Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2009?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon  (Read 211539 times)

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
Re: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon
« Reply #510 on: September 15, 2009, 08:40:14 AM »

Fished from the boat at the west end of macmillan island on the incoming tide yesterday. 1 in the boat, lost one and had one follow the lure right to the surface. Lots showing, but not many biting...

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #511 on: September 15, 2009, 11:56:16 AM »

Fished off the boat last night around Richmond area.  10 hooked 7 landed in 2 hours.  Great day.

Mornings = Deas Island
Evenings = Richmond

Follow the fish for more success!
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

aquaholic

« Reply #512 on: September 15, 2009, 05:32:22 PM »

I found myself slowly working up river to keep up with the runs, usual spots are getting slower and slower as they days go on

tumbleweed

« Reply #513 on: September 15, 2009, 05:59:48 PM »

Fished for a hour today after work near the Mission Bridge. Landed three, but the last 5 and half pound male snapped my rod in half.....lol that ended my fishing trip :'(

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #514 on: September 15, 2009, 07:35:28 PM »

Fished for a hour today after work near the Mission Bridge. Landed three, but the last 5 and half pound male snapped my rod in half.....lol that ended my fishing trip :'(

that sucks, a pink did the same thing to me a week ago.

I got 10 years out of her, it was time

Candian tire has Fenwick HMX on for $149.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #515 on: September 15, 2009, 08:25:41 PM »

Trolling in the "sun & fun" across from Steveston area on the south side of the river. Lots of fish showing ...at times 5 fish on finder display. The (I think it was a gator spoon)...spoon bought recently which I put to use on my dad's rod...got one big fish on...Had a DEEP SIX with 35 pulls of line out. The fish I assume was a coho as it jumped high out of the water. As my dad reeled in the line...the fish was near the back of the boat took a run along the stern & the line was sawed off by the kicker motor. ( had the kicker in neutral) ----Fish was aprox 36in....bright silver side & dark top & my dad's rod had a big curve or bend with this fish on. That's 2 lures taken recently by big fish !!!!! The water conditions were great as it was so calm & the sun was warm !!! The same area 5-6 days ago had 5-6ft.waves pushed by a NW wind & literally the boat was nose diving into the next coming wave...with my wife going 6in airbourne as she was in the cuddy (ha) ......(actually can't say too much as I have to admit pt of me was feeling a touch "fearful" in those conditions...but across the river ...north side the river was calmer) Some are still reporting catching lots of pinks in Richmond ...way to go. :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 08:34:21 PM by arimaBOATER »

marbles

« Reply #516 on: September 15, 2009, 08:30:07 PM »

nice fish story tumbles lol ;D

funpig

« Reply #517 on: September 15, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »

It's been 8 days since I caught my last pink.  I fished almost every day, sometimes morning, sometimes evening.  I had a few on in the last eight days but could not land one.  I was getting more than frustrated.

This evening, I went after work and fished the high tide for about 90 minutes.  Initially, it did not look promising.  Suddenly, I saw some people hitting fish down river from me.   Five minutes later, seven fish on;  three landed;  kept two;  gave one to a guy who stopped by to watch and helped me net two of the fish;  got one dew melon from him in return;  all in about 15 minutes and about 30 casts.  I have never limited out before, but decided this was more than enough.  So I cleaned the two fish, got home and am planning to eat one once the family gets home.

I don't know what I did right today.  Maybe it's because last night I finally epoxied the loose rod tip guide or did a little maintenance on the old reel.  Or maybe its because I went down to that Steveston Marine store and bought a new $4 lure, small pink and white spoon (I usually buy the cheap $1.99 ones but they are all sold out everywhere).  It was just luck, being in the right place, when the fish happened to come by and be in a mood to bite.  Maybe, it will still be good over the next week.  But, if this is it, it was a nice way to finish the season.  BTW, I finally caught up to my 13 year old son for the season, 7 to 7.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:39:43 PM by funpig »

tumbleweed

« Reply #518 on: September 15, 2009, 08:42:23 PM »

nice fish story tumbles lol ;D
LOL....Fish on!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #519 on: September 15, 2009, 09:48:44 PM »

I don't know what I did right today.  Maybe it's because last night I finally epoxied the loose rod tip guide or did a little maintenance on the old reel.  Or maybe its because I went down to that Steveston Marine store and bought a new $4 lure, small pink and white spoon (I usually buy the cheap $1.99 ones but they are all sold out everywhere).  It was just luck, being in the right place, when the fish happened to come by and be in a mood to bite.  Maybe, it will still be good over the next week.  But, if this is it, it was a nice way to finish the season.  BTW, I am finally up one fish over my 13 year old son for the season, 7 to 6.

Some days you can't catch a fish to save your life. Other days you can't keep them off your line. That's fishing.

red_sir

« Reply #520 on: September 15, 2009, 10:05:16 PM »

Got to the South arm at about 6 tonight. Saw a decent amount of fish surfacing. Landed a little doe on my 2nd cast. Hooked into a couple more fish in the next half hour (didn't land) before things slowed down. There were at least 7-8 hookups by other people in the hour I was there. Overall was one of the better outings I've had at the South arm since last weekend.

PS. Seemed like the fish were fighting harder than usual. 

littlerope

« Reply #521 on: September 15, 2009, 10:18:48 PM »

well i was fishing in the fraser river just east of the golden ears bridge from about 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock on sunday and even though the pinks were rolling and jumping all around us, they didn't give our offerings a second look. water visibility was very poor, and i can only surmise the fish couldn't see the spoons, jigs, and spinners we were chucking. the incoming tide was pushing them up the river, and they were'nt interested in eating. no-one around us was catching anything either. so, as a fraser newbie, i think it's only realistic to think that successful pink fishing should only be attempted in relatively clear water, and when the tide has stopped running. maybe later on in the late afternoon/evening, and further east on the river past mission. any comments from the veteran fraserites? thanks.

fish007

« Reply #522 on: September 15, 2009, 11:34:40 PM »

Hi everyone,
I am new to Pink fishing. Is SPin N Glo good for Pink fishing? I mean just change the spinner or spoon to a Spin n Glo. Did anyone have experience of this?

pacific flyer

« Reply #523 on: September 16, 2009, 05:56:49 AM »

I've hooked 7 pinks but for some reason i couldnt land them.. the hook would pop out near the surface or pop after a hit.

I'm familiar with "casting with a spoon technique" - my tip of the rod would be just above the surface of the water while retrieving the spoon, and once i feel the hit.. i'd raise my rod and keep the tension on.

my question is.. is it the size of my hook? (size #2 or size #1)   and is there a better way to set the hook when i feel the bite? i've heard that the pink's mouth is really soft so apparantly i shouldnt be too agressive?

i know its common to lose a fish... but every time?  hmmm..

any tips?

mr.p

« Reply #524 on: September 16, 2009, 06:37:31 AM »

I've hooked 7 pinks but for some reason i couldnt land them.. the hook would pop out near the surface or pop after a hit.

I'm familiar with "casting with a spoon technique" - my tip of the rod would be just above the surface of the water while retrieving the spoon, and once i feel the hit.. i'd raise my rod and keep the tension on.

my question is.. is it the size of my hook? (size #2 or size #1)   and is there a better way to set the hook when i feel the bite? i've heard that the pink's mouth is really soft so apparantly i shouldnt be too agressive?

i know its common to lose a fish... but every time?  hmmm..

any tips?

Take your time and don't rush the fish in.  Once you set the hook, maintain tension on the line and keep your rod tip up.  Let the fish wear itself out.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...