I was so busy tailing his fish and bonking that I couldn't even cast a line.  The ten year old then took over his older brother's spot and hooked into a pink all by himself, the biggest of the day.  Altogether, 6 fish (4 males and 2 does, I just chucked the roe because I have still have a bunch of frozen boraxed chum/coho roe from previous years.  How do you make Ikura?).  It turned out to be a pretty good day.  Conservation officers were out in full force checking licenses, catches and hooks.  We were using pink spoons.  We used three spinning rods, from a light 7 footer with 8 lb lline to an old 8.5 foot Hardy loaded up with thick 20 lb test.  Amazingly, 5 of the 6 were caught on the thick heavy line.  When the bite was on, the fish were not shy.  But just as quickly the bite was off.  Just as well, my shoes were covered in mud and I was up to my elbows with fish gut and blood.  Any more fish and I think our one garbage bag would have ripped.

sounds like a perfect day with your kids, that's what its all about! congrats

gheart008

« Reply #327 on: September 06, 2009, 10:31:30 AM »

Ikura is just the Japanese term for what the western world would consider salmon caviar.  You just have to cure it by letting it soak in one part kosher salt, 4 parts room temp water.  Let it soak for 30 minutes or so, then you have to start separating the eggs from the sack.  The hardest and time consuming part is getting all the eggs apart and removing the sack substance around each egg, without breaking the eggs.  Then just rinse it multiple times to get rid of any remaining floaties and sack substance.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 10:36:05 AM by gheart008 »

Scooterguy

« Reply #328 on: September 06, 2009, 11:19:23 AM »

Ikura is just the Japanese term for what the western world would consider salmon caviar.  You just have to cure it by letting it soak in one part kosher salt, 4 parts room temp water.  Let it soak for 30 minutes or so, then you have to start separating the eggs from the sack.  The hardest and time consuming part is getting all the eggs apart and removing the sack substance around each egg, without breaking the eggs.  Then just rinse it multiple times to get rid of any remaining floaties and sack substance.

Geez... :o That sounds like too much work. I passed ;D ;D

Thanks.

I was at south Arm today and I hook 6 but land only 2.  :'( from 7AM to 9:30AM. I need to replace my 2+ yrs old line. I got a feeling about my line yesterdaybut I was 2 lazy to change it out. Now I paid the price for lost 4 and 3 lures. :'(

funpig

« Reply #329 on: September 06, 2009, 11:19:39 AM »

And then you can just eat it?  How long can you store it?  Can you use any salmon eggs or is there a preferred species?  I eat ikura in restaurants all the time, but when you have a handful of fish guts, it's the last thing on my mind.