Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2009?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon  (Read 211700 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Re: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon
« Reply #405 on: September 09, 2009, 07:56:54 AM »

If you see them following, immediately lower your rod tip and let the spoon flutter down. Quite often they will take the lure on the free fall.

if you're using a spoon and this is happening, try changing to something you can retrieve at a slower rate, like a spinner with a large light blade - you can retrieve very slow (especially when you're bringing it back thru the tide/flow) and I've noticed that the following changed to hitting.
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

gheart008

« Reply #406 on: September 09, 2009, 08:03:57 AM »

if you're using a spoon and this is happening, try changing to something you can retrieve at a slower rate, like a spinner with a large light blade - you can retrieve very slow (especially when you're bringing it back thru the tide/flow) and I've noticed that the following changed to hitting.

Agreed.  I was out last night as well, and only saw one other person hook into a fish, while I hooked into 4 and landed 3.  I think people are retrieving too fast, hence no hook ups.  I was retrieving slower than normal with a 3/8 croc and it worked out.  If you're scared of the spoon dropping to fast and getting snagged, switch to a 1/4 spoon.

Man the one I lost took out crazy amounts of line at a super fast fate.  My spool was going crazy before it got loose.  Something tells me it wasn't a pink as none of the pinks I've hooked into have done that before.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #407 on: September 09, 2009, 08:29:25 AM »

Agreed.  I was out last night as well, and only saw one other person hook into a fish, while I hooked into 4 and landed 3.  I think people are retrieving too fast, hence no hook ups.  I was retrieving slower than normal with a 3/8 croc and it worked out.  If you're scared of the spoon dropping to fast and getting snagged, switch to a 1/4 spoon.

Man the one I lost took out crazy amounts of line at a super fast fate.  My spool was going crazy before it got loose.  Something tells me it wasn't a pink as none of the pinks I've hooked into have done that before.

I've had two of those this week - the first I fought for nearly 15 mins (I don't think it was pink!) before it got away.... it fought like a - dare I say - large coho?!?  was VERY silver every time it surfaced...
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

ejeffrey

« Reply #408 on: September 09, 2009, 10:22:50 AM »

Went out in the rain this morning for 45 minutes before work by No. 3 Rd in Richmond. Caught one male on a spoon. No other hits. Didn't see many fish either.

Derek::

« Reply #409 on: September 09, 2009, 10:38:26 AM »

the samething happened to me while i had a fish on.  when i saw the fish surface it jumped around and peeled my line down the river.  It was a big chrome fish, and i thought it wasn't a pink either. Lost it though.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #410 on: September 09, 2009, 10:53:25 AM »

I had one on yesterday that peeled line like crazy before I lost it.

Pretty sure it was a Coho.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #411 on: September 09, 2009, 11:04:54 AM »

Most of these larger fish that you are describing are chinook salmon, which are pretty common by-catches in the Tidal Fraser pink salmon fishery. You can intercept coho salmon from time to time in the Tidal Fraser River in September, but that is more common near the end of September than early September.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #412 on: September 09, 2009, 11:57:16 AM »

I know they have been getting spring jacks from the Haney warf.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

gheart008

« Reply #413 on: September 09, 2009, 01:16:26 PM »

Most of these larger fish that you are describing are chinook salmon, which are pretty common by-catches in the Tidal Fraser pink salmon fishery. You can intercept coho salmon from time to time in the Tidal Fraser River in September, but that is more common near the end of September than early September.

Ya I figured it was a chinook.  That or I snagged the poor guy and it went all ballistic on me  ;D

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #414 on: September 09, 2009, 01:50:18 PM »

what is the regs on springs right now.  i couldn't find anything but remember that it had to be 62cm.  in the tidal portion.  thanks.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #415 on: September 09, 2009, 01:56:01 PM »

for the first time I got "spooled" yesterday afternoon...it had to have been a large spring (not a sturgeon) because it took my spinner about 5 seconds after it hit the water, and it just kept peeling line...I ran down the river trying to catch up but it just kept going...I now know what its like to get "spooled"

good times!

Stu

« Reply #416 on: September 09, 2009, 02:26:11 PM »

I was fishing lover south Fraser today from 08:00 to 12:00.
It was coming down hard, by the time i got home i was completely soaked.
There were lots of fish jumping bot no hockups.
Then around 11:00 i got those to guys. Well, actually a male and a female, this is the 1st female i caught on a hock and line  :P

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

barnun

« Reply #417 on: September 09, 2009, 02:46:26 PM »

for the first time I got "spooled" yesterday afternoon...it had to have been a large spring (not a sturgeon) because it took my spinner about 5 seconds after it hit the water, and it just kept peeling line...I ran down the river trying to catch up but it just kept going...I now know what its like to get "spooled"

good times!
I almost got spooled in '07 with a pink, that i did get in after chasing after it, ended up being about a 9 or 10 pound male on my little 6' trout spinning rod...one of the best fights I ever had...hopefully I'll connect with a pink of that size this year aswell

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #418 on: September 09, 2009, 02:47:47 PM »

wow, so nice and silver.

Stu

« Reply #419 on: September 09, 2009, 03:17:40 PM »

wow, so nice and silver.

What do you mean?
Or just working on you tread count?  :o :o :o
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.