Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2009?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon  (Read 211671 times)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Re: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon
« Reply #450 on: September 10, 2009, 03:25:02 PM »

Pink jigs with pink rubber tails.  Cheap like me and they work great.  A pink spoon or spinner costs $3-$5.  You can make 50 or so jigs for $10.  Bend the hook in to avoid snagging fish and the bottom.  I also cut off about an inch of the rubber body to make it smaller.

This season has been my first pink season and started with spoons and had decent success but since I switched to jigs I haven't used a spoon again.

Tomorrow I will try and stick a pink rubber tail on a weighted fly and have a feeling I will be having a lot of fun...

Scooterguy

« Reply #451 on: September 10, 2009, 04:10:17 PM »

I hooked 3 and land 2 on Rodney's spinner which I bought in 2007 at South Arm last week. ;D ;D

ejeffrey

« Reply #452 on: September 10, 2009, 04:46:15 PM »

Does anyone fish for pinks at the entrance to Deas Slough? Seems like a place the fish might hold on an outgoing tide. Is this true?

Nitroholic

« Reply #453 on: September 10, 2009, 05:38:59 PM »

Does anyone fish for pinks at the entrance to Deas Slough? Seems like a place the fish might hold on an outgoing tide. Is this true?
I have seen people fishing from boats and from shore there.

samw

« Reply #454 on: September 10, 2009, 08:23:47 PM »

What do you guys think of using the pink Kokanee Killer Echip lure for catching pinks?  It has 2 single hooks on it.  According to the regulations for Area 29 tidal portion of the Fraser River, "A person may angle in the tidal portion of the Fraser River with two hooks, ... attached to a fishing line" so I'd like to try it out.

http://www.protroll.com/products/kokanee-killers/
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:01:08 PM by samw »

Nitroholic

« Reply #455 on: September 10, 2009, 08:59:07 PM »

What do you guys think of using the pink Konanee Killer Echip lure for catching pinks?  It has 2 single hooks on it.  According to the regulations for Area 29 tidal portion of the Fraser River, "A person may angle in the tidal portion of the Fraser River with two hooks, ... attached to a fishing line" so I'd like to try it out.

I'd guess you'd have to put some weight above the lure to make it work. Looks like plastic

Aurora

« Reply #456 on: September 10, 2009, 09:06:23 PM »

Pink jigs with pink rubber tails.  Cheap like me and they work great.  A pink spoon or spinner costs $3-$5.  You can make 50 or so jigs for $10.  Bend the hook in to avoid snagging fish and the bottom.  I also cut off about an inch of the rubber body to make it smaller.

I used to swear by rubber worms but have had poor results with them this year.  Switched to spoons (including Rodney specials), and seem to be doing better.

samw

« Reply #457 on: September 10, 2009, 09:54:06 PM »

Samw, the regs say "It is prohibited to use more than one line when sport fishing in the tidal waters of the Fraser River. While only one line per angler may be used, gear designed to catch a maximum of two fish at one time (bar rig) is permitted in this area, provided that two single barbless hooks are being used." I would say it says a bar rig is okay but not a lure with 2 hooks. Bottom of the page http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.htm

But what about this?

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/fraser-eng.htm

"Gear permitted: One line per angler only; and single barbless hook only. A single barbless hook is a barbless hook with only one point. A treble hook is not considered to be a single hook.As per subsection 8(2) of the British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations (1996). A person may angle in the tidal portion of the Fraser River with two hooks, artificial lures or artificial flies, attached to a fishing line. (Bar rigs with single barbless hooks are acceptable)."

Isn't this lure "2 hooks attached to a fishing line"?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 09:56:20 PM by samw »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #458 on: September 10, 2009, 10:22:16 PM »

I'm guessing the DFO has jurisdiction over salmon, while the provincial gov (BC) has jurisdiction over trout.  Remember that DFO is Federal, which is a different jurisdiction than the Province of BC.  So it may depend on what you're fishing for?  To be on the safe side, I'd go with the more restrictive requirement - especially if I was targeting salmon.  ;)

UFC

« Reply #459 on: September 10, 2009, 10:24:23 PM »

Pink jigs with pink rubber tails.  Cheap like me and they work great. 

Cutthroat 22.
I agree with your jig comments. They are very underrated and work well.......even more so on the Harrison in clearer water  ;)

Brian

« Reply #460 on: September 10, 2009, 10:37:26 PM »

I'm having trouble visualizing this.  Do you mean pink jig heads with rubber tails?  Any pictures of your completed lure, along with the bend in the hook to avoid snagging?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #461 on: September 10, 2009, 10:54:12 PM »

Out with the boat (also seen 3 other boats out fishing by Steveston Island) in the afternoon & at times it was"interesting"...the tide was pushing up against a good out flow (rains we had) plus there was a very strong NW wind adding to some swells/standing waves/whitecaps/ ..... then after the tide stopped advancing...the river settled alot . But with this steady wind still blowing we got into 5- 5.5 fters...some were possibly 6 fters ..........on the south side of the river. When your boat's bow has water at the top...& wind shield totally wet from spray.....ya know your in some rough water. INTERESTING & God is my witness... as I cut through the waves at a 45 degree angle as I was aiming for the enterence of the Steveston Harbour LITERALLY seen schools of fish in the big waves !!!! Seen at least 6-8 fish(in the schools) ...looked like pinks to me. Then as our boat got half way across the river...it totally calmed down. Then I seen a guy who goes by Canuck Sea Hunter an owner of a 15ft Arima. Aprox 4 people on the boat & he says he was out at Sandheads ...according to him it was not rough out there !!!!! Man...with that wind ya would of thought it would of been crazy at the mouth...etc.... Two boaters told me they got 1 each.  2X alittle line pulled out from the reel 2-3in ... so possibly I got a hit??? The fish definately were in those high waves across the river from Steveston BUT there is NO WAY I'm fishing with my stern facing those SUCKERS. (waves) Did see about 6 fish jump in this wind water today. :)(wife was a little "scared" in the boat today...) It's only 15ft 11in. but 7.6 wide.....maybe Canuck Sea Hunter stayed nexted to the north jetty so the NW waves would of hit the jetty on the north side of it. (if he would of went past the lighthouse he would of been in open water & the waves must of been monsters.)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:06:30 PM by arimaBOATER »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #462 on: September 10, 2009, 11:51:44 PM »

I'm having trouble visualizing this.  Do you mean pink jig heads with rubber tails?  Any pictures of your completed lure, along with the bend in the hook to avoid snagging?

What I mean is to take a pair of pliers and bend the hook inwards rather then the point being able to snag things.  I started doing this on the Stave River to avoid snagging rotten salmon.

And yes I mean the pink jig heads with rubber tails.  Some people like to tie them with marabou but I find the rubber tails work fine and are cheap and less work involved.

I do not have a picture as I'm at work now but maybe that clears it up a bit?

Nibbles

« Reply #463 on: September 11, 2009, 01:35:57 AM »

I have to try the jig thing and does Rodney still have his special spoons for sale?  I checked a few shops and they are out of pink buzz bombs.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #464 on: September 11, 2009, 07:19:41 AM »

What do you guys think of using the pink Kokanee Killer Echip lure for catching pinks?  It has 2 single hooks on it.  According to the regulations for Area 29 tidal portion of the Fraser River, "A person may angle in the tidal portion of the Fraser River with two hooks, ... attached to a fishing line" so I'd like to try it out.

Pretty sure they are not allowed.

The only exception to the single hook regulation is a bar rig.