Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sage Rods - xp to z  (Read 6949 times)

Clarki Hunter

Sage Rods - xp to z
« on: August 27, 2009, 09:53:14 PM »

Just wondering if anyone has made the switch or felt the difference between the older XP and the new Z axis?  Perhaps someone could throw a comparison to a Loomis rod as well.

Thanks

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: Sage Rods - xp to z
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 10:33:57 PM »

Just had a couple of 10' z-axis rods built up in a 4 wt. and a 5 wt...haven't tried the 5 wt yet because I'm still using my 10' 5 wt. XP.  So far all I can tell you is that I really like the 4 wt.  It's quick, powerful and casts like a dream!  I'm heading back up to the cabin tomorrow night and feel it's time to break out the z-axis 5 wt.  After this weekend I can probably tell you more.

BTW, Kelly at Searun says his all time favourite rod is his 10' z-axis 4 wt. so that might tell you something.  Can't see how you can go wrong with either rod because I sure do like my XP, as well!  Cheers~

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 11:04:36 PM »

In line weights 3-5 both rods are fairly similar, but I would take an XP over a Z-axis in rod weights 6-8. The XP's are faster stiffer rods in general which really helps generate high line speed for shooting line and punch out line in the wind. The Z-axis has a bit more soul which are great for presentation and line control, but with hauling you can still launch a long cast. 

I just got an old school G. Loomis 6wt GLX, all matte black, which feels really fast and responsive. I'll let you know how it compares when I put some more water time with it  ::)

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:31:43 PM »

Thanks for the responses.  I do realize that alot has to do with personal preferece but it's very helpful to hear of what other's feel in these twigs. 

I'm trying to fill a 6wt gap (have reel no rod) and just need some help deciding.  I would like to hear how things are going with your rods. 

Thanks!

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:19:22 PM »

Agree with Chrome Mykiss, I have a 8100 XP which has been my work horse for salmon and some steelhead for abot 4 yrs now, when I'm not using the spey. But having said that, today I bought a 6101-4 Z-Axis for some coho fishing this fall, my XP is a bit over kill for coho IMO.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »

Agree with Chrome Mykiss, I have a 8100 XP which has been my work horse for salmon and some steelhead for abot 4 yrs now, when I'm not using the spey. But having said that, today I bought a 6101-4 Z-Axis for some coho fishing this fall, my XP is a bit over kill for coho IMO.

As a newbie to fly fishing,  I'm curious as to why an 8wt is over kill for coho?  And have you gotten out with the Z?  What lenght did you get?

koko

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 02:56:56 PM »

As a newbie to fly fishing,  I'm curious as to why an 8wt is over kill for coho?  And have you gotten out with the Z?  What lenght did you get?
I use a 6 or 7wt for coho, 8 IMO is over kill also. You can change direction on the the fish or use the river flow to your advantage to land the fish quicker. But 8wt is a very good around rod, we alway get into some chum or spring even you don't intend.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 11:29:14 PM »

Grabbed a 6wt for the pinks and coho...  I'll save the 8wt for my attempt at steelhead.

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 05:06:11 AM »

Most of the coho that I catch in and around the LM are under 10lbs, with the odd exception. So the 8wt is a bit over kill IMO, use it for steelhead along with my spey rods.
Haven't used the Z yet, but I'm starting holidays after today . The Z I bought is a 6101-4, can't wait! Look out pinks  ;D

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 09:20:10 PM »

Most of the coho that I catch in and around the LM are under 10lbs, with the odd exception. So the 8wt is a bit over kill IMO, use it for steelhead along with my spey rods.
Haven't used the Z yet, but I'm starting holidays after today . The Z I bought is a 6101-4, can't wait! Look out pinks  ;D

10' for a bit more distance I'm assuming?  The shop said that it's better for trolling as well?

Lotsa luck on the pink hunt!  My timing has been bad, everytime I go out it's quiet. 

koko

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 09:32:01 AM »

10' for a bit more distance I'm assuming?  The shop said that it's better for trolling as well?

Lotsa luck on the pink hunt!  My timing has been bad, everytime I go out it's quiet. 

10' for better mending, I don't find to give me more distance. It seem the action is slower because of the bigger arc

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 09:51:31 AM »

Personally I would think a shorter rod would be better for trolling, but I don't do much lake fishing or trolling.
I  bought the 10' for a bit more distance while beach fishing and chasing coho in still waters, it's what works for me.
Someone once said "walk quietly and carry a big stick" ::)

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 03:17:39 PM »

I went with the 9' for now.  May do up a 10' later on when my needs change.  I'm sure glad I got a 6wt tho...  you guys were right pinks are FUN on a 6.   ;D

koko

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 06:06:24 PM »

I went with the 9' for now.  May do up a 10' later on when my needs change.  I'm sure glad I got a 6wt tho...  you guys were right pinks are FUN on a 6.   ;D

Good for you, wait till you get a 14lb Coho on it.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 10:49:34 PM »

Good for you, wait till you get a 14lb Coho on it.

After the last couple of days I'm starting to wonder  ;D  These pinks really bend the heck outta the rod.  So much fun catching pinks on the 6wt Z!!!  As for the Coho, I'll probably have to run after a 14lber!