Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Got to thinking about seals what do you think?  (Read 3699 times)

fishyfish

Got to thinking about seals what do you think?
« on: August 23, 2009, 10:50:43 PM »

Have there been any numbers or studies kept on the number of seals that frequent our local waters? I figure they are one of the only marine beings that are not targeted by humans. Well there are others Whales etc. But anyway other than perhaps whales what controls the cull of seals in our local waters? How much damage do they do on the numbers of herring, smelts, cod, and salmon? What do you figure?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Got to thinking about seals what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 11:01:49 PM »

Greater Vancouver's human population has more than doubled since the mid 80's. What and how much direct and indirect damages have they done on the numbers of herring, smelts, cod and salmon?

yakideath12

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 11:05:27 PM »

Greater Vancouver's human population has more than doubled since the mid 80's. What and how much direct and indirect damages have they done on the numbers of herring, smelts, cod and salmon?

true

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:18:32 PM »

the seal population has increased 10 fold since the mid 80s.

I don't have a problem with migratory seals and sea lions, but the resident seals are a problem.
maybe there's a market for them?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 11:25:20 PM »

No. Strait of Georgia harbour seal population has increased from 4,000 in the 1960s after artificial population control was ceased to 40,000 today. Today's population is considered as stable, reaching carrying capacity, similar to the 1800s prior to significant harvest by human.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 12:24:31 AM »

They will thin out as food becomes scarce.
As in what Smelt ?What Herring?What cod?What Salmon?
Dont worry about what the Seals are eating.
We are wiping the fish out much faster than any other creature could even come close to.
Its a food chain and when the food isnt there the chain is broken.
There used to be vast amounts of fish in Indian Arm/Burrard Inlet.
Salmon Ling Cod you name it was there and so were the Anchovies that many fish depended on.
Guess who wiped out the Anchovies.
Yup,we did.
I dont like Seals either but lets not go killing them because the fish stocks arent there.
Lets just say they are dangerous and then it will be ok to wipe em out.
Besides,how could you turn down an invite to a good ol fashioned clubbin. ;)

skunked

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 12:52:20 AM »

how do they taste ? :-*

twocoaster

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 08:16:20 AM »

Human impact is infinitely greater than seal activity. From the perspective of most forms of wildlife, and "natural" balance within and between ecosystems, humans are a virulent disease. A truly pristine ecosystem, anywhere on the globe, is an historical nicety.

Rod states that S of G seal population is thought to be similar to 1800's number; it seems that their food sources have not enjoyed the same rebound.

One of the main pillars of wildlife management is that once a "balance" has been upset, it is our responsibility to help restore that balance. One of the most logical and efficient tools to do so is a seal cull, since a human cull is unpopular.

Sadly, this will never happen for two primary reasons: 1) there are too many whiny (misdirected) animal lovers among the public, who see seals as cute, little, huggable playthings, often in pretty white coats (harp seal pups). 2) DFO "manages" such things and couldn't manage a dogfight.

tc

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 08:41:06 AM »

how do they taste ? :-*

Ask our federal politicians. Here they are sharing a plate of seal meat.
http://

speycaster

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 08:50:19 AM »

I think it is time for a human cull, especially on the lower mainland. Too damn many people there, it needs at least a 90% cull. I wonder what those cappuccino creatures taste like. ;D

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 09:34:48 AM »

Seals are important to the echo system and healthy population of fish.
Seals will chase the schools of fish around, but they will only manage to catch the weakest fish.  This means that they will catch the sick fish and that will eliminate the spread of whatever disease from that school.  Plus, when you see seals bobbing out of the water, then you know there are fish around :)  They are good animals to have around.
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 11:32:50 AM »

Saw a few seals around on Sunday morning - probably looking for Pinks like everyone else.

Heard some gunfire from fish boats on the water near the Alex Fraser bridge - presumably scaring or otherwise affecting seals.

Brian

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 11:47:03 AM »

One of the most logical and efficient tools to do so is a seal cull, since a human cull is unpopular.

haha.  It's only unpopular when it affects people you like.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 12:04:48 PM »

Saw a few seals around on Sunday morning - probably looking for Pinks like everyone else.

Heard some gunfire from fish boats on the water near the Alex Fraser bridge - presumably scaring or otherwise affecting seals.

I'd go with "otherwise affecting".....if they are stupid and ignorant enough to be firing from a boat, they have met the prerequisite for shooting seals illegally. 

canuckjgc

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 02:30:21 PM »

I can't get over why people would shoot seals to improve fishing.  Saw it once and I got out of there -- not going to confront an armed person.