Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spincasting combos, which to buy?  (Read 1828 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Spincasting combos, which to buy?
« on: August 29, 2009, 01:52:32 PM »

Anyone know of a good spincasting combo which are also inexspensive? I want one that would be good for smaller salmon, with around 8lb mainline. Canadiantire has all theres on sale, are they decent?
The Bigger The Better!

Wulff Man

Re: Spincasting combos, which to buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »

army & navy also has great prices right now

doja

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 02:48:15 PM »

Anyone know of a good spincasting combo which are also inexspensive? I want one that would be good for smaller salmon, with around 8lb mainline. Canadiantire has all theres on sale, are they decent?

Most are "decent for the price" but stay away from plastic and spend the little extra on a reel as it will last a long time for a little extra cash. The plastic cheapos will die quickly, 1 yr from my experience with often hook ups. A good reel will last forever, well almost.

Another issue is the tip-top on the rod. I've had the incert fall out while fishing several times with different cheap rods, which is bad when you are fishing a hot spot and then your line keeps breaking??? No incert on tip-top and it was running over ruff metal, I was not happy. I would buy have a tackle shop put a new and much better on for $5-10 and save the future headache as ALL of my cheap rods had the same problem.

I'm taking one in right now as the tip-top fell out and destroyed my line so it cost me double to fix. I should have know better.

mr.p

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 07:58:31 PM »

I just picked up a cheapo combo at Canadian Tire.  Abu Garcia ultracast, 7', 4-12lb.
$40 for rod and reel.

Thats alot better than worrying about saltwater getting into my baitcasters.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

Paulo

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 10:41:11 AM »

Hey Bigfisher checkout the buy and sell as I am selling I think what you are looking for. Thanks, Paul.