Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Mouth, August 29th 2009: Located the Pinks  (Read 2280 times)

arimaBOATER

Fraser River Mouth, August 29th 2009: Located the Pinks
« on: August 29, 2009, 11:05:20 PM »

As I drank 4 beers & listened to some Elvis Presley dvd concerts to 2:30 AM ... by the time my dad & I got out to Sandheads (mouth of the Fraser R.) it must of been 2 PM or there abouts. WOW.... there must of been 40 boats out there ...mainly right at the mouth & also towards the south lighthouse. (normally ...99% of the time boats are near the north lighthouse & 2 sq miles N / NW from there) Man was there FISH or what !!!! Jumping where ever ya looked... but they were not biting !!!! At least for us they were not. I did not see people landing them...... But after 5 pm we had two on but lost them after 5 sec ---other one after 30 sec... Got 2 shakers.... then finally my dad got one on & it stayed on... 5 -6 lb male.  In the big garbage can which we use as a container...bonked it 4x...small hammer...bleed it ...put wet old t-shirt to cover.  One boater was coming in as we were putting the boat in said he was going to launch his boat again & fish by the coal port as he said the pinks are over there in numbers. He said he fished from the north lighthouse to the airport area.....(he never got anything) --- Well must of seen 100's of pinks jumping today. When we came in a boat behind us with 4-5 guys caught 5 pinks. Like I say the bite was not on till after 5pm. Even though there were so many pinks on the surface we never got a hit on surface lines .... but only on a deeper line... 12 oz lead & 5ft leader to a 3-4 in. pink colored dick nite as fish finder showed fish at 20 to 35 ft range. Only a matter of time till they head up river.... Also seen only 15 yards away from our boat a seal with a big fish in it's mouth....with 3 sea gulls looking for scraps as the seal took bites. The water was so calm & the sun was hot for this time of yr.  As mentioned seen 100's jumping & 100's & 100's just breaking the surface  :) (Nitroholic's report was "right on"...as he reported 1st about the pinks being at the mouth)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:21:16 AM by arimaBOATER »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Re: Fraser River Mouth, August 29th 2009: Located the Pinks
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:13:02 PM »

That is good report and good new. Thanks.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 11:04:47 AM »

If you guys spot a school is it out of the question to fly cast into them. From what I have found fishing them in the salt (from shore) if it is a bright day a small presentation (fly) will out fish spoons everytime. Not sure of the water clarity out there so just asking.
always a student

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 04:36:34 PM »

? strange they didnt bite    , id like to try very soon myself in that area but i dont know any boat launches around the mouth . can someone please help me out.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 04:45:15 PM »

MacDonald Beach Park on the north side of Iona Island has the closest boat launch, at least that's what I am aware of.

http://www.richmond.ca/asp/parks/park.asp?ID=78

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 09:21:11 PM »

yep... there at the mouth stackin up !

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 08:23:45 AM »

? strange they didnt bite    , id like to try very soon myself in that area but i dont know any boat launches around the mouth . can someone please help me out.

Mouth of the north arm or the main river, which or you asking about ?

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 05:32:54 PM »

well ibilly  , i was thinking about the main river (south arm) but  is there any launches in the north arm ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 06:06:13 PM »

well ibilly  , i was thinking about the main river (south arm) but  is there any launches in the north arm ?

MacDonald Beach Park on the north side of Iona Island has the closest boat launch, at least that's what I am aware of.

http://www.richmond.ca/asp/parks/park.asp?ID=78