Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seymour River fishing spot?  (Read 35550 times)

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
Seymour River fishing spot?
« on: August 27, 2009, 08:34:34 AM »

I've never been to the Seymour river before and I'm interested to explore it a bit.
Where are the good spots for fishing on Seymour River from the mouth of the river up to the hatchery?  Where is a good spot to park and start my exploration from there?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 11:14:45 PM by Rodney »
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

jimmywits

Re: Seymour River fishing sport?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:56:06 AM »

I've never been to the Seymour river before and I'm interested to explore it a bit.
Where are the good spots for fishing on Seymour River from the mouth of the river up to the hatchery?  Where is a good spot to park and start my exploration from there?
Thanks.
I live quite close by and have been pondering doing that same thing. I know that you can park in the Seymour Demonstration forest parking lot and take a trail down to fisherman's trail which runs most of the length of the river. That about exhausts my knowledge on this underused resource, but I would like to learn more also. I am not interested in fishing the mouth as it becomes a gong show when the pink's show up!
regards  Jimmywits

SpringMaster

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 09:43:32 AM »

I live quite close by and have been pondering doing that same thing. I know that you can park in the Seymour Demonstration forest parking lot and take a trail down to fisherman's trail which runs most of the length of the river. That about exhausts my knowledge on this underused resource, but I would like to learn more also. I am not interested in fishing the mouth as it becomes a gong show when the pink's show up!
regards  Jimmywits

Thanks Jimmywits.
Have you done any fishing along the fisherman's trail before?  have you had any success?
I used to go for a bike ride on SD forest. :)  I like that area.
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

jimmywits

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 10:27:28 AM »

Thanks Jimmywits.
Have you done any fishing along the fisherman's trail before?  have you had any success?
I used to go for a bike ride on SD forest. :)  I like that area.

No, I never have fished the river, I have hiked along the fisherman's trail scouting out places to fish, but that is as far as I've gone. I fish Rice Lake(which is in the vicinity) in the spring and fall when I only have a few hours to go fishing, but I have a curiosity for the river and I don't see any reason for there not being fair numbers of resident trout.

SpringMaster

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:12:04 AM »

is the fisherman's trail easy to walk?  is it right beside the river? how long is the walk from the parking to get to ther river?
is there room for fly fishing?
Thx

jimmywits

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:58:08 PM »

is the fisherman's trail easy to walk?  is it right beside the river? how long is the walk from the parking to get to ther river?
is there room for fly fishing?
Thx
The portion of the fisherman's trail that I walked was vey easy. It is mostly right beside the river, but does swing away for some portions as I recall. The walk from the parking lot was approximatly 20 minutes or so to the best of my recollection. I think you could flyfish with waders. I also went down to it and along for a portion on my bike, so rigging up ones bike to pack your fishing gear may be the way to go.

patagonia

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 07:08:32 PM »

I live a block from the river and have fished it a few times in the fall but choose not to in recent years as the runs are in the process of recovering and although retention is allowed for Coho and Chinook I dont think its ethical to do so... the trout in the river from my experience are steelhead smolts and best left alone.... it is a beautiful river and has an amazing canyon section that is only accessible in a few spots but very dangerous... I have kayaked it many times in the fall/winter and wouldnt try exploreing it unless you know what you are doing. the fishermans trail which starts at twin bridges is great and easy access... u wont see any fish up there now as the river is very low.

jimmywits

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 07:31:05 PM »

I live a block from the river and have fished it a few times in the fall but choose not to in recent years as the runs are in the process of recovering and although retention is allowed for Coho and Chinook I dont think its ethical to do so... the trout in the river from my experience are steelhead smolts and best left alone.... it is a beautiful river and has an amazing canyon section that is only accessible in a few spots but very dangerous... I have kayaked it many times in the fall/winter and wouldnt try exploreing it unless you know what you are doing. the fishermans trail which starts at twin bridges is great and easy access... u wont see any fish up there now as the river is very low.
I would be surprised if there was not a healthy population of resident trout, and the regulations state trout/char release (including steelhead) so I think the word '' including'' demonstrates some credibility
to my hunch. I have absolutely no interest in fishing for half dead salmon in any waterbody! Why can't we just let them spawn!

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 08:28:54 PM »

saw some coho at the mouth,but they are being chased by seals and are spooked.pinks not there yet in any numbers.

patagonia

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »

trust me their isn't a healthy population of trout in the Seymour... there are a few but most "trout" that people catch there are smolts... the river floods out so much over the fall and winter that their are little nutrients in the river and therefore very few resident trout.

SpringMaster

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 04:34:44 PM »

I agree with leaving the unhealthy fish population alone so that the numbers can recover over time.  I'm a very careful fisherman even though i'm a novice I try to handle fish so that if I have to release it, it's still got some life to swim away.
I'm just interested in finding other spots to fish (and explore) so that I'm not standing shoulder to shoulder with other fishermen. 
If the river gets pinks and other salmon, then I think it will have a healthy environment, wouldn't it?  I belive pinks support other fish to survive, right?
Thx

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 06:09:34 PM »

I agree with leaving the unhealthy fish population alone so that the numbers can recover over time.  I'm a very careful fisherman even though i'm a novice I try to handle fish so that if I have to release it, it's still got some life to swim away.
I'm just interested in finding other spots to fish (and explore) so that I'm not standing shoulder to shoulder with other fishermen. 
If the river gets pinks and other salmon, then I think it will have a healthy environment, wouldn't it?  I belive pinks support other fish to survive, right?
Thx

It's so close and easy to access that overfishing is a serious concern when numbers are down.  Like any urban stream in the lower mainland its facing an uphill battle :(

jimmywits

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 08:42:47 PM »

Thx
The Seymour Salmonid Society run the Seymour River Fish Hatchery and Education center and I have been on their website and obtained contact names and e-mails and cell numbers of managers and Board members, so I am going to ask educated people about the status of the fishery in this river to draw my own conclusions. I would be happy to share my findings!

patagonia

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 10:19:35 PM »

Good plan... I am a member and if you have interest in this fishery and a Seymour local its a great group to join.

jimmywits

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 08:16:32 AM »

Good plan... I am a member and if you have interest in this fishery and a Seymour local its a great group to join.
Thanks, it seems like a good group, very impressive website. I could see myself doing some volunteer activities also.
     regards jimmywits