Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2009?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon  (Read 211685 times)

jon5hill

Re: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon
« Reply #345 on: September 06, 2009, 11:05:42 PM »

More fun!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #346 on: September 07, 2009, 12:09:56 AM »

Awesome day today as I reported in the reports section. I just hope this year is the year we dont hear the phrase " I am tired of pinks " How anyone can be tired of our most abundant salmon species is beyond me. They are spunky, great on a light spinning outfit and awesome on the fly.

My buddies and I were sitting in the boat this afternoon when literally thousands of pinks were finning and jumping everywhere and I mean everywhere. How often is it that you get to see such a sight on the Fraser River? It was simply spectacular and I just loved watching them. They were even jumping and finning within 2 feet of the boat. Lets not put down our resilient pink salmon this year. Lets be thankful that we still have a salmon species that is not going the way of the dodo bird.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #347 on: September 07, 2009, 12:40:53 AM »

where would be an area in the tidal Fraser to fish with some back cast room?

There are several places in Richmond where flyfishing is possible with plenty of backcasting room. MacDonald Beach on Iona Island, north of the airport, but pay attention to the gate closing time in the evening. Garry Point Park, but watch out for other park users behind you when casting. Dump Bar, accessed via Triangle Road behind Silver City at No. 6 Road, has a long wide beach where you can wade and flyfish. People also flyfish along Dyke and River Road in Richmond, but just have to watch out for pedestrians and cars behind you at times.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #348 on: September 07, 2009, 01:04:03 AM »

How is peg leg right now for chucking spoons? Is the water here good for this? I know there is a no bottom bouncing in effect, but are people here still doing it?
The Bigger The Better!

poncho

« Reply #349 on: September 07, 2009, 08:29:01 AM »

I just hope this year is the year we dont hear the phrase " I am tired of pinks " How anyone can be tired of our most abundant salmon species is beyond me. They are spunky, great on a light spinning outfit and awesome on the fly.

Who gets tired of catching fish? Not me. I am getting tired of losing lures to snags, but hey, that's just the cost of doing business. If it weren't for my wife I would be at the Fraser every day until this run is over. ;D

Bill

« Reply #350 on: September 07, 2009, 08:46:36 AM »

Hi my name is Bill this is my first time fishing on the Frazer for PINKS I usually just go for sturgeon but have no experience in tidal waters for any  type of salmon. In the last eighteen years in the summer and fall you will find me and my brother inlaw Bob fishing out in the salt. We both have the gear but would appreciate any tips that we could start off with we will be up around the Haney area.

Thanks
 Bill

funpig

« Reply #351 on: September 07, 2009, 09:23:44 AM »

Hi my name is Bill this is my first time fishing on the Frazer for PINKS I usually just go for sturgeon but have no experience in tidal waters for any  type of salmon. In the last eighteen years in the summer and fall you will find me and my brother inlaw Bob fishing out in the salt. We both have the gear but would appreciate any tips that we could start off with we will be up around the Haney area.

Thanks
 Bill
Bill, check out this article:  http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2007/0807_01.html

It explains everything.

Yahoo, 50 posts, after almost 4 years.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:25:55 AM by funpig »

gheart008

« Reply #352 on: September 07, 2009, 09:24:54 AM »

Just got back from fishing the morning incoming tide, but got skunked.  Really slow morning, only saw one jumper.  Only saw one landed the entire morning.  Not a single hook up for me.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #353 on: September 07, 2009, 09:29:27 AM »

hey gheart008, that is a great pic of the tails, well done.
Bill, If you have a spinning outfit and some 8- 10 lb test and some small pink spoons/spinners and maybe a landing net you could try the Haney Warf.
It can get crowded but its an easy spot that works.Or try around the Mission Bridge area or Derby reach in Fort Langley or Two bit bar upstream. Try to fish from low tide through the incoming flow if you can.
Good Luck

tumbleweed

« Reply #354 on: September 07, 2009, 09:29:59 AM »

How is peg leg right now for chucking spoons? Is the water here good for this? I know there is a no bottom bouncing in effect, but are people here still doing it?
I was there on Saturday and there was lots of people bottom bouncing. But if you drive by those guys and go to the slower water where the guys are fly fishing you can chuck spoons. I went with a buddy and we had a blast.

Banny

« Reply #355 on: September 07, 2009, 10:08:20 AM »

Hit the North part of Peg leg, still lots of people snagging but it is perfect fly and spoon chucking water.

Brian

« Reply #356 on: September 07, 2009, 12:14:14 PM »

Dump Bar, accessed via Triangle Road behind Silver City at No. 6 Road, has a long wide beach where you can wade and flyfish.

I just 'discovered' triangle road a few weeks ago. Nice access via gravel road.

noxcape

« Reply #357 on: September 07, 2009, 12:20:56 PM »

was at peg last night for an hour lots of fish there caught one very very chrome male cant wait to get back out there later this afternoon

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #358 on: September 07, 2009, 12:31:14 PM »

There are several places in Richmond where flyfishing is possible with plenty of backcasting room. MacDonald Beach on Iona Island, north of the airport, but pay attention to the gate closing time in the evening. Garry Point Park, but watch out for other park users behind you when casting. Dump Bar, accessed via Triangle Road behind Silver City at No. 6 Road, has a long wide beach where you can wade and flyfish. People also flyfish along Dyke and River Road in Richmond, but just have to watch out for pedestrians and cars behind you at times.
[/quote

Thanks a bunch for the info Rodney. maybe ill see ya on the flow later. ;)

redside1

« Reply #359 on: September 07, 2009, 02:05:37 PM »

went to shady island in steveston this am. Found it very interesting to watch a father teach a son and his buddy just how to snag, yes that's right, snag humpies.
   When they first arrived in their green mirrorcraft boat after hunting geese, Dad rigged up and explain the key method of cast out and rip hard twice on the retrieve. Then gave the rod to his son while he rigged up a second rod with his hooks tied on above the sinker. Shortly his son had a fish by the tail and was handing off the rod so his buddy could fight the fish. 
  On ther downside I could not get any to bite my croc and left soon after they arrived.