Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Derby Reach Springs.  (Read 3720 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Derby Reach Springs.
« on: August 28, 2009, 07:02:02 PM »

Hi all,

I am going up to Derby Reach on Sunday with my dad and some of his friends. I have heard that people are catching springs on a bar rig. Any tips (how far to cast, what size weights, what size spin n' glows, what pound test leaders to use etc.)

Thanks for any information,
Nicolas.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Derby Reach Springs.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 07:06:20 PM »

Hi all,

I am going up to Derby Reach on Sunday with my dad and some of his friends. I have heard that people are catching springs on a bar rig. Any tips (how far to cast, what size weights, what size spin n' glows, what pound test leaders to use etc.)

Nicolas.

Cast a ways out there as its a very gradual slope at Derby Reach. You want to be in 6-12 feet of water. I would go with 4-6oz of weight, no spin n glows just roe. Remember on the tidal Fraser you are allowed two hooks on a bar rig.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 07:27:09 PM »

What size hooks and what is the best colour for roe?

Thanks Nicolas.

doja

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:58:54 PM »

Was also wondering if you need a gravel bar for bar fishing or can you just throw it any where like muddy bottom???

Thanks,

Doja

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:12:02 PM »

from what I've read and been told, technically yes - "bar fishing" requires a bar (gravel/sand); but you can cast a bar rig with a big weight and let it sit on the bottom with some row/prawns etc. suspended about 1 or 2 feet off the bottom and you don't need a gravel or sand bar (but fishing off a bar is way better than not fishing off a bar); this way of fishing is called "plunking", not "bar fishing"...I see guys "plunking" all over the lower fraser in areas where there are no gravel bars

mr.p

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 09:24:46 PM »

I've been doing quite a bit of bar fishing in that area recently.
Standard bar rig, 3-4oz weight and roe.  I would also bring spawn mesh and some thread.
Put your roe in a sac and your ready to go.
Those bloody pikeminnows and whitefish will rob you blind if you do not use sacs.

More jacks than adult springs recently.
Bring a light rod for pinks too as they are moving through.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

hookme

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 01:18:19 AM »

Hi all,

Nicolas.
I just came there last weekend just remember on the far right of the small stream somebody told me there is a big Log  15 to 20 feet from the beach area if high tide..Goodluck!!

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 05:17:39 PM »

8) wow have not fished there in years. might have to go try it out once more. used to fish there when i was a kid and the fishing was hot. good luck to you all and tight lines. see ya on the vedder soon. 8) 8) 8) ;D