Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2009?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon  (Read 211675 times)

funpig

Re: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon
« Reply #330 on: September 06, 2009, 11:20:25 AM »

And then you can just eat it?  How long can you store it?  Can you use any salmon eggs or is there a preferred species?  I eat ikura in restaurants all the time, but when you have a handful of fish guts at the muddy river's edge, it's the last thing on my mind.

gheart008

« Reply #331 on: September 06, 2009, 02:19:01 PM »

And then you can just eat it?  How long can you store it?  Can you use any salmon eggs or is there a preferred species?  I eat ikura in restaurants all the time, but when you have a handful of fish guts, it's the last thing on my mind.

Ya, you can just eat it.  I usually like it with cream cheese on crackers along with some green onions.  It's also great for garnishing food.

You don't have to think about the guts when you're eating it since by the time that happens, it's already all prepared. :)  The Ikura you eat in restaurants is pretty much prepared the same way.  I'm sure you can even freeze it after preparation.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #332 on: September 06, 2009, 02:30:54 PM »

Went to River Road by the Alex Fraser last night from 5-7.  Lots jumping, saw a couple pulled out but none for me.  Woke up early this morning (early for around here, not "fishing early"  ;D ) and headed to Fort Langley for about 730ish until 930.  Took home 2 bucks and a female.  Hooked another 5 that each were a fun fight on light tackle but decided to shake loose.  Lots of hits when the bite was on (about an hour). 

There were 2 other fisherman within chatting distance, they both had multiple hookups too - the one gentleman lost 5 or 6 in a row, as soon as it was hooked, reeled like there was no tomorrow and just powered the fish it.  As soon as it saw his feet, and in like 2 inches of water, it really freaked out and of course with being able to bounce off the bottom, the barbless hook came out and off it went - watched this happen 6 times.  Personally I like to play them a bit, it's fun and by the time you land them, they are too tired to do that - he finally asked how I didn't lose any at the shore, so I told him - the next 2 he hooked he played them in and took them home.
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #333 on: September 06, 2009, 02:46:27 PM »

It was a great day today, i arrived at about 7 and hooked up with my first pink after 3 casts on a small spoon.  Great, now to switch to the fly rod and...  nothing.  I was using a rather large pink marabou streamer and only had one short follow so switched back to the spoon and fish on again.  Managed two to the shore and 4 others lost near the bank.  Great day at deas island.  Will be back again.

gheart008

« Reply #334 on: September 06, 2009, 03:07:29 PM »

Went to River Road by the Alex Fraser last night from 5-7.  Lots jumping, saw a couple pulled out but none for me.  Woke up early this morning (early for around here, not "fishing early"  ;D ) and headed to Fort Langley for about 730ish until 930.  Took home 2 bucks and a female.  Hooked another 5 that each were a fun fight on light tackle but decided to shake loose.  Lots of hits when the bite was on (about an hour). 

There were 2 other fisherman within chatting distance, they both had multiple hookups too - the one gentleman lost 5 or 6 in a row, as soon as it was hooked, reeled like there was no tomorrow and just powered the fish it.  As soon as it saw his feet, and in like 2 inches of water, it really freaked out and of course with being able to bounce off the bottom, the barbless hook came out and off it went - watched this happen 6 times.  Personally I like to play them a bit, it's fun and by the time you land them, they are too tired to do that - he finally asked how I didn't lose any at the shore, so I told him - the next 2 he hooked he played them in and took them home.

I totally agree. I wasn't that successful two years ago and it was because my drag was way too tight and I was just horsing them in, which resulted in lots of lost fish.  This year, definitely took the time after each hook set and it paid off well.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #335 on: September 06, 2009, 03:18:36 PM »

Lawsch --- use small sparse pink flies if you wanna get them on the fly. nice slow 3-4inch retrieve and you will get some fish. I got into a bunch today after getting my limit on the lure. Only reason i did lure first was because fish were out further when i started but had 4 in about 45mins then switched over to the fly and got another dozen or so  ;D they are definately in the river now !!
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #336 on: September 06, 2009, 03:20:21 PM »

Lawsch --- use small sparse pink flies if you wanna get them on the fly. nice slow 3-4inch retrieve and you will get some fish. I got into a bunch today after getting my limit on the lure. Only reason i did lure first was because fish were out further when i started but had 4 in about 45mins then switched over to the fly and got another dozen or so  ;D they are definately in the river now !!

hey hook, where would be an area in the tidal Fraser to fish with some back cast room?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #337 on: September 06, 2009, 06:19:16 PM »

Rhino - Where do you normally go that there isnt any back casting room ?? majority of the lower Fraser bars will have room usually at low or lowish tides though.
Check out our new blog

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #338 on: September 06, 2009, 06:30:59 PM »

Rhino - Where do you normally go that there isnt any back casting room ?? majority of the lower Fraser bars will have room usually at low or lowish tides though.

this is my first year fishing the pinks in tidal fraser. i have only fished in richmond by the dog park once.

noxcape

« Reply #339 on: September 06, 2009, 06:36:47 PM »

im heading out to peg right now with gear and fly hopefully ill get one on  either of them

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #340 on: September 06, 2009, 06:47:32 PM »

Rhino - email me so i know its you and i can give you a few bars to try out and even some fly choices that produce very well  ;)
Check out our new blog

mr.p

« Reply #341 on: September 06, 2009, 09:09:48 PM »

Fished the Langley area this evening.
Managed to hook 6 and land 5 in the two hours I was out.
There were fish surfacing everywhere.
The action was pretty consistant then died off around 7pm.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

poncho

« Reply #342 on: September 06, 2009, 09:28:12 PM »

Delta, River Road produced well this afternoon. I landed 3 in about an hour and my brother-in-law caught his first 2 salmon.

gheart008

« Reply #343 on: September 06, 2009, 09:51:48 PM »

Was out tonight in New Westminster again from 5:15 to 7:45 and only manged to hook into two, but landed both of them.

Seems like New West at Sapperton isn't as hot as other places in Richmond as everyone is posting that they see fish jumping everywhere, which definitely isn't the case @ Sapperton.  Only a few jumpers, but still people are landing them.

Was beside these two guys, and in the span of time that I was there, they hooked into four, but lost all of them.  The simply had their drag way too tight and was trying to horse them in every time.

Loosen your drag a bit and play out the fish!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:54:01 PM by gheart008 »

funpig

« Reply #344 on: September 06, 2009, 11:03:23 PM »

Went out again today with two kids and one grandpa.  Fished the same time as yesterday (1pm - 4pm), but seemed alot slower today.  Got two, but we lost a lot of lures to snags today.  Kept the roe and will try to make Ikura tonite.