Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2009?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon  (Read 211714 times)

noxcape

Re: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon
« Reply #390 on: September 08, 2009, 05:28:29 PM »

was out yesterday at peg leg was very good everyone was catching fish i got my limit in 2 hours i hooked 7 fish and landed 4 was a great day there are fish every where

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #391 on: September 08, 2009, 07:48:55 PM »

I was out last night for a couple hours and tonight for a couple hours. Both nights fish were everywhere finning and jumping. Problem is none were biting. Last night there were maybe 20 people along the bank and tonight in a very long stretch I would say 30-40 people but lots of room for everyone not even close to shoulder to shoulder. Both nights I only saw 2 fish landed in the two hours. It looks like the fish were just moving and not mulling around so they were not interested in playing. Anyone else experience something similar? The tide was pushing hard and the current was pretty strong. I was fly fishing tonight and my I would cast 90 degrees and the line would move quickly so that its at 180 degrees within 30-40 seconds so maybe with the tidal push the fish just dont sit around and are waiting for the slack to hang around.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

barnun

« Reply #392 on: September 08, 2009, 08:06:04 PM »

haven't seen many surfacing in the past two days, but the fishing has been alright in the mid day, had atleast 5 on in the first hour, only landed 2 though on both days

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #393 on: September 08, 2009, 08:17:42 PM »

both days on the weekend were great, sunday was a tad slower however but still managed the limits for our group rather quickly. My dad went out tonight after work and limited in less then 90mins  ;D I was watching fish rolling, jumping, finning while i was at work today so i knew they would be there (i work on the river sort of)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #394 on: September 08, 2009, 08:18:47 PM »

I was out last night for a couple hours and tonight for a couple hours. Both nights fish were everywhere finning and jumping. Problem is none were biting. Last night there were maybe 20 people along the bank and tonight in a very long stretch I would say 30-40 people but lots of room for everyone not even close to shoulder to shoulder. Both nights I only saw 2 fish landed in the two hours. It looks like the fish were just moving and not mulling around so they were not interested in playing. Anyone else experience something similar? The tide was pushing hard and the current was pretty strong. I was fly fishing tonight and my I would cast 90 degrees and the line would move quickly so that its at 180 degrees within 30-40 seconds so maybe with the tidal push the fish just dont sit around and are waiting for the slack to hang around.

I have noticed the same thing on the fly but if you which to spoons us the smaller ones 1/4oz or 3/8 as the fish are in the top colum of water and the bigger spoons are getting too deep.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

barnun

« Reply #395 on: September 08, 2009, 08:20:18 PM »

forgot to mention, ALL of my fish i've gotten this year have chased my offering till about 1-2 feet away from the shore. Had one today, i kid you not, in about 6" of water, mouth the hook, look at me and spit it out... how RUDE

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #396 on: September 08, 2009, 08:37:27 PM »

forgot to mention, ALL of my fish i've gotten this year have chased my offering till about 1-2 feet away from the shore. Had one today, i kid you not, in about 6" of water, mouth the hook, look at me and spit it out... how RUDE

I found the samething.  I had a couple of good sized pinks follow right to shore when I was out at Derby on sunday night.  On monday AM in Richmond, I was standing by some pillings and with the current I had to pull my fly to my left to avoid them.  Well on 2 occasions I got hits as soon as I turned the fly.  So for the rest of the day, when I got the fly within 10-15' I would turn the fly sharply to the left.  Voila, hits! 

barnun

« Reply #397 on: September 08, 2009, 08:40:05 PM »

I found the samething.  I had a couple of good sized pinks follow right to shore when I was out at Derby on sunday night.  On monday AM in Richmond, I was standing by some pillings and with the current I had to pull my fly to my left to avoid them.  Well on 2 occasions I got hits as soon as I turned the fly.  So for the rest of the day, when I got the fly within 10-15' I would turn the fly sharply to the left.  Voila, hits! 

yeah, thats what i forgot to ad -- they are just following it, maybe near the end of your cast reel slower or faster, or do something different, tends to get them to take it right away...

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #398 on: September 08, 2009, 08:43:27 PM »

yeah, thats what i forgot to ad -- they are just following it, maybe near the end of your cast reel slower or faster, or do something different, tends to get them to take it right away...

I find spinners work great, you can slow down your retrival but still get good action (they also stay near the top) - anything with silver and pink seems to hit - I change the hook to #1 and don't set it too hard.
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #399 on: September 08, 2009, 09:05:25 PM »

If you see them following, immediately lower your rod tip and let the spoon flutter down. Quite often they will take the lure on the free fall.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #400 on: September 08, 2009, 09:14:19 PM »

My dad & myself...trolled by Steveston Is. then across over from the head of the island...then to the south side of the river by the jetty.... saw more fish on the finder even 2 seals about...fish surfacing every 4 min or so ...sometimes 4 within a minute. Never got anything to hit though. Talked to other boaters & they said they never got any fish either.  While trolling a few shot gun blasts were happening...some far away but some shots seemed very close by.  (just thought that noise travels on the flat area of the water.) --------------------------- Well as it turns out we made a very close pass by the jetty...& there is a small car-toper (color of it blended into the rocks) & 2 young guys on the jetty with their shot guns waiting for geese to fly by." NO WONDER "those shots sounded close :o -------------------------------------------------------------Think it's time to go for Springs now in the lower Fraser (Richmond area) ...but in one of Rod's past posts mentioned that there were slow days then came some more good days of fishing for pinks so... more may come up yet in numbers. ------------------------------------  Did anyone in the Steveston area catch any pinks today????...as noticed there were boats out & plenty of shore fishermen(ladies).  ---------------------All in all a great day...as it is the outdrs & the nice marine breeze etc...( Nice to read about Rodney's dad who what I can tell by Rod's post...gets also excited about fishing ALRIGHT!) :)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #401 on: September 08, 2009, 09:14:48 PM »

I have noticed the same thing on the fly but if you which to spoons us the smaller ones 1/4oz or 3/8 as the fish are in the top colum of water and the bigger spoons are getting too deep.

I was using a bunch of different tips and even a floater. Nothing. I was fishing the same spot you were fishing ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Nai965

« Reply #402 on: September 08, 2009, 09:25:19 PM »

I think the reason they follow and turn away as they get close to shore is they can sense they are nearer to shore or in shallow water and also they can see you. This has happened to me when I was fishing in the Skeena when the pinks run was on, they followed my spoons or spinners as soon as it got closer they turned away.   

barnun

« Reply #403 on: September 08, 2009, 09:28:26 PM »

I think the reason they follow and turn away as they get close to shore is they can sense they are nearer to shore or in shallow water and also they can see you. This has happened to me when I was fishing in the Skeena when the pinks run was on, they followed my spoons or spinners as soon as it got closer they turned away.   
haha yeah, i was just commenting that it actually had my spinner in its mouth and spat it out...thought it was cool

Nitroholic

« Reply #404 on: September 08, 2009, 11:36:27 PM »

Did anyone in the Steveston area catch any pinks today????

yeah I caught 4